Soul Bro

Official Head Coach Search Thread

Exactly. I read the words "I believe" and "Henningan" in the same sentence far too often. This isn't a faith-based endeavor. As I've been saying for the past 2 years on here, and taking an incredible amount of abuse for it, Hennigan has so far not proven anything. He has probably another couple of years to get this team out of the basement. If that doesn't happen, he's out.

I actually completely agree. The "In Rob I trust" gets really old. I think he's proven he has a descent knack for talent and knows what a true rebuild is, but I'm not sure those 2 things warrant us following him off a cliff just yet.

Meh, I think you might be missing what he's proven so far

I think some over-value what he has proven so far and I think that's all JJZFL means. I'm happy with what Rob has done so far, that's it. I think he's drafted well given how much the lotto hasn't helped us and I think he has a good understanding of contracts and not just throwing dumb money around. I'm happy with the rebuild but this will be the telling year. Were entering year 4 of said rebuild and we still have glaring holes though I'm confident those get addressed this off-season.

All coaches available include huge question marks.

Brooks may have just enjoyed having 3 All Stars and rode that wave like 90's Brian Hill. Like Brian Hill, it may turn out he's not a good coach at all... Or a genius developer.

Thibs can be a huge jerk, rides his players hard, and doesn't seem to get along with ownership when there's a difference of opinion. Also doesn't seem to be good at taking advice. And of course all this can be part of his growth as a coach and things will be different at his next stop.

Skiles can also seem like a jerk, and some may say he wears his players out, but he's proven how he can turn mediocre teams around... Plus read some player interviews from around the league and other than Harris and Udrih I can't seem to find much negativity about him. Some go as far as saying they placed Skiles with Larry Brown as best coaches they've played for.

But you know... The same case about both Skiles and Thibs can be made for SVG. He was also a hardass that seemed to have lost some of the players near the end (like Skiles). He also did things at times that didn't sit well with management (like Thibs).

I think if one calls hiring Skiles as settling then one can do the same for about 25 other teams in the league. Pretty much not hiring a championship experience coach would be considered settling.

Everybody tries to get the best coach available for whatever position their team is in. That's why we got Van Gundy instead of Sacramento that one time. We had the pieces to lure a coach of that caliber even after we initially passed on him for a college guy with no NBA experience.

Whether it's Skiles, Thibs, Brooks or anyone else. Can't wait till they name someone and we can move on.

I think this is an excellent post that highlights the fact that you can make a distinct correlation between Skiles and Van Gundy in terms of "players don't want to play for him." Remember how Shaq got him kicked out mid-season? Yet we would all LOVE to have Van Gundy back.

When I was against Skiles a week ago, I only thought of his firings in CHI and MIL and his reputation as a hardass on his players. However, the more I dig into his past, the more I realize how overblown this perception was.

I think this is an excellent post that highlights the fact that you can make a distinct correlation between Skiles and Van Gundy in terms of "players don't want to play for him." Remember how Shaq got him kicked out mid-season? Yet we would all LOVE to have Van Gundy back.

When I was against Skiles a week ago, I only thought of his firings in CHI and MIL and his reputation as a hardass on his players. However, the more I dig into his past, the more I realize how overblown this perception was.

It's completely overblown. Skiles is a good coach whose improved every franchise he's ever been at. The lynching mob towards him on this forum is careless.

Yes, he has his flaws like every coach, but I can't help but feel he is a good fit for us.

It's completely overblown. Skiles is a good coach whose improved every franchise he's ever been at. The lynching mob towards him on this forum is careless.

Yes, he has his flaws like every coach, but I can't help but feel he is a good fit for us.

You bring this up but leave out how he also was ousted 2-3 years with every franchise he's ever been at as well.

I don't mind Skiles, but I would mind passing on Gentry, Thibs and Brooks. If any of those guys end up being available it would be a shame not to have one.

‏@PeterVecsey1

Not surprisingly, Skiles will be named Magic coach this wk, I am informed. He was favorite f outset. CEO did PR 4 team when SK starred 4 'em

except SVG had progressive coaching views, and never had the failures skiles had before coming

except SVG had progressive coaching views, and never had the failures skiles had before coming

Let's be serious though. Red Auerbach as head coach with Riley, Phil Jackson and Pop as assistants couldn't have won anything with that Milwaukee Bucks team Skiles coached.