Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2014 Free Agency Watch Thread

How is Monroe as a character guy? On Defense? He's clearly young, big, and talented, but does he fit with the culture?

Don't know about character but he's not what I'd describe as a good defender.

Reading up on him, it seems he is talented offensively, but struggles defensively. Pairing Vuc and Monroe together would be an alleged interior-defense nightmare. So unless we're looking to eventually trade Vuc and pairing Monroe and Gordon together, I'll pass, especially for the money that he's going to command.

Not a big Monroe fan...maybe Stan called us to ask if we would sign him for a reasonable amount they can match?

Looks like the Cavs who need a scoring big plan on throwing big money at him. Might work a sign and trade with Detroit throwing in Dion Waiters amoung others.

Monroe MAKES zero sense for us. We don't need another starting caliber big at a high price. We need outside shooters and scorers. Could maybe use an upgrade at the backup four to Nicholson, but it isn't a major concern because we aren't a contending team anyways and Rob might still believe in him.

Monroe doesn't fit with the type of player that we have been acquiring, he isn't Rob's type at all. Rob pick's up guys who fight, who are high energy, play hard, and play D, Vuc would be the only exception I can think of and even then he seems to put in the effort. Maybe this is one of those mis-direction type things.

Doc Brown is this you?

How do you know we do not already have a go-to offensive guy? How do you know Oladipo or Harris or Payton or Gordon wont be that for us? All I'm saying is Hennigan must see something in these guys and it would be foolish to run out and pay someone like Bledsoe, Parsons or Stevenson when that will take away starters minutes from someone we already have. The same example I gave with Bledsoe I will give with Parsons and Harris. How do you not know that Tobias won't have a break out year and consistently have performances that we've seen from him the past. If hypothetically he does start scoring like crazy it would be stupid in retrospect to be tied up in a long tem heavy contract with parsons at the same position.

All I'm saying is that you can't play the what if game and hope to get to the top tier of your conference. All I know is what I've seen, I watch a lot of basketball and I know Gordon and Olidipo struggle with anything that isn't from a forced turnover. I think Harris could be solid but he was so inconsistent last year I don't think you can take that risk. Payton put up numbers in college but I'll be interested to watch summer league to see if he can take that to the next level. When you have talented FA now, I don't think it's wise to just wait and hope. You act and the worse thing that can happen is that you have multiple talented players at multiple positions. Good Depth is what wins championships (example Heat Spurs 2014)

I honestly think we have 0% chance of getting Parsons with what has been coming out of Houston today. He was invited to meetings with Howard and Harden to try and recruit Melo. He kindly backed out but it shows how important Parsons is to Houston and I think they match any offer out there unless is 18+.. which for Parsons would be a moronic Otis move

All I'm saying is that you can't play the what if game and hope to get to the top tier of your conference. All I know is what I've seen, I watch a lot of basketball and I know Gordon and Olidipo struggle with anything that isn't from a forced turnover. I think Harris could be solid but he was so inconsistent last year I don't think you can take that risk. Payton put up numbers in college but I'll be interested to watch summer league to see if he can take that to the next level. When you have talented FA now, I don't think it's wise to just wait and hope. You act and the worse thing that can happen is that you have multiple talented players at multiple positions. Good Depth is what wins championships (example Heat Spurs 2014)

Nothing your saying is wrong. Your timing is. We're not heading to the 'ship this year and no one we spend money on in this free agency, will change that so why spend the money? Just to spend it? Why not spend on a sure go to guy or at least try to in Durant. That does sound like the player you, I, and most Magic fans I believe, would take us to that next level correct? So why spend it on poor man versions? Or for you Magicblue, ATTEMPT to sign him.

On Monroe, I don't think Kyler has any clue who we're really targeting.

Maybe its possible to grab someone like Chauncey Billups... We need someone who can share their experience at a cheap rate, Chauncey could be this guy if he doesnt try and go for a contender team.

Maybe its possible to grab someone like Chauncey Billups... We need someone who can share their experience at a cheap rate, Chauncey could be this guy if he doesnt try and go for a contender team.

IMO Billups would be a great mentor to Payton and might be able to help all the guys with their shooting

Nothing your saying is wrong. Your timing is. We're not heading to the 'ship this year and no one we spend money on in this free agency, will change that so why spend the money? Just to spend it? Why not spend on a sure go to guy or at least try to in Durant. That does sound like the player you, I, and most Magic fans I believe, would take us to that next level correct? So why spend it on poor man versions? Or for you Magicblue, ATTEMPT to sign him.

On Monroe, I don't think Kyler has any clue who we're really targeting.

I have to disagree about the timing, I think it is the right time, because you either need to move forward or you are falling behind. No one thinks we are heading for the 'ship this year, but we have basically just let go of our veteran leadership, brought in two rookies, a young unproven wing (Fournier), and a career journeyman. I don't think that represents a definitive step forward; therefore, to keep upward momentum, you have to be making some other moves. Going after a FA who is WORTH a $10M/year contract is kind of the next logical step. I don't think we were as lucky as OKC, I am not sure we were able to get a Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka caliber trio in our drafts/trades yet; that means that to create that upward momentum we now need to go out and buy it. We have already done the bottom out portion, we need to move on/up from that.

Pretty sure we didn't, in point of fact.

Edited by jmmagicfan