Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Grade Our Draft

58 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give the Magic for their draft?

• A - Amazing
    • B - Solid
    • C - Not So Good
    • F - Awful

Uhh, did you watch true detective?

Dude I'm done talking with you. I like debating with people on here. I like disagreeing with people. I like hearing peoples thoughts. Hell I disagree with Cat all the time but I really respect his basketball knowledge and value his opinion at the end of the day. Can't say the same for you. Let's just leave it at that.

You can not like me, it's better that way. It's an internet forum, I'll live.

A to B

I am very happy with our draft. Of course when you have to consider the rank you give the draft initially straight after I do not see the argument "I give it a (enter rank) because we have not seen this person play yet". This is not a ranking on how well they do after their rookie season (or even during), but more so our initial reaction to the pick. That being said I stick with my A to B rank. I was happy with the pick from what I wanted from this draft, we had some options and I am glad we got the two players we did. I look forward to seeing (like all drafts) where our players ended up at the end of their first season.

Dude I'm done talking with you. I like debating with people on here. I like disagreeing with people. I like hearing peoples thoughts. Hell I disagree with Cat all the time but I really respect his basketball knowledge and value his opinion at the end of the day. Can't say the same for you. Let's just leave it at that.

You can not like me, it's better that way. It's an internet forum, I'll live.

lol I'm not sure where this is even coming from, but whatevs. You made the true detective comment, and I followed with my own.

They can say out loud that "Hezonja was our guy all along" - and perhaps he was - but judging from the war room's reaction when Porzingis was announced by the Knicks, I think that Porzingis was still the guy we wanted. Some guys you could see tensed up a bit and there were no smiles in the room like "Yes - we got our guy!"

Perhaps it was a game of Poker, but I just don't buy that we valued Mario above the 4 guys drafted ahead of him (and I am a HUGE fan of the pick).

They were happy. It was shown in a video. The magic draft part video was late showing the war room but they stated the joy in the room as well.

They were happy. It was shown in a video. The magic draft part video was late showing the war room but they stated the joy in the room as well.

They were also laughing as they showed the Knicks fans all upset over the pick. Alex Martens in particular really seemed to get a kick out of the little boy crying after the NY pick was announced, lol! You could see what they were laughing at and how the feed was delayed by the TV that was on in the war room, it wasn't any great detective work.

They were also laughing as they showed the Knicks fans all upset over the pick. Alex Martens in particular really seemed to get a kick out of the little boy crying, lol!

So I'm re-watching the War Room right now to find out if I was write or not about the reaction as I remember it, and I ran into a couple of things:

1. Rob Hennigan's reaction to Russell over Okafor by the Lakers: "Wow.... wow...."

2. Henny never even made a call (or got a call) during Philly's pick, signifying that had already made a decision they weren't giving up assets to move up to get Okafor, even though they seemingly valued him more than Russell. Additionally, once the pick was in, the assistant GM got a call next to Rob and when he hung up the phone, gave Rob the information and he mouthed, "Okay. Good." Seemingly I guess saying that they were happy the team picked Okafor.

3. As soon as the Okafor picked was announced, Rob grabbed his phone and began texting someone. In my mind, with such a quick reaction, he's texting someone in the Knicks brass or an insider on what the Knicks are looking at doing. About a minute later, he's on his phone texting again. Another minute passes and he's back on his phone responding to a text.

4. Scott Skiles says something funny as Okafor is hugging his family and the room laughs. Rob answers something along the lines of "I know, right?" I'm assuming it has to do with the fact that Okafor looked severely dismayed he was going to Philly.

5. Rob gets up and starts to pace. Someone off camera makes a comment and the room laughs. He says, "Yeah" with a smile. He sits back down but shortly again stands back up to go to the side where someone is showing him something on a computer. He's partially in the camera but then is told by someone behind the camera he's on camera and steps out of the camera fully.

6. The Read-headed guy next to Scott Skiles shows Scott and the assistant GM something on his phone... I can only assume this is a Woj tweet about the Knicks pick. Both parties look at it matter of factly but neither look excited - more somber. The redhead looks really dismayed. Alex Martins is shaking his head. Rob is watching the TV partially out of frame, but you can tell his body language isn't overly chipper like it was moments beforehand. He sits back down and texts, then stands up and goes out of frame as the pick is announced. Comes back and texts again.

7. When Porzingis is announced, the room does have some laughter - I'm assuming at the Knicks fan reaction. Alex Martin in particular begins to chuckle.

8. Rob and the red headed guy are now texting furiously for the next 2-3 minutes. I'm assuming they're fielding trade offers. One of the scouts in front is doing something and the redheaded guy looks up seriously and points down, like either he wants volume down on what he's doing. Not sure. But it's tense between him and Rob. Rob at one point looks up at the highlights of Porzingis and just watched blankly as he holds his phone. The assistant GM next to him has been watching for the last 2 minutes. Everyone watches the interview of Porzingis in the Knicks hat intently.

9. After the interview, I think I make out Rob saying something along the lines of "Poor Porzingis" and everyone in the room laughs and adds little things. I see Rob mouth "Mario" and Alex mouth "Mario" as in they're settled in on him as a good consolation prize. Rob and Scott stand up, hands in pockets, looking like they're contemplating something. Rob goes off screen and then comes back and on begins to high five everyone - as many of us saw on the monitor.

