LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Dante Exum's roommate :

Wouldn't read much into that. He would have as much idea of where Exum falls as much as we do.

Dante Exum's roommate :

Joe Ingles is Exum's room mate? I thought he was playing in Israel? I know they went to the same high school but they are several years apart.

Interesting note is that most people here put Exum on the level with the "Big Three" but NBA GM's don't see it that way…All of our favorite's in the same tier….Exum, Vonleh, Smart, Randle.

Thanks for posting….

really? because i'm pretty sure ford wrote that there were people that voted for exum on tier one.....

Joe Ingles is Exum's room mate? I thought he was playing in Israel? I know they went to the same high school but they are several years apart.

They were room mates during the first time Exum played for Australia and they may still be room mates when playing for Australia but they're not actively living together on a day by day basis.

Since I have Insider I can put an end to this Exum in Tier 1 thing right now….It's called copy and paste, lol.

Tier 1

Joel Embiid

Jabari Parker

Andrew Wiggins

Last year, we didn't have any player in this category. This category is usually reserved for guys who are sure-fire All-Stars or "franchise" players. Since 2009, only Griffin, John Wall and Davis have been ranked in this slot. This year, there are three players in Tier 1 -- as many as there have been in the last five years combined. All of them received Tier 1 votes from every GM, exec and scout I surveyed. So if there is any consensus out there, it's that there are three really great prizes in this year's draft.

Tier 2

Dante Exum

Aaron Gordon

Julius Randle

Dario Saric

Marcus Smart

Noah Vonleh

Last year, Tier 2 also was empty for the first time since I've been doing this column. That should tell you something about how poorly regarded last year's class was. Tier 2 is reserved for players who are projected as potential All-Stars by scouts. They are typical high lottery picks in a normal draft. In 2012, Bradley Beal, Harrison Barnes, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist all got the nod as Tier 2 players. In 2011, Kyrie Irving and Derrick Williams were in this tier. This year, six players are here, which is a high number (as is the case with having three players in Tier 1). Two of these players -- Exum and Vonleh -- even got a couple of votes for Tier 1.

This is where the strength of the draft really shines, in my opinion. This means that NBA GMs, scouts and execs believe that there could be as many as nine potential All-Stars in the draft class, with three of them being franchise players. You have to go back more than a decade -- to the 2003 draft, where eight players ended up making an All-Star team -- to get a draft that loaded. While none of the players on the list are LeBron James-type players, there is incredible value here.

Not only did Exum get a 'couple' of tier 1 votes but so did Vonleh, lol….Your call Rob Hennigan….LOL, to the posters who said Vonleh was gonna be a bust.

GO MAGIC !!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Since I have Insider I can put an end to this Exum in Tier 1 thing right now….It's called copy and paste, lol.

Not only did Exum get a 'couple' of tier 1 votes but so did Vonleh, lol….Your call Rob Hennigan….LOL, to the posters who said Vonleh was gonna be a bust.

GO MAGIC !!!

Still can be a bust, all of the players could be a bust. (I am not a Vonleh hater, I just don't judge things before they happen).

Not sure I can take 2 more weeks of this. Why are we even discussing Tiers? Were picking between 3 palyers: Exum, Smart or Vonleh barring a trade. Let's debate those 3. Not what tiers we put players in.

How did I get brought into this??? Junkie!!!

I believe I remember RevTy posting it was a done deal, not Cat. Poor dude.

Okay… here's more to the story. Junkie used to mentor Otis Smith Jr. That is how we often knew insider info, as Jr. would simply pass it along. The night of the Paul talk, Junkie had me texting "Lil' Otis" to discover the truth. While I do remember being told we were in deep discussions with NO, I also distinctly recall receiving the following text from "Lil Otis" when asked if it was a done deal (as RevTy was posting): "NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Good times!

Okay… here's more to the story. Junkie used to mentor Otis Smith Jr. That is how we often knew insider info, as Jr. would simply pass it along. The night of the Paul talk, Junkie had me texting "Lil' Otis" to discover the truth. While I do remember being told we were in deep discussions with NO, I also distinctly recall receiving the following text from "Lil Otis" when asked if it was a done deal (as RevTy was posting): "NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Good times!

Yeah it never was actually stated as a "done deal". That was the poor Rev's mistake to post that. He had misread the emails in his haste to post the info.

God, so epic.

Not sure I can take 2 more weeks of this. Why are we even discussing Tiers? Were picking between 3 palyers: Exum, Smart or Vonleh barring a trade. Let's debate those 3. Not what tiers we put players in.

I still think Parker still has a chance of falling to us if the Bucks decide they want Exum but yes the most likely scenario is choosing between those 3.

Chris Paul + Dwight Howard + shooters + SVG = *sigh*

Yeah it could have happened, but it didn't. Maybe for the best. I think Dwight would have made Chris Paul hate him.

Everyone forgets even Pat Williams was saying big things would happen that night. It was looking really good, but I think after seeing how Rob handled the Dwight thing (brooklyn was super confident they had him..houston..etc) people's eyes should have open to how fast a deal can be pulled off the table in the NBA.