Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

MVP! MVP! MVP! It's a 2-player race.....

Ben (Chicago)

Does all the "The Decision" backlash cost LeBron the MVP? Or is it D-Rose's regardless?

John Hollinger (12:06 PM)

I think it may hurt him in the voting. As I've noted here before, I don't totally get all the Rose momentum. To me LeBron and Dwight Howard are a clear 1-2 and then we can start discussing "creative" votes for the rest of the ballot.

Gus (Pensacola)

Howard has almost closed the gap in PER between himself and LeBron. Is his defense the deciding factor in who should win MVP?

John Hollinger (12:35 PM)

The thing to remember is that LeBron has been a tremendous defensive force this season too, and he's been able to stay on the court much longer than Howard does. So I still say LeBron. But you can argue Howard, yes.

Surprised nobody seems to talk about it here....maybe everyone thinks Lebron getting it is a foregone conclusion?

I wanna start hearing the MVP chants at the Amway center immediately after the All-Star break !!!

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/37016

• Upvote 2

because the reality of it is this; Orlando will literally have to win the east for Howard to be truly considered for the award.

MVP is decided well before the ECF.

Dwight is more of a MVP than LeBron though. He is more valuable to the Magic than LeBron is to the Heat. Even if LeBron went down for a long time they are still a dangerous team with Wade/Bosh as a 1-2 punch. If Dwight goes down, we aren't scaring anyone with Richardson, Nelson, or Turkoglu stepping up into bigger roles.

MVP is decided well before the ECF.

Dwight is more of a MVP than LeBron though. He is more valuable to the Magic than LeBron is to the Heat. Even if LeBron went down for a long time they are still a dangerous team with Wade/Bosh as a 1-2 punch. If Dwight goes down, we aren't scaring anyone with Richardson, Nelson, or Turkoglu stepping up into bigger roles.

let me clear that up for you...

they will have to have the best record in the East and possibly even the league.

I have a better chance of riding a baby unicorn home from the office than Dwight does of winning the MVP. If not Lebron it will be Rose.

I have a better chance of riding a baby unicorn home from the office than Dwight does of winning the MVP. If not Lebron it will be Rose.

Disagree. If Dwight continues to play like he has recently, he has a serious chance at winning it.

They did a quick study a while back, I don't remember where, and they found that MVP votes go to a player who's team is in the top 3 in the standings. Right now that is Miami, San Antonio, and Boston.

With the Spurs and Celtics you have a bunch of stars with no clear alpha, so I think you eliminate any of those players from the discussion.

With Miami you have Wade or LeBron, and I personally find LeBron to be their most valuable player. BUT, I do think LeBron takes a hit in the vote because of his Decision and the fact that he plays with Wade.

So then I'd look at the next two teams in the standings, which right now are Dallas and Chicago.

Top 3 MVP candidates: 1. LeBron 2. Rose 3. Dirk

I honestly think that if Orlando can catch Dallas and Chicago and finish with the 4th best record that Dwight will have a real shot at winning the award. They are currently 3 back from Chicago, 4 back from Dallas.

I havent seen much of this season from the Bulls or Lakers, so i cannot vote Rose or Kobe for that. I think he is a hell of a player, but i cannot judge without watching.

Of the ones i did see, it is a 5 men race:

Dwight

LeBron

Rondo (i can't believe how overlooked he is)

Wade

Westbrook

To add to this discussion...I wonder if Dwight winning the MVP hurts or helps our chances of retaining him next year. On one hand, him winning the MVP in Orlando can certainly be viewed as a positive, especially if it coincides with a better record and a higher seed than we currently have.

But I could also see him winning it as validation that he doesn't have enough help and that he has done all he can here.

Thoughts?