Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

It's time...

With preseason in full swing, let's throw our predictions up here. 

Best offensive player will be?

Best defensive player will be?

Team MVP will be?

Record will be?

Additionally, this will be our general season thread for the upcoming season. Go Magic!

This season is about three players: Wagner, Banchero and whomever the Magic pick in the first round of the loaded 2023 draft. They’re perfectly set up to take some baby steps forward, without going so far as to screw up that 2023 pick.

In particular, the surprise selection of Banchero with the top pick in the 2022 draft is massively important for a team that was 30th in offensive efficiency, 29th in free-throw rate and 28th in 3-point shooting a year ago. Those stark figures might help explain how he got the nod in a three-horse race over lanky shot blocker Chet Holmgren and switchy, twitchy Jabari Smith...

This is likely the last season in the rebuilding doldrums before the pressure turns up as well; the Magic are now working on the rebuild after the rebuild after the rebuild after Howard left. But you can talk yourself into a future here despite the sleepy present because the Magic are a high-level playmaking guard or two from being legitimately good. They’re big, they defend, they have potential All-Stars at the three and four, and they carry an impeccably clean cap sheet into the future. Just don’t hold your breath waiting for those results to come in 2022-23.

https://theathletic.com/3646099/2022/10/06/orlando-magic-preview-predictions/

It’s almost time!! I think we wind up in the 36-46 range. Sniff the play in but don’t quite get there, but we play some exciting basketball.

Also, just watched that Draymond/Poole footage, now is the time to go get Poole! No way those 2 can coexist after an altercation like that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

It’s almost time!! I think we wind up in the 36-46 range. Sniff the play in but don’t quite get there, but we play some exciting basketball.

Also, just watched that Draymond/Poole footage, now is the time to go get Poole! No way those 2 can coexist after an altercation like that.

Totally agree on going after Poole.

Best offensive player will be? Banchero

Best defensive player will be? Carter Jr

Team MVP will be? Wagner

Record will be? 28 Wins but a more fun year.

Is this not a playoff team ? My expectation and prediction is making the playoffs …Was talking with my son …how many lottery picks are on this roster ? Five, Six, Seven, Eight ??? …We have 2 number one picks on this team …We got Fultz and Isaac returning .

My son made this point …This is the season of Victor …teams are gonna be tanking like crazy …of all seasons to return to the playoffs …shouldn’t this be it ?

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

Is this not a playoff team ? My expectation and prediction is making the playoffs …Was talking with my son …how many lottery picks are on this roster ? Five, Six, Seven, Eight ??? …We have 2 number one picks on this team …We got Fultz and Isaac returning .

My son made this point …This is the season of Victor …teams are gonna be tanking like crazy …of all seasons to return to the playoffs …shouldn’t this be it ?

In theory we have the talent to push for the play-in, but we can’t catch a break with injury, again. Harris, Suggs, Fultz and I know it’s shocking, but still Isaac, have no timetable on their returns to the court. 

I also wouldn’t put it past management to push another tank directive for Wembanaya.

4 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

In theory we have the talent to push for the play-in, but we can’t catch a break with injury, again. Harris, Suggs, Fultz and I know it’s shocking, but still Isaac, have no timetable on their returns to the court. 

I also wouldn’t put it past management to push another tank directive for Wembanaya.

Fultz be back by the end of the month as should Gary be back too. 

Nah, the time for tanking is over.

Tanking should never be the plan to begin with, but this is where we are at. But right now we are stacked with top draft picks, we need to start pushing for on court success. Otherwise we are gonna end up wasting the rookie contracts we have and discount contracts of Fultz and Isaac if we keep the tanking thing up, and be stuck at square one.

I know we don't have any control as fans here on the forums, but my expectations are to fight for a play-in spot. If we are in contention for a top lottery pick again, im gonna see this season as a huge disappointment and a black mark on this FO.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Franchise408 said:

Nah, the time for tanking is over.

Tanking should never be the plan to begin with, but this is where we are at. But right now we are stacked with top draft picks, we need to start pushing for on court success. Otherwise we are gonna end up wasting the rookie contracts we have and discount contracts of Fultz and Isaac if we keep the tanking thing up, and be stuck at square one.

I know we don't have any control as fans here on the forums, but my expectations are to fight for a play-in spot. If we are in contention for a top lottery pick again, im gonna see this season as a huge disappointment and a black mark on this FO.

+1 from me on your post, which I completely agree with.  However, I won’t believe we’re good enough to win 30 games until I see it.  All this tanking has done a lot of harm.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

+1 from me on your post, which I completely agree with.  However, I won’t believe we’re good enough to win 30 games until I see it.  All this tanking has done a lot of harm.  

We might not be, but it's time to let these guys play and figure it out the hard way. 

Far as I'm concerned, the starting 5 needs to be Carter, Banchero, Wagner, Suggs, and Fultz, with a 5 man bench of Anthony, Isaac, Bamba, Okeke, and either Ross or Hampton, and let the youth play and develop. 

We aren't gonna get anywhere by trying to sabotage success for draft picks. If the team genuinely isn't good enough, then we can make an evaluation based on that and decide where to go from there. I *still* don't know how I feel about the Vuc trade, but we did get Wagner out of it so it looks like it wasn't all bad, but the time for trying to stock pile top draft picks is over. Fultz has 2 years left, Cole has 2 years left, Suggs and Wagner are on rookie deals for a couple more years, and contracts like Ross and Harris are about to come off the books. We have to look at what we have while we can afford to do it and will have money to afford any replacements.

2 hours ago, Franchise408 said:

We might not be, but it's time to let these guys play and figure it out the hard way. 

Far as I'm concerned, the starting 5 needs to be Carter, Banchero, Wagner, Suggs, and Fultz, with a 5 man bench of Anthony, Isaac, Bamba, Okeke, and either Ross or Hampton, and let the youth play and develop. 

We aren't gonna get anywhere by trying to sabotage success for draft picks. If the team genuinely isn't good enough, then we can make an evaluation based on that and decide where to go from there. I *still* don't know how I feel about the Vuc trade, but we did get Wagner out of it so it looks like it wasn't all bad, but the time for trying to stock pile top draft picks is over. Fultz has 2 years left, Cole has 2 years left, Suggs and Wagner are on rookie deals for a couple more years, and contracts like Ross and Harris are about to come off the books. We have to look at what we have while we can afford to do it and will have money to afford any replacements.

Again almost completely agree.  Only minor quibble would be starting Harris instead of Suggs if we want to see if this team can be any good but right now neither is available so it’s moot anyway.  

• Upvote 1