Soul Bro

2020-2021 Official Magic Season Thread

On 2/9/2021 at 8:49 PM, Jay Magic said:

9 hours ago, Natesroom said:

not sure i understand this tweet

I don’t understand it either

On 2/9/2021 at 9:51 PM, TrueMagicFanSince1987 said:

Agreed! Clifford needs to go for even thinking this way and Weltham needs to go for even allowing this to happen with the current state this team is in. In no world should your draft pick only get garbage time minutes when we are getting blown out and losing games anyways. This goes back to the incompetence/lack of a winning culture of this whole organization. 

Yeah. Firing Hennigan to keep running Vuc + Gordon + Fournier's coattails is mindblowing to me as a fan

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Yeah. Firing Hennigan to keep running Vuc + Gordon + Fournier's coattails is mindblowing to me as a fan

Hennigan hired 3 different coaches, had 5 lottery picks, turned Oladipo, the pick that became Sabonis into Terrence Ross and a late 1st rounder and we never made the playoffs under him .Firing him was definitely the right decision. But that doesn't mean the other players he acquired in Vuc, Fournier and Gordon aren't valuable and worth having? 

Masai Ujiri didn't acquire Kyle Lowry or Demar Derozan but he didn't show up in Toronto and immediately trade them.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Hennigan hired 3 different coaches, had 5 lottery picks, turned Oladipo, the pick that became Sabonis into Terrence Ross and a late 1st rounder and we never made the playoffs under him .Firing him was definitely the right decision. But that doesn't mean the other players he acquired in Vuc, Fournier and Gordon aren't valuable and worth having? 

Masai Ujiri didn't acquire Kyle Lowry or Demar Derozan but he didn't show up in Toronto and immediately trade them.

When Hennigan way overpaid for Ibaka and then signed Biyombo to a massive deal, when we already had Vucevic on the roster and thought that running all 3 in the same rotation was feasible... man, I knew we were in trouble then. Also, Henny had waaaay too much faith in Elfrid and wouldn’t ever let that dream go

1 hour ago, All Eyes On Me said:

When Hennigan way overpaid for Ibaka and then signed Biyombo to a massive deal, when we already had Vucevic on the roster and thought that running all 3 in the same rotation was feasible... man, I knew we were in trouble then. Also, Henny had waaaay too much faith in Elfrid and wouldn’t ever let that dream go

I really do think he kept Fournier Vs Oladipo because of fit with Payton... 

I was always an optimist with Hennigan but the Ibaka trade was when I lost all faith. I hated it instantly.

I hated a lot more the absurd Byombo contract honestly (Dipo at the time was not the one of his best year in Indiana, and Ibaka in the end has showed enough to justify a role in a possible contender.. not with us unfortunately)... but I've always the same question in mind: was really Henny at the helm at this point? Those kind of moves were completely different from everything he has done in the previous years (in which there were a few bad decisions, but also a lot of good moves) so a part of me believe that after the Skiles clash, he wasn't really free of make his own decisions anymore. There was a mandate to win now, and with the hiring of Vogel (a coach that has always liked to play with a lot of bigs) we got the Byombo+Ibaka moves. Was more a Henny decision, or a Vogel/Martins one?

I'm not sure, but I tend to believe the latter.

Reading an Athletic article about the G League Ignite game last night, it seems like Jonathan Kuminga is the platonic ideal of a Weltman draft pick. If we continue to be terrible, as appears likely, my bet would be on him being the pick

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I really do think he kept Fournier Vs Oladipo because of fit with Payton... 

I was always an optimist with Hennigan but the Ibaka trade was when I lost all faith. I hated it instantly.

That was the straw that broke this camel's back... I think I tried to justify it to myself for a bit... but yeah. Instant hate. Even if Sabonis wasn't as good as he is now, I don't see how Ibaka could have been anyone's idea of equal value and we had no reason to give up more value for what we got out of that.

On 2/9/2021 at 8:49 PM, Jay Magic said:

I think what he's saying is, "Took me 25 years to realize .... I don't need to do that little extra hop step before I shoot a three." 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Firing Hennigan was a smart move, he was in over his head and had no backbone.  He couldn’t commit to anything.