Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

With Grant gone and a new roster, who will be our leader this coming season?

I never saw Grant as our leader, we really didnt have a leader last year.

I think this year Dwight needs ot step up and take that leadership role, he is capable of it, he is our franchise player it is time for him to take the responsibility that comes with that role.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

You know the more I think about it, JJ seems more likely. Think about it, the guy hates losing, he is fiery. If he can stay on the court he seems to have that kind of temperment to be a leader.

JJ?...eh-h-h? I don't know about JJ. I usually study players' faces and body language when they are on the bench, and JJ appears to have a "tinge" of pouting on his face.

I think that the leader should not only have the qualities that some of you mentioned, but he should also be a VETERAN. More than half of our players are too young, and are emotionally not ready to lead the team.

quote:
Darrell was never the best player on our team talent wise, he was the best leader we ever had though and he did it but not wanting to give up no matter what.

that is exactly what i was talking about. your leader doesn't have to be the best player on the team, just the one that motivates the best. DA wasn't one of our top scorers, nor top rebounders, nor top assist man. he was a leader though, and with him on the floor, the magic were a team instead of just 5 players on the court dressed the same.

heck i'd say sign him now and make him the starting PG. he can get the ball to shard, jj, airiza, and howard and doesn't need to score points to feel good about himself. with those 4 scoring options already on the court, do we need another scoring threat or the guy who puts it all together and distribute/facilitate those 4 scorers?

not only that but he could also provide alot of insight for nelson/arroyo/dooling and maybe help progress nelson into the type of pass first, aggressive D, court leader everyone wants him to be. sorry if this isn't the right thread but: SIGN DARREL ARMSTRONG if it's not too late....

quote:
Originally posted by TrueMagicFan07:

quote:

You know the more I think about it, JJ seems more likely. Think about it, the guy hates losing, he is fiery. If he can stay on the court he seems to have that kind of temperment to be a leader.

JJ?...eh-h-h? I don't know about JJ. I usually study players' faces and body language when they are on the bench, and JJ appears to have a "tinge" of pouting on his face.

I think that the leader should not only have the qualities that some of you mentioned, but he should also be a VETERAN. More than half of our players are too young, and are emotionally not ready to lead the team.

He does look ticked to be on the bench. I think it would only happen if he was playing a good chunk of mins. Outside of him, I just don't see anyone as a get in your face kinda guy. Most of the team seems too polite and doesn't seem to want to offend each other. I think this is what Otis was getting at when he mentioned last year that they are a little too familiar with each other.

I don't want a guy that is disruptive in the locker room, but we do need someone that will get ticked off when he see's less than 100% effort. I think Jameer wants to be buddies with everyone too much to take this role. Now if Dwight were to make up his mind to do it, he would be perfect. Who is going to argue with the biggest guy on the team? If a 6-11 270lb hulk gets in your face about effort, chances are you are going to pay attention.

quote:

I don't want a guy that is disruptive in the locker room, but we do need someone that will get ticked off when he see's less than 100% effort. I think Jameer wants to be buddies with everyone too much to take this role. Now if Dwight were to make up his mind to do it, he would be perfect. Who is going to argue with the biggest guy on the team? If a 6-11 270lb hulk gets in your face about effort, chances are you are going to pay attention.

This is very true Marc, and with the addition of Patrick Ewing I think much of this will rub off! He was a big big team guy in New York, and he had to take the leadership position after Bernard King went down for the count, and he was just as young, well...at least within a year or 2, but anyway, I think you will see a real change in his approach.

Dwight has all the qualities to be an outstanding leader one day and fully expect him to grow into the role.

I am glad Grant is gone, I think the other players spent too much time looking to him for leadership. Good locker room guy, but I never saw other side of a good leader. Sometimes people need a kick in *** instead of a pat on the back.

Maybe we have a leader in Rashard. I honestly don't know that much about his situation in Seattle. I know he was playing second fiddle to Ray Allen so maybe he hasn't had a chance to showcase his leadership abilities.

For me, 90% of leadership is the desire to lead. Minus the lauging on the court, Jameer has shown a desire to lead. Now leadership skills can and usually are learned (thus all the leadership seminars that you can spend a small fortune going to) so there is a chance that Jameer will learn from his mistakes and use those lessons learned to be a true floor general. It doesn't hurt that historically some of the best floor generals in basketball were point guards. It comes with the territory of setting up the offense.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

It doesn't hurt that historically some of the best floor generals in basketball were point guards. It comes with the territory of setting up the offense.

I agree.

I'm not a fan of Jason Kidd, but in the FIBA games, he has been AMAZING! Now, there is a point guard who has been a great leader in these games. Even Bill Walton mentioned the difference in the flow of the team when Jason is in the game.

I don't think Jason is a mean person, but boy, the look on his face...Even I would "straighten up and fly right."

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

It doesn't hurt that historically some of the best floor generals in basketball were point guards. It comes with the territory of setting up the offense.

I agree.

I'm not a fan of Jason Kidd, but in the FIBA games, he has been AMAZING! Now, there is a point guard who has been a great leader in these games. Even Bill Walton mentioned the difference in the flow of the team when Jason is in the game.

I don't think Jason is a mean person, but boy, the look on his face...Even I would "straighten up and fly right."

Jason Kidd has been amazing in this tournament. He has always been one of my favorite players.

I think he had some issues with his wife, so who knows he is in real life.

On the subject though, I think D12 will be our leader. I think the fiba tournament did him good to be around guys like Kobe and Lebron.

quote:
Originally posted by jesusway:

I think it will be nelson

Agreed, it will be Jameer

a little bit from Dwight and Lewis, but it will be Jameer

"Leadership" is right up there with "chemistry" as one of the most overrated/misunderstood/non-quantifiable notions in sports, but if it really matters, Jameer is the only one on this team with leadership qualities, so he's the leader.

That said, it doesn't matter who the leader is, or if there's a leader at all. Winning in basketball is about talent, desire and luck. Not necessarily in that order.

i disagree. not with the talent, desire or luck, but with the leader concept. every team needs at least one guy who can dig into his teammates if he feels they are not putting forth the required effort.

i didn't like seeing howard smiling and joking on the bench while his team was getting destroyed. someone should have been on him, trying to bring out the anger needed to dominate the game.

nelson should be the leader, he already is supposed to orchestrate the entire offense as part of SVGs strategy, he should provide leadership as well. will he? who knows.

we have a very young team that needs a vet to tell them its not okay to lose. with the level of talent and DEMONSTRATED potential (not to be confused with darko's potential), we should be giants in this league. Titans among mere mortals. i see no reason why at least 3 players from our team shouldn't make the all-star game.

leadership is a fundamental fact of life. there are those who lead, and there are those who follow. we need someone to step up and tell his teammates that losing is no longer acceptable. winning is the standard, not the exception....