Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Salary Cap Experts! What's the truth with signing Darko and Vince?

First and foremost I am not an expert on all this business mumbo jumbo. Click this link and read this first:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/02/salary_drive_ca.html

I was always under the impression we could sign both of these guys. Here's a quote from Brian Schmitz blog:

quote:
Here's the catch:

The Magic can't sign Milicic for a high number --- and still hope to land a desperately needed scorer. I mean one worth starting.

Is this true? What if Carter agrees to take a cut in pay? What is the maximum amount of yearly pay Darko could make? If Darko gets the maximum is what Schmitz saying true(about only having 4 or 5 million to sign a scorer)? Is this question something that cannot be answered right now because of future adjustments in the "leaguewide" cap?

Understand the Junkie is extremely excited about the prospects of having Vince in Orlando. Various media outlets have already been stating Otis will pursue him this summer.

Can anyone break it down for me?

First and foremost I am not an expert on all this business mumbo jumbo. Click this link and read this first:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/02/salary_drive_ca.html

I was always under the impression we could sign both of these guys. Here's a quote from Brian Schmitz blog:

quote:
Here's the catch:

The Magic can't sign Milicic for a high number --- and still hope to land a desperately needed scorer. I mean one worth starting.

Is this true? What if Carter agrees to take a cut in pay? What is the maximum amount of yearly pay Darko could make? If Darko gets the maximum is what Schmitz saying true(about only having 4 or 5 million to sign a scorer)? Is this question something that cannot be answered right now because of future adjustments in the "leaguewide" cap?

Understand the Junkie is extremely excited about the prospects of having Vince in Orlando. Various media outlets have already been stating Otis will pursue him this summer.

Can anyone break it down for me?

I believe the maximum amount that Darko could get is 25% of the salary cap's worth. Which is around 13,250,000. THats the max. His status as a free agent will also affect our cap coz his salary will count as 200%. I'm not sure about this though.

this is where Brian is wrong

quote:
While the Magic have a budget and won't overpay (see DeShawn Stevenson), they have to think hard and long before saying goodbye to a young, skilled 7-footer they can pair with all-star Dwight Howard. The theory is that bigs are hard to find, and you just can't let them get away.

We let go of DeShawn because his role as a player is duplicable. But Milicic, I don't see us letting him go for nothing, if Otis decides to trade him, which is unlikely. If you look at Otis' comments, he knows the ins and outs of a trade. he said something like he won't trade a 21 year old big man for a 30 year old guard. From that alone, it makes sense. Sure VC has an unbelievable talent, but when it comes to long-term and position wise, there is no way you'd let go of a guy like Darko.

Darko is an interesting specimen. A big man with a good all-around talent. I think if we decide to pass on VC, the guy we could target is Pietrus. A good defender and a good scorer.

quote:
Originally posted by CRAZY SERB:

we made a big mistake when we gave battie 5mill last year....

i guess nobody will take his contract...

but we still can trade hedo and/or carlos...

Was that really a mistake? My opinion I don't believe so. I think he's a handy big man who will show value in a now back up role,?

How much does Grant Hill play into the fold if we plan on retaining him?

I'm with you Junkie I don't really look into this side.

quote:
Originally posted by CRAZY SERB:

we made a big mistake when we gave battie 5mill last year....

i guess nobody will take his contract...

but we still can trade hedo and/or carlos...

Battie isn't worth 5 million next year. he's bound to earn only 2.5 million. whats wrong with that?

quote:
Was that really a mistake? My opinion I don't believe so. I think he's a handy big man who will show value in a now back up role,?

How much does Grant Hill play into the fold if we plan on retaining him?

I'm with you Junkie I don't really look into this side.

if we retain Grant through the minimum, it wouldn't matter if we sign him when we are already over the salary cap.

It can happen, but some moves need to also happen. Meaning, they would also have to move Hedo/Carlos/Dooling/Battie to make room for another contract.

Schmitz I don't think is thinking about that, he is thinking about keeping the team as is. Another thing, doesn't the cap go up next year also? How does that benefit us?

I honestly think Brian is wrong in this article. With Grant's 16+ million coming off the backs, Darko's 5+ million coming off the books, and possibly Keyon opting out of his 3+ million contract for next year, I assumed we would have 22-25 million this summer. That would allow us to possibly resign Darko and Vince ... right? Somebody ask the realgm.com editor guy, please.

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

I honestly think Brian is wrong in this article. With Grant's 16+ million coming off the backs, Darko's 5+ million coming off the books, and possibly Keyon opting out of his 3+ million contract for next year, I assumed we would have 22-25 million this summer. That would allow us to possibly resign Darko and Vince ... right? Somebody ask the realgm.com editor guy, please.

i think it's not that easy...

ok, there's grant's 16mills + dooling's 3mills + pat's 3.5, but darko's contract will still be there until he leaves. i even think it'll be 200% of his current contract, that means about 10mill.

It all really depends on what they give Darko. I would think that Darko's agent will ask for a max deal but I really cannot see the Magic giving him one when this essentially is his rookie year. The other 2 teams with signifigant cap space I believe are the Bucks and Bobcats. The Hawks have it but their ownership is a disaster. I really do not see the Bucks or Bobcats throwing max dollars at Darko.

Right now there is 35.3 million dollars committed to salaries next season. If Dooling opts out it becomes 31.8 million. This years cap is 53.135 m with the luxury tax being set at 65.42 m.

The players the Magic lose are Garrity, BO, Travis, Hill and Dooling assuming he opts out.

You have room on the roster to sign 4 players. 1 of them will be a rookie pick and 1 of them could be Gortat so that leaves 2 positions to fill.

I think what Darko will end up getting is a contract very similar to Tyson Chandler which I believe this year is at 9 m and goes up through the contract caping at 12.75 m in 2010/2011. All in all I believe is 6 yr. 60 m. If some team hears the Magic are low-balling at 6-7m they can step in and offer 10 and force the Magic's hand.

Using hypotheticals if Darko resigns for 10 m and Vince signs for 15 m the salaries for next season are at 56.8 m. not including roster filler and Hill signing for vet min. So if the cap goes up say 6 million to 59 m then there is enough room to sign both of them. Although the next season Dwight is going to get a max deal, Jameer somewhere around the mid-level and Ariza has a player option after next season as well. Those guys are going to cost somewhere in the 25-30 m range for all 3. That would push the team way past the salary cap unless the tax level hits 80-85 m. That is why it may not be possible to sign both Darko and VC unless RDV wants to pay some hefty tax. Now you can stretch the cap to sign your own players but I do not know by how much.