LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Dante Exum - Utah Jazz (25 - 57)COLLEGE: AustraliaHT: 6-6WT: 196POS: PG

This might be a dream scenario for the Jazz. While Exum could go to the Bucks, Sixers or Magic (in fact, those are the only teams for whom he's scheduled to workout), there is also a chance he slides. The Bucks and Sixers both have players higher than him on their boards (though workouts might change that) and the Magic are seriously looking at Vonleh at 4.

This is a no-brainer for the Jazz, even if he refuses to come workout. The team doesn't really need another big. They need size at the PG position and Exum also can play off the ball with Trey Burke as well. The team could obviously take Marcus Smart here, but I've heard they aren't as high on him as some other teams.

If Exum is gone, Vonleh probably has a small edge over Aaron Gordon and Julius Randle right now.

Vonleh, to me, is the level of "raw" where the bust potential shines just as bright as the star potential. I really see him coming in and struggling for a while, he's just got so much work to do.

• Upvote 1

Anyone care to post a summary of Ford's latest mock draft?

Embid-Cavs

Parker-Bucks

Wiggins-Sixers

Vonleh-Magic

Exum-Jazz

12th Pick is Elfrid Payton to shore up PG or possible trade up to get Smart. Ford thinks we might pass on a PG since the draft is deep at PG and go Vonleh for upside and ability to play a stretch 4 next to Vuch.

My guess is a lot will depend on Exum's workout and interview with us next week....or the team is blowing smoke to throw the media pundits off.

• Upvote 3

The Sixers really want Wiggins or Embid so it wouldn't surprise me to reach for Vonleh and ensure another year of tanking to next years draft.

I take Parker if he is there. We really don't need the 23rd pick with so many young players on the roster already and we already have the 12 pick to get either Payton or Ennis for PG depth.

Dipo/AA/Parker/Vuch/Harris is a nice starting line up with Jameer/Payton?/Oquinn/Harkless off the bench.

Parker can easily initiate the offense to take pressure off Dipo doing it full time as a PG. Elfrid Payton off the bench could be amazing with D, high energy and ability to score in transition.

But wouldn't it make sense to sell Afflalo while his value is high?

He has two years left, last of which is a player option. If the plan is to tank for another season, then trade Afflalo for another first round pick. If we are optimistic perhaps the Kings or Hornets will bite and send us #8 or #9; or perhaps we can land one of Chicago's first rounders. If we get the pick off the Hornets, we can land three young players to help build around:

Nelson / LaVine (#9)

Oladipo / Stauskas (#12)

Harkless / Harris

Vonleh (#4) / Nicholson / O'Quinn

Vuc / O'Quinn

Young and talented for another year. Or we could go with:

Nelson / LaVine (#9)

Oladipo / Stauskas (#12)

Harkless / Harris

Parker (#4) / Nicholson / O'Quinn

Vuc / O'Quinn

Either way we'd have a very talented base to build from. I'd like to keep Afflalo, especially if we are trying to improve to the 30 to 40 win type bracket. But ultimately I think we will end up trading him and if that can land us another lottery player then that will be a good thing.

It does make sense to go PF at 4. Like it's been stated, PF drop off is huge in this draft. Still good point guard prospects at 12 to be had. I really don't know why everyone makes a big deal about him being raw. One could easily say Exum will be just as much of a project. Vonleh screams a better defensive version of Chris Bosh.

This team has many holes, and you can't expect to fill them within 1 draft. BPA, which IMO, happens to also be our biggest hole, point guard, is what we fill with the draft. Then utilize FA/trades to plug the other smaller holes (shooter and inside defense).

Draft Exum

Trade #12 & asset (Nicholson or KO) for Taj Gibson

Sign or trade for bench sniper, but I expect Oladipo & Harris to have improved 3pt shots to help keep defenses honest.

Nelson/Exum/Lamb

Afflalo/Oladipo/Moore

Harkless/Harris

Gibson/O'Quinn

Vucevic/Dedmon

And if we don't trade, I'm one of few fans that would feel comfortable with KOQ starting at PF. He's what we all want, just not as athletic as Ibaka.

Long term:

Exum

Oladipo

Harris

O'Quinn

Vucevic

With Harkless to also fill in. That's a good balance of offense, defense, leadership, IQ, and team player.

With Harkless to also fill in. That's a good balance of offense, defense, leadership, IQ, and team player.

I have a feeling that Harkless will have a much improved 3-ball as well.

I have a feeling that Harkless will have a much improved 3-ball as well.

I personally like Harkless more as a prospect to Harris. :dustball: And think Nicholson will have a bounce back season.

I personally like Harkless more as a prospect to Harris. :dustball:/>/> And think Nicholson will have a bounce back season.

I'm definitely hoping for Nicholson to have a better year this coming season. A lot of people seem to have written him off but I think he could still be a useful player if he gets back to scoring in the post and takes less 3 pointers. I still feel he could be like a Luis Scola type player with some improvements.

Vonleh, to me, is the level of "raw" where the bust potential shines just as bright as the star potential. I really see him coming in and struggling for a while, he's just got so much work to do.

Agree