Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

With Grant gone and a new roster, who will be our leader this coming season?

quote:
Originally posted by Rodriguez:

To be honest it is very hard for me to pick someone to be a leader, the closer oner is Jameer but he needs to be a leader in the court not out the court.

well if nelson is going to be the leader he does need to be a leader on and off the court.

GO USA!!!!!

GO MAGIC!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by TrueMagicFan07:

I'm Sorry guys, but I don't see Dwight or Jameer being a leader on our team EVER!

Neither of those two guys ever get fired up enough when the ship is going down. I have never seen them with that serious look in their eyes when they are sitting on the bench. I think that Dwight and Jameer will not shed that "kid" inside of them for a long time.

I have never seen Dwight or Jameer in another players ear during a timeout the way I have seen players on other teams do it--(I don't mean that they should shout at a teammate, but point out some things or give words of encouragement).

You all may laugh at this, and I don't know if Bo Outlaw is still on the team, but I believe he could become the team's leader. I have always noticed Bo on the sideline standing and cheering the team on. He has been that way since his first stint with the Magic.

I've seen Jameer chuckle a few times while we were down (which I think he's realized is not "leader" quality), but I have never seen Dwight laugh it up.

The only player I see that suffers more than Dwight when we're down is JJ. He just hates losing.

once again i think the distinction is being blurred. a leader doesn't necessarily have to lead the team in points. you want a player who will get on his guys when they're not putting forth the effort needed to win, and to give encouragement to a player who's hot.

doesn't matter how many points they score, leave that to someone else. much like the quarterback in football, the team leader should FACILITATE the scoring and make the team worth more than the sum of its parts.

laugh if you want or heap scorn, but in the army, officers are our leaders. are they going to be the ones doing the most work (i refrain from saying 'doing the most killing')? no, that's not their function. they are to provide the leadership that makes a platoon better than just the individuals assigned to it.

i would like to see nelson step up as our leader. not only is he the 'quarterback' of the offense, but if he were to step up and excel as the leader as well, it would relieve alot of pressure off shard and d12, meaning they have alot more focus on destroying the opposition.

will it happen? i don't know. i certainly hope so. but as many of you on here know, magic fans are used to disappointment....

quote:
Originally posted by HighAngleEd:

once again i think the distinction is being blurred. a leader doesn't necessarily have to lead the team in points. you want a player who will get on his guys when they're not putting forth the effort needed to win, and to give encouragement to a player who's hot.

doesn't matter how many points they score, leave that to someone else. much like the quarterback in football, the team leader should FACILITATE the scoring and make the team worth more than the sum of its parts.

laugh if you want or heap scorn, but in the army, officers are our leaders. are they going to be the ones doing the most work (i refrain from saying 'doing the most killing')? no, that's not their function. they are to provide the leadership that makes a platoon better than just the individuals assigned to it.

i would like to see nelson step up as our leader. not only is he the 'quarterback' of the offense, but if he were to step up and excel as the leader as well, it would relieve alot of pressure off shard and d12, meaning they have alot more focus on destroying the opposition.

will it happen? i don't know. i certainly hope so. but as many of you on here know, magic fans are used to disappointment....

Well said, HighAngle. I totally agree.

Your biggest stars need to lead if you plan to be successful. Dwight has the character, charisma and work ethic to be that guy. But he is still only 21 and still learning, so I think Rashard has to be they guy until Dwight grows into it.

Time to earn that big contract.

I think Rashard is currently best suited for the role, but he first must show that he is willing to expend full energy on BOTH sides of the court.

If your leader "dogs it" on defense (for example), then the team will follow suit.

If Dwight ever gets tired enough of being mediocre, and starts getting in people's face, then he would be the best choice in the future.

Ideally as a team you would like to see your best player and hardest worker be your on the court leader but I really think like alot of you said Dwight is just to young to take on that role as of now.

In a perfect world the team would sign Armstrong and he could take on the role. He was an incredible leader and I still cannot believe that Doc let him go and made Tracy the "captain."

If Jameer can prove it on the court as well and give his all and not look so darn content with losing then I say as the "floor general" he should fill it just fine. They just need one voice who will get in someones face and challenge them when things are going bad. I really like that all these guys get along but sometime they are to buddy, buddy to see the big picture.

This is truly going to be an interesting 1st half of the season...

Jumping in this one late, I'll admit, but I'm not sure that Grant brought a lot of leadership to the table. He was kind of a lead-by-example guy (ie. think Tim Duncan) and was never the get-in-your-head leader.

Frankly, I think that role fell to Battie, just from what I've read. Also, it sounds like Jameer is showing a lot of traits along that line, too. I'd say, long-run, it'll probably be 'Meer, provided he sticks around.

i will be very clear. i am not a supporter of nelson. i was very dissappointed in his attitude on the bench which showed a lack of respect for his teammates and no interest in the game. he was not a leader on the floor and proved this time and time again by his selfishness. he will have to make a huge change in all areas to change me. i wish him the best of luck and hope he sees the light. jacklj

You know the more I think about it, JJ seems more likely. Think about it, the guy hates losing, he is fiery. If he can stay on the court he seems to have that kind of temperment to be a leader.

Darrell was never the best player on our team talent wise, he was the best leader we ever had though and he did it but not wanting to give up no matter what.

grant never led this team. he was the one that shold have in theory but never kept the guys in line or inspired the team by his hustle. Nelson could if he would quit smiling and being a good buddy. the best candidate is probably dooling as it has been said already. he is the one with the most energy and experience.