LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

ESPN.com’s Chad Ford spoke to multiple sources from the NBA’s current lottery teams to attempt to determine which player those clubs would select first overall in the 2014 draft, if given the opportunity. Detailing the results in an Insider-only piece, Ford reveals that the majority of the 13 clubs (Denver currently has two lottery picks) would likely take Jabari Parker. The Nuggets, Sixers, and Magic would probably lean toward Andrew Wiggins, while the Cavs and Lakers may prefer Joel Embiid, in Ford’s view.

I don't know that we'd be going around telling people who we liked the most (not that I have any problem with us wanting to draft Wiggins #1).

I don't know that we'd be going around telling people who we liked the most (not that I have any problem with us wanting to draft Wiggins #1).

agreed. its all talk...

via kyler lol

if the Magic get the first pick? Parker or Wiggins? ---> Not sure I go either. Both really similar to guys they have.

I am not sure I want Wiggins... not at #1. Parker would be hard to pass on. If I got #1, I'd look to trade it

thoughts on Exum and Smart? -> I think Exum has a higher ceiling and his skills translates to the NBA... I think Smart is solid

Thoughts on Wiggins? --> reminds me a lot of Tracy McGrady... all kinds of ability - does he have the drive to be great?

A lot of the time when we end up #4 we still get wiggins or Embiid. I'm happy with top 4 as long as our board is Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Exum.

Yup, any of those four and it's a good night.

Not really draft related, but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't pop in to say how thoroughly delighted I was to read that the Lakers are currently a lottery team. Warms my heart to see them fall so low...

Not really draft related, but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't pop in to say how thoroughly delighted I was to read that the Lakers are currently a lottery team. Warms my heart to see them fall so low...

until them *****ers get 1st pick " somehow " lool

via kyler lol

if the Magic get the first pick? Parker or Wiggins? ---> Not sure I go either. Both really similar to guys they have.

I am not sure I want Wiggins... not at #1. Parker would be hard to pass on. If I got #1, I'd look to trade it

thoughts on Exum and Smart? -> I think Exum has a higher ceiling and his skills translates to the NBA... I think Smart is solid

Thoughts on Wiggins? --> reminds me a lot of Tracy McGrady... all kinds of ability - does he have the drive to be great?

Ahhhh Kyler.... Shows how bad he is, when it comes to lottery players you always select the player who you think is/going to be best, you never take a player just because they play a position of need.

Hey guys I'm back after a long hiatus. Agree with most of what I've read through the last couples of pages. Exum has been growing on me a lot lately but his shot mechanics leave a lot to be desired and he would HAVE to get bigger, he is a rail. But the potential is there.

I would say...

1) Wiggins- Hasn't played great by any stretch but I still say he's the best talent in this draft. If you actually watch Kansas play, they don't seem to be doing the best job at letting him show his skill.

2) Randle-Just a mans man. More athletic Z-Bo. Could insert him next to Nik and have your front-court for the next 7 years. Harris, Randle, Nik. <3

3) Parker-Most NBA ready player in the draft. Could instantly contribute. Maybe not as high of a celing as Wiggins but not as low of a floor. Also, he's mormon, which means he's grounded and will never seek "The big lights". He could stay here he's entire career. Cant say the same for Wiggins.

4) Embid- Looks good but I'm not all about drafting another center when we have a pretty darn good one right now, and, our history with centers is heartbreaking. The use of 2 centers doesn't work in today's NBA either but I guess Nik would yield a nice return in the trade market so it's not like I'd be upset with Embid.

5)Exum/Smart - Not really sure who I like more. Both can't shoot. Exum has much more potential. Both should be all NBA defenders and can run an offense.

For the record, I'm fine with any of these guys. You could make your case for all of them. Let's just hope we have the opportunity at a couple of them. If we keep playing Jameer, AA and Baby 40+ minutes who knows. But that's for a different thread lol.

I hate watching this Kansas team

Self has no clue how to use those guys. That's why I have trouble evaluating Wiggins and Embiid. That offense is a mess.

Orlando Magic

Odds of winning the lottery: 19.9 percent

Likely selection with No. 1 pick: Andrew Wiggins

The Magic loved Oklahoma State's Marcus Smart last season and could still take him No. 1 this year. However, I'm hearing lately that the Magic believe Victor Oladipo can make the transition to the point and want to swing for the fences with a player with a huge upside like Wiggins. Wiggins is less NBA-ready than several of the other players in consideration for the No. 1 pick, but his upside is so great, the Magic would have a hard time passing on him given their developmental curve.

http://insider.espn....dates-no-1-pick

I find this information VERYYYY interesting, especially the part about Victor sticking at PG. Wow. If I had to guess, my gut says our board is:

1. Wiggins

2. Embiid

3. Parker

When I run the draft simulator at ESPN, almost every time Ford has us taking Wiggins or Embiid (1-4).