Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

3 hours ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

I don't like 'play-in' games at the end of the regular season. Whose idea was that anyway? I like the old way that the teams that ranked 1-8 at the end of the regular season got to play in the playoffs.

When the 'play-in' games first occurred, I was confused. I didn't know what was going on.

So please tell me. What's the purpose of the 'play-in'?

$$$$$

1 hour ago, orlandoholic said:

also prevent hard tanking, to be fair.. Teams can now longer actually compete

It has helped with tanking for sure. 

Big game tonight, feels like we haven’t played in forever. Really no excuse to not go win the next 4, especially with how the schedule ramps back up after the Hornets game.

On 3/11/2024 at 7:14 PM, JJZFL said:

I might disagree with you on this a little bit. No matter who you are, driving one versus three against good NBA defenders is going to fail most of the time. Both the guys you mentioned are excellent passers, and when they get double or triple teamed they pass the ball to an open teammate. That gets to the other point that’s being made here about spacing. Those other teammates are good enough to make you pay if you double or triple team one guy, leaving them with an open shot, and that’s a difference from us.

Also, our stars are not doing enough to get the other players on the floor involved, as is also being mentioned above.  Houstan, for example, while standing in the corner was often open and no one even looked at him.  Makes it easier on the defense if they can forget about a player or two and just help guard the others.  

This is fair. Spacing and the perimeter guys being close enough to slap away at Paolo driving have definitely played a role in his turnovers. I think the lack of trust is why Franz and Paolo, especially Paolo go into takeover mode a lot. Hell, even Cole does it. I think we really only have 2 guys on the team that I’m confident when they shoot a 3 ball that it has a shot of going in, Jalen and Gary. I also know he had a nice run early when we were desparate, but Caleb is never gonna be more than an end of the bench guy at best in the NBA.

11 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

This is fair. Spacing and the perimeter guys being close enough to slap away at Paolo driving have definitely played a role in his turnovers. I think the lack of trust is why Franz and Paolo, especially Paolo go into takeover mode a lot. Hell, even Cole does it. I think we really only have 2 guys on the team that I’m confident when they shoot a 3 ball that it has a shot of going in, Jalen and Gary. I also know he had a nice run early when we were desparate, but Caleb is never gonna be more than an end of the bench guy at best in the NBA.

Joe Ingles?

21 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Joe Ingles?

Joe at home and off of a couple days rest, definitely. Hes shooting a scorching 46% from deep at Kia Center. Dips 10% when we go on the road, which is still respectable but not nearly as automatic

21 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Joe Ingles?

And even Cole Anthony.  While I completely agree with All Eyes that our stars have reasons why they might not have confidence in other players on the floor with them, I think it’s something they need to overcome.  If they never even look at the open guy in the corner, it’s not only demoralizing for those players being ignored, but again puts us into a 3 or 4 vs five situation on offense, which is unfavorable.  

I’d like to see our best players try to make these other guys better while they’re out there.  If it doesn’t work, then get rid of those players and find someone else who can better compliment our best players.  

7 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Joe at home and off of a couple days rest, definitely. Hes shooting a scorching 46% from deep at Kia Center. Dips 10% when we go on the road, which is still respectable but not nearly as automatic

Fair. 

Wendell is shooting very well this year but understand you'd need more sample size before you felt like it was going in when he took them. 

I actually think there's a path to Caleb as a real NBA player also, he's young and he's long and he's not good defensively but he doesn't actively hurt you. He just needs to be able to do more than hit open catch and shoot shots on offense. Because teams helping off him and then closing out hard to him doesn't actually help the spacing issues when he can't make them pay for the hard close out.

The trust issue... i have noticed this as well.   Certain players either create for them selves or stand around cause no one passes

to them unless desperate.