All Eyes On Me

2024 Off-season Thread

3 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

I’m surprised about the Dwight talk with his major off the court issues in recent years. 

I think the off-court issues mixed with the fact that he STILL wants to make things about himself is a no-go. I see him trying to make jokes that just don't land in the locker room and then doubling down on those awkward jokes. He was always a jokester and it worked / was tolerable when he was the alpha in the locker room, but I just don't see his and Paolo's personalities jiving in any which way. 0% chance for me as well. 

Just now, TreyMachine said:

I think the off-court issues mixed with the fact that he STILL wants to make things about himself is a no-go. I see him trying to make jokes that just don't land in the locker room and then doubling down on those awkward jokes. He was always a jokester and it worked / was tolerable when he was the alpha in the locker room, but I just don't see his and Paolo's personalities jiving in any which way. 0% chance for me as well. 

Also, I find it sad that he can't let basketball go and just retire with dignity. Most guys retire to go on and be with their wives/kids, start investing in other activities... I just don't think Dwight has a direction or purpose he knows of and without a family (he's got a lot of kids all around he gets visitation with), it's like he's lost with what to do post-basketball. I'm hoping he finds an outlet and some peace. 

21 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

Also, I find it sad that he can't let basketball go and just retire with dignity. Most guys retire to go on and be with their wives/kids, start investing in other activities...

Too many? :P

What are people’s thought on Ingles?  Would cost us 11M to keep him next season.  

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

What are people’s thought on Ingles?  Would cost us 11M to keep him next season.  

Besides him being old as dirt, I like him in the locker room. Additionally, I'm surprised his advanced stats look good, though I think this is probably because he played with JI. Either way, if we don't use his money to sign a big name, I'm fine bringing him back.

Here are those advanced stats: https://www.nba.com/stats/player/204060

Only way I want Ingles back is to decline his option and sign him to the vet min. I think we can do better than the current version of Ingles in our rotation next year, would love him back for cheap as a locker room vet and injury depth, but don’t want him back at $11 million

16 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Only way I want Ingles back is to decline his option and sign him to the vet min. I think we can do better than the current version of Ingles in our rotation next year, would love him back for cheap as a locker room vet and injury depth, but don’t want him back at $11 million

That s/be the only way salary wise to keep him....he has both negatives and positive but at the right price keep him.

On 5/12/2024 at 11:07 AM, Albert Lergier said:

That s/be the only way salary wise to keep him....he has both negatives and positive but at the right price keep him.

I cringe when Joe brings the ball up and the defense pressures him, and he can't really defend, but I do agree with keeping him as an end of bench guy at the minimum.

Thinking back at how many really good to great players, the Magic have signed at the end of their careers when their tank was empty. This is a list I compiled. I could have put Ingles on this list but he really wasn’t good enough earlier in his career. 

Patrick Ewing

Dominique Wilkins

Gilbert Arenas

Mark Price

Derek Harper

Al Harrington

Rod Strickland

Jason Williams

Kenny Smith

Quentin Richardson

This is my list, I’m sure I’m missing some. Researching this has been interesting and makes me wonder who will be next on the Magic retirement tour.