I'm not saying I don't doubt they liked Hezonja, but I also think their sites - based on what I'm seeing - were set on Porzingis.

• Upvote 1

That would make sense since they apparently did leak some information about Porzingis having a bad workout. I mean when does this organization share anything about workouts? I still think this worked out best for everyone, except maybe Porzingis, and I definitely think there is overwhelming support for Mario over Porzingis, particulalry on this board. Not that it matters all that much.

That would make sense since they apparently did leak some information about Porzingis having a bad workout. I mean when does this organization share anything about workouts? I still think this worked out best for everyone, except maybe Porzingis, and I definitely think there is overwhelming support for Mario over Porzingis, particulalry on this board. Not that it matters all that much.

Yeah. I think it all comes from the idea that Hezonja is something we can quantify. Athletic wing with good size for his position that can shoot the hell out of the ball. We see guys identical to him become stars. We see guys identical to him become solid starters. We see guys identical to him become role players.

Porzingis is another story. Guys like him are just not seen in the nba.

I'm happy he was picked before us so that if he sucks we can feel good about avoiding him and if he's transcendent then we don't have to live with passing on him.

So I'm re-watching the War Room right now to find out if I was write or not about the reaction as I remember it, and I ran into a couple of things:

1. Rob Hennigan's reaction to Russell over Okafor by the Lakers: "Wow.... wow...."

2. Henny never even made a call (or got a call) during Philly's pick, signifying that had already made a decision they weren't giving up assets to move up to get Okafor, even though they seemingly valued him more than Russell. Additionally, once the pick was in, the assistant GM got a call next to Rob and when he hung up the phone, gave Rob the information and he mouthed, "Okay. Good." Seemingly I guess saying that they were happy the team picked Okafor.

3. As soon as the Okafor picked was announced, Rob grabbed his phone and began texting someone. In my mind, with such a quick reaction, he's texting someone in the Knicks brass or an insider on what the Knicks are looking at doing. About a minute later, he's on his phone texting again. Another minute passes and he's back on his phone responding to a text.

4. Scott Skiles says something funny as Okafor is hugging his family and the room laughs. Rob answers something along the lines of "I know, right?" I'm assuming it has to do with the fact that Okafor looked severely dismayed he was going to Philly.

5. Rob gets up and starts to pace. Someone off camera makes a comment and the room laughs. He says, "Yeah" with a smile. He sits back down but shortly again stands back up to go to the side where someone is showing him something on a computer. He's partially in the camera but then is told by someone behind the camera he's on camera and steps out of the camera fully.

6. The Read-headed guy next to Scott Skiles shows Scott and the assistant GM something on his phone... I can only assume this is a Woj tweet about the Knicks pick. Both parties look at it matter of factly but neither look excited - more somber. The redhead looks really dismayed. Alex Martins is shaking his head. Rob is watching the TV partially out of frame, but you can tell his body language isn't overly chipper like it was moments beforehand. He sits back down and texts, then stands up and goes out of frame as the pick is announced. Comes back and texts again.

7. When Porzingis is announced, the room does have some laughter - I'm assuming at the Knicks fan reaction. Alex Martin in particular begins to chuckle.

8. Rob and the red headed guy are now texting furiously for the next 2-3 minutes. I'm assuming they're fielding trade offers. One of the scouts in front is doing something and the redheaded guy looks up seriously and points down, like either he wants volume down on what he's doing. Not sure. But it's tense between him and Rob. Rob at one point looks up at the highlights of Porzingis and just watched blankly as he holds his phone. The assistant GM next to him has been watching for the last 2 minutes. Everyone watches the interview of Porzingis in the Knicks hat intently.

9. After the interview, I think I make out Rob saying something along the lines of "Poor Porzingis" and everyone in the room laughs and adds little things. I see Rob mouth "Mario" and Alex mouth "Mario" as in they're settled in on him as a good consolation prize. Rob and Scott stand up, hands in pockets, looking like they're contemplating something. Rob goes off screen and then comes back and on begins to high five everyone - as many of us saw on the monitor.

I'm not saying I don't doubt they liked Hezonja, but I also think their sites - based on what I'm seeing - were set on Porzingis.

Good work.

Where did you rewatch the war room feed? There was a report that Knicks were in last min discussion with a handful of teams; one being Orlando. Like you said, they wanted Porzingis but the difference in evaluation wasn't worth the price of moving up for him.

Yeah. I think it all comes from the idea that Hezonja is something we can quantify. Athletic wing with good size for his position that can shoot the hell out of the ball. We see guys identical to him become stars. We see guys identical to him become solid starters. We see guys identical to him become role players.

Porzingis is another story. Guys like him are just not seen in the nba.

I'm happy he was picked before us so that if he sucks we can feel good about avoiding him and if he's transcendent then we don't have to live with passing on him.

True. I'm very happy with Hezonja pick, though. Mario will contribute immediately.

Ha..I love the War room recap. That was a great post to read.

I see it just like Payton does. And Mario can contribute right away - Porzingis probably can't.