Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

Redick interviewing for a head coaching job does seem a bit presumptuous considering he has never coached before; however, he did have some really good coaches, was a premier college player who couldn’t get off the bench his first few seasons in the NBA, and turned in the effort to become a valuable player with a reasonable career.

Would I hire him as a shooting/development coach, absolutely. Would I hire him as a 1st or 2nd assistant, probably. As a head coach, maybe not.

8 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Redick interviewing for a head coaching job does seem a bit presumptuous considering he has never coached before; however, he did have some really good coaches, was a premier college player who couldn’t get off the bench his first few seasons in the NBA, and turned in the effort to become a valuable player with a reasonable career.

Would I hire him as a shooting/development coach, absolutely. Would I hire him as a 1st or 2nd assistant, probably. As a head coach, maybe not.

After how Chauncey Billups, Steve Nash, Derek Fisher and Jason Kidd have been as head coaches there's legitimately no way I'd hire a first time head coach with no assistant experience no matter how smart they were as a player or how good their history in the game is. 

I guess the counterpoint is Steve Kerr.

You had me in the first half. Kerr is another Jackson, it's more about the players.

Anyhow it's time for me to overreact to the most recent games. What do you all think about Bruce Brown? He had a great game for the Nuggets the other night and is really good on defense.

Supposedly he is gonna opt out and due to some weird rules the Nuggets can only increase his salary as a percentage of what he already makes. He would fit right into the squad and can hit the open 3 and play defense. 

Perfect glue guy?

Actually after some review, he is just Gary Harris lite.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=harriga01&player_id1=brownbr01&sum=0&request=1&utm_campaign=2023_01_wdgt_player_comparison&utm_source=bbr&utm_medium=sr_xsite&utm_id=brownbr01

Seems to be following Gary's trajectory without the nagging injuries.

11 hours ago, hootie249 said:

You had me in the first half. Kerr is another Jackson, it's more about the players.

Anyhow it's time for me to overreact to the most recent games. What do you all think about Bruce Brown? He had a great game for the Nuggets the other night and is really good on defense.

Supposedly he is gonna opt out and due to some weird rules the Nuggets can only increase his salary as a percentage of what he already makes. He would fit right into the squad and can hit the open 3 and play defense. 

Perfect glue guy?

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=harriga01&player_id1=brownbr01&sum=0&request=1&utm_campaign=2023_01_wdgt_player_comparison&utm_source=bbr&utm_medium=sr_xsite&utm_id=brownbr01

Great role player, can also playmake, guard PG SG SF

I like Bruce Brown a lot, think he's quite a different player to Gary Harris though. I think he's in the perfect situation in Denver so I kind of expect he and Denver will figure it out but wouldn't be adverse to throwing him the full MLE. 

19 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

If i was Mosley i would bring him to our bench. I think they could work well together.

19 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Perfect glue guy?

Trying to figure out if you are comparing Kerr to Phil Jackson or Mark Jackson

1 hour ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Trying to figure out if you are comparing Kerr to Phil Jackson or Mark Jackson

Red Auerbach, Phill Jackson, Pat Riley, Greg Popovich all had Top 15 Players of all time also. I personally think Kerr along with Spolstra are the best current coaches. But you do have to have great players to win. Pop hasn’t done much without Duncan. 

On 5/10/2023 at 4:55 AM, hootie249 said:

Inject that in my veins but that team would struggle defensively.

Lol it probably would but it would be able to outscore whatever defensive problems it has. We just have a few days left to wait. Someone is about to get stupidly lucky. I don't know if karma is actually real or not but Wemby would be fantastic consolation for what Shaq and Dwight did to the Magic

On 5/11/2023 at 9:04 AM, Natesroom said:

If i was Mosley i would bring him to our bench. I think they could work well together.

Yes....coach and player. Shooting coach during the day and "3 Point Driller" during games !!!

what a great extension Wendell Carter Jr was!! great job by Weltham.. 

I hope he can make another step in the off season. Keep working on that 3 ball and add some post moves. 
I could see him getting invited on Team USA. He’s the best FIBA style center after Bam Adebayo.. 

Could argue that Ayton would dominate in FIBA ball. But he doesn’t fit in what TEAM USA usually prefers for their big man rotation