CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Summer League Thread

Alright let's go. 

Here's the roster:

https://www.nba.com/magic/news/orlando-magic-announce-roster-for-nba-2k23-summer-league-20220629

And here's the schedule:

Of note is RJ Hampton is the only non rookie playing. Big year for him now, if he doesn't look like the best player on the floor in Summer League he might be out of the league a couple years from now. 

Paolo is going to have the ball in his hands a lot thought without Franz or Suggs there. Exciting times.

It's hard for us to admit it but RJ was one of our better catch and shoot players last year. Just have to train him to do that and defend. Can slowly get him a handle and teach him some better habits. He is fast but has almost no feel for the half court game.

2 hours ago, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

Apparently RJ asked to play in Summer League so he could get more reps and connect with the rookies. Good for him for putting in the work to improve his game over the summer. https://instagram.com/stories/orlandomagichq/2871426569986760117?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

If true, this makes me think much better of RJ, both as someone who is hungry and who is a leader. I’m not big on RJ - I think he has a low BBIQ and got by most of his career on great athleticism. 

I still don’t know if he’s in the league in 3 years, but this is much better news than my assumption of “no one play summer league except RJ… we need you to get more reps.” Perhaps he’s spinning it that way but that was my natural assumption when I saw the roster. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

If true, this makes me think much better of RJ, both as someone who is hungry and who is a leader. I’m not big on RJ - I think he has a low BBIQ and got by most of his career on great athleticism. 

I still don’t know if he’s in the league in 3 years, but this is much better news than my assumption of “no one play summer league except RJ… we need you to get more reps.” Perhaps he’s spinning it that way but that was my natural assumption when I saw the roster. 

I agree he seems to have low BBIQ but I think it has to do with what you mentioned of him relying solely on his speed and athleticism. If he focuses on the little things like finding the open man and driving/kicking it out instead of taking those high degree of difficulty layups he would be more effective on the floor. I think he knows this is a make it or break it year for him which is why he is wanting to get as many live game reps as possible to show the coaching staff he should be a part of this rotation due to his work ethic and leadership abilities.  

1 hour ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I believe in RJ. He has been playing out of position. He is a 2/3 not a 1. This is obvious and hopefully the coach realizes it. 

My exact sentiments