Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

With Grant gone and a new roster, who will be our leader this coming season?

Personally, I don't think Grant gave us much in that area anyway so leadership wise it's no big loss. Our young guys did look up to him so he was the one expected to provide for us in that area.

He's gone now, along with Darko and Diener. We've added Adonal Foyle and Rashard Lewis and Marcin Gortat. Barring a last minute trade with the Nuggets, this looks to be our roster for this coming season.

Leadership from players is 'vital' to the success of any team. Leadership has to come from someone other than the coaches. Players that will get on somebody's butt when the effort is not there.

Who do you see stepping into that role for this young team? You can pick multiple players or leadership by committee if that is what you think.

Regardless, with Grant gone, someone must step up into this role.

Personally, I don't think Grant gave us much in that area anyway so leadership wise it's no big loss. Our young guys did look up to him so he was the one expected to provide for us in that area.

He's gone now, along with Darko and Diener. We've added Adonal Foyle and Rashard Lewis and Marcin Gortat. Barring a last minute trade with the Nuggets, this looks to be our roster for this coming season.

Leadership from players is 'vital' to the success of any team. Leadership has to come from someone other than the coaches. Players that will get on somebody's butt when the effort is not there.

Who do you see stepping into that role for this young team? You can pick multiple players or leadership by committee if that is what you think.

Regardless, with Grant gone, someone must step up into this role.

I probaly would say Keyon Dooling would. Hes a got thats been around a while and has experienced more game situations than most of the players on the team. Hes pretty vocal so i think he might step up. But I wish Lewis would cause hes our goto guy, somebody we really gonna depend on putting up a consistent amount of points per game. Also hes 1 of the eldest veterens on the team for as playing years. So he too should step up and take charge. But if not them too, its gotta be the quarterback on the team. The guy that call the plays and set players up, Jameer Nelson. Them would be my picks. Either Nelson, Dooling, or Lewis.

Dwight and Nelson... Its time to grow up and lead this team. Nelson already proved he at least has the right idea with bringing the team to Philly, now all he needs to do is prove it on the court.

This is a great question Junkie. I think we all want and expect Dwight to make that big step, but I just don't see him progressing that quickly. If he does, then that'd be incredible, but I feel that either Rashard or Jameer are going to take that role next season.

I really hope it's Dwight though.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

Dwight and Nelson... Its time to grow up and lead this team. Nelson already proved he at least has the right idea with bringing the team to Philly, now all he needs to do is prove it on the court.

WP,This is leadership and not PR stunts. The leader should have a significant impact on the game, like Howard or Lewis could have, but not MR. "All eyes on me".

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

I probaly would say Keyon Dooling would. Hes a got thats been around a while and has experienced more game situations than most of the players on the team. Hes pretty vocal so i think he might step up.

Dooling has my vote. And for all the reasons mentioned by Rob.

I noticed how Dooling handled questions during postgame interviews. He always have that air of confidence about him both in the game and during interviews. I just have the feeling that Grant Hill was not the only leader in the locker room--In my opinion, Dooling was too. Don't forget, he also played under Stan Van Gundy in Miami. I believe Stan will look to Dooling to provide leadership.

I'd love to see Nelson step into that leadership void, but I don't really see it happening. Honestly I think Rashard is going to step up big time and come out of Ray Allen's shadow here. Towards the All-star break, look for Howard to start becoming more vocal as the leader of the team as he makes his second appearance as an All-star but Rashard is going to be that guy to start the season.

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

WP,This is leadership and not PR stunts. The leader should have a significant impact on the game, like Howard or Lewis could have, but not MR. "All eyes on me".

Mr. "All eyes on me"? Who's that?