Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Schmitz says Brian is trying to lighten up his rigid, demanding style-(blog)

quote:
Coach, Key Players Skip Practice

Magic Coach Brian Hill, along with Dwight Howard and several key players, did not attend Tuesday's practice at The Palace In Auburn Hills, home to the Pistons.

Howard, Grant Hill and Hedo Turkoglu were among those who skipped the practice --- not that it was much of a practice. It concluded with assistant coaches and players squaring off in a shooting contest.

The most surprising development was Coach Hill taking a day off.

Actually, it's the right thing to do at this point in the season, although I'm still surprised that Hill ---- a day before facing the Pistons in a playoff race --- opted for rest over running plays.

Some players grumble that Hill is too demanding, works them too hard. But he has shown restraint as of late, taking days off that will help his team physically, emotionally and mentally.

It's more important that Howard and Hill have fresh legs.

Thursday, the Magic will have another off day and visit with owner Rich DeVos and team president Bob Vander Weide in Grand Rapids, Mi.

They then will practice Friday in Philadelphia to prepare for the Sixers.

Sometimes, less is more.

There you have it ladies and gentleman. Everybody knows the first time Hill got fired with Penny and the boyz most players complained of too many long, tiring practices and his rigid demanding style. Schmitz says he's backing off as evidenced by this blog. Let's see if it helps in the performance of the team.

Honestly though, there's a part of me that agrees with Brian's former style. I've done some coaching and I firmly believe that working hard in practice pays off. I'm a proponent of the old saying, "you play like you practice".

I know, I know, now a days you can't handle million dollar NBA athletes like that. Just my opinion.

Lastly, I've seen that little team meeting at VanderWeides house on Thursday well publicized. Looks like there gonna make it an all day thing. I wonder what will transpire on the visit? Anybody care to speculate? Maybe sharing a lot of "team love" and Bob reinforcing the idea that Brian is the man so the players better start adjusting.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/04/coach_key_playe.html

quote:
Coach, Key Players Skip Practice

Magic Coach Brian Hill, along with Dwight Howard and several key players, did not attend Tuesday's practice at The Palace In Auburn Hills, home to the Pistons.

Howard, Grant Hill and Hedo Turkoglu were among those who skipped the practice --- not that it was much of a practice. It concluded with assistant coaches and players squaring off in a shooting contest.

The most surprising development was Coach Hill taking a day off.

Actually, it's the right thing to do at this point in the season, although I'm still surprised that Hill ---- a day before facing the Pistons in a playoff race --- opted for rest over running plays.

Some players grumble that Hill is too demanding, works them too hard. But he has shown restraint as of late, taking days off that will help his team physically, emotionally and mentally.

It's more important that Howard and Hill have fresh legs.

Thursday, the Magic will have another off day and visit with owner Rich DeVos and team president Bob Vander Weide in Grand Rapids, Mi.

They then will practice Friday in Philadelphia to prepare for the Sixers.

Sometimes, less is more.

There you have it ladies and gentleman. Everybody knows the first time Hill got fired with Penny and the boyz most players complained of too many long, tiring practices and his rigid demanding style. Schmitz says he's backing off as evidenced by this blog. Let's see if it helps in the performance of the team.

Honestly though, there's a part of me that agrees with Brian's former style. I've done some coaching and I firmly believe that working hard in practice pays off. I'm a proponent of the old saying, "you play like you practice".

I know, I know, now a days you can't handle million dollar NBA athletes like that. Just my opinion.

Lastly, I've seen that little team meeting at VanderWeides house on Thursday well publicized. Looks like there gonna make it an all day thing. I wonder what will transpire on the visit? Anybody care to speculate? Maybe sharing a lot of "team love" and Bob reinforcing the idea that Brian is the man so the players better start adjusting.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/04/coach_key_playe.html

Remember last year Brian Hill said the team would not have to practice the next day if they won. Orlando then went on a 16-4 winning streak. I think Hill is trying to reward wins.

As far as the visit goes, sell the players on Amway's size and financial clout. Get the players to believe that this is a franchise with muscle.

While I agree hard practices will make the team better, at this point in the long NBA season. Resting some weary bodies might be the best course of action at this point.

Obviously Brian has heard the grumblings from fans and players about his irritable coaching style. He is trying to change but I am not sure he is truly capable of it. When his temper gets going he will revert to his true nature.

Did he skip the practice because seeing a casual, laid back practice with key players missing would just drive him nuts?

Let's see how this works for us tonight. Good to see "That Coach" making some sort of effort to change/ease up/reward good play...whatever you wanna call it.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

As long as wherever Dwight was he was practicing his free throws I'm happy

He was practicing his free throws via the United Way.........He was laying down "bricks" for a new local youth center.

^^^^^^^^

Not true, I just thought that was funny

quote:

Devos wants to talk to the team about this wonderful new opportunity. Apparently, there is a wealthy Nigerian who needs help moving his massive fortune out of the troubled country. All they need is to be able to use the players bank accounts to move the money. They can't lose!

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

quote:

Devos wants to talk to the team about this wonderful new opportunity. Apparently, there is a wealthy Nigerian who needs help moving his massive fortune out of the troubled country. All they need is to be able to use the players bank accounts to move the money. They can't lose!

I think this is really simple....2 things are happening...

1. Dwight Howard vs. Bob VanderWeide in a dance-off ala All-Star Weekend with SHAQ and Dwight.

2. A 3-way Tango Battle Royale to just show things could be worse....

RDV & HDV vs. Mrs. and Mr. Jackie Christie vs. Fran and CLGF (chorizo-loving-girlfriend)

Judges: Mike Bianchi, Jemele Hill, and STUFF