Sign in to follow this  
Mr Charisma

Whatever happened to......... MC?

quote:
Originally posted by weezt0e:

quote:
For me and with honesty, a creation of a website establishing an objective to rid an individual of his position as a coach is pretty disappointing.

FireBrianHill.org = Classy!

I very much doubt we'd be sitting here now with Brian still retained.

I felt it was nescessary at the time, given his realtionship with DeVos and his social standing in the community. When the site started he was still very popular with casual fans. With the arena issue going on, I doubt they would have fired a coach with a much social appeal as Hill. We will never know. for sure though. Everyone on here and RealGM had been saying the same things about Hill for weeks. I just decided to create the website becuase I knew people would listen if it existed as its own entity, instead of 1000 scattered comments on a message board.

On a separate note, I tend to look at professional sports figures, of any kind, almost as politicians. They have chosen a career that is very much under a microscope. In a way, this team represents this entire town. When they are doing well, we are happy. It gives us a sense of pride. When we see them underahcieve or underdevelop the team, we get upset. I think its acceptable to protest that.

I wasn't trying to ruin anyones dream or take away someone's ability to put food on the table for his family. I saw someone mismanaging the team I love and wanted it to stop. If I destroyed his dream, then he can use the extra 6 million he will get for the next two years as a pillow to cushion his fall.

Your reasoning and intentions are made clear and justified its creation and I like and thank the response. One thing that deterred me from the site and not taking to kindly to it was the kind of responses from a majority of people. I'm sure I don't need to explain or quote, but the use of this site by some didn't sit well for me. In turn with its creation I knew that this would be the approach by some.

I to share a love for this team, thats evident and I am no different to any other fan in regard to the feelings and emotions developed toward under achievement and lack of development. In some instances the saying that if you don't speak up, nothing gets done couldn't be more true, for me an online petition to rid a coach wasn't a necessity that turned an outcome. My thoughts had nothing to do with money or his inability to feed his family, my perception is that he is like any other person who has a job to do and its the general thought of an online petition to rid a coach that I felt wasn't of need as a mark of respect.

He didn't get the job done and that was notified by many quite early, if you feel you've succeeded toward your objective, fair enough, but I don't think so.

Thanks to you too chosen!

quote:
My thoughts had nothing to do with money or his inability to feed his family, my perception is that he is like any other person who has a job to do and its the general thought of an online petition to rid a coach that I felt wasn't of need as a mark of respect.

He didn't get the job done and that was notified by many quite early, if you feel you've succeeded toward your objective, fair enough, but I don't think so.

The reason I felt a petition was needed was because this was a web-based protest. I am not a "respected member of the media," so my opinion doesn't mean much alone. With 1000+ people beside me, someone has to listen. It took a while for me to come to the descision to create the site. It was not an overnight descision. I really don't know of any other way in which I could have accomplished the goal of letting management know that there were so many upset fans andthat we were more than OK with them releasing Hill. I tried to be as respectful as I could.

Great discussion.

On one side, we have the problem that as individuals, we have no clout and cannot express a collective voice. By default, management gets its "feel" as to the public perception from the local media. And there is not a single significant voice in the local sports media that wants to do anything to antagonize the only major professional sports team in the area, for fear of being ostracized by that organization, thus basically ruining any chance of significant professional success in that market. Thus they all patty-cake the organization's appointed one: in this case, Brian Hill. If no collective voice is organized to tell them how they feel, the default assumption by ownership is that the media is accurately assessing the opinions of the fans.

On the other side, when reading the comments of those signing the petitions, most of them were juvenile and moronic, leaving a horrible taste in the mouth of those that have even the slightest sense of decency.

quote:
Your reasoning and intentions are made clear and justified its creation and I like and thank the response. One thing that deterred me from the site and not taking to kindly to it was the kind of responses from a majority of people. I'm sure I don't need to explain or quote, but the use of this site by some didn't sit well for me. In turn with its creation I knew that this would be the approach by some.

I to share a love for this team, thats evident and I am no different to any other fan in regard to the feelings and emotions developed toward under achievement and lack of development. In some instances the saying that if you don't speak up, nothing gets done couldn't be more true, for me an online petition to rid a coach wasn't a necessity that turned an outcome. My thoughts had nothing to do with money or his inability to feed his family, my perception is that he is like any other person who has a job to do and its the general thought of an online petition to rid a coach that I felt wasn't of need as a mark of respect.

The petition part of the website was essential in showing that Wes was not the only one that was having these thoughts. Otherwise it wouldn't have been any different than the various people that post on the forums. In short, it would have been easy for Magic management to overlook it. Clearly firebrianhill.org achieved its objective because every Brian Hill article I've read (and I'm sure Magic management read as well) mentioned the website. I know the website wasn't the main reason that Hill was released but it definitely played an important role. Furthermore, Brian Hill is no longer the coach so regardless of whether Wes wants to take credit for the dismissal (which I don't think he does) the website did achieve in number 1 goal.

Otis could give 2 s**ts about that website. Patting yourself on the back about it, is not only silly, it shows a complete lack of what really happened.

You could make websites all day long, but the real reason Hill was fired had absolutely nothing to do with that site in any way, shape or form.

The funniest part is that Otis laughs at stuff like that. He gives it zero credibility, as he should.

It blows my mind that some net jockey really thinks he aided in Brian Hill's removal in any way.

For the record, the site was mentioned by the exact same journalists that have been exposed for not knowing a **** thing about the inner workings of RDV. They have been called out for that on this very board. But when they mentioned the website, all of a sudden THAT was different?

I claim none of this victory for myself. The 1000+ people who signed the petition played a part for sure. Otis may have wanted to fire Hill, but the situation in Orlando, with the arena vote, is very volitile. Public opinion is the MOST important thing to them right now. Wins, losses, player development, player unrest...inconsequential right now. Hill sucked. He deserved to be fired. We had no part in swaying Otis' mind about that.

Where we ABSOLUTELY played a part was in the relm of public opinion. Hill was very popular socially in Orlando. He did a for the community and was a charismatic man. There was no way they were going to fire that type of guy with this arena thing going on. NO WAY. If they thought the fans in Orlando wanted him, despite his ineptitude, he would still be the coach. No way BVW would have it any other way. I believe we changed a lot of the public opinion about him merely by existing. Casual fans, who had no reason to doubt his competence, now had a source telling them all the things he was doing wrong. The signatures piled up, and suddenly he was not this "untouchable" RDV guy. Public opinion turned and made it OK for him to be fired. We did not sway Otis. He already knew coach Hill was no good. We let BVW and crew know that he was no longer Orlando's golden boy that could no wrong. We said, "We're behind the arena AND firing Hill."

quote:
For the record, the site was mentioned by the exact same journalists that have been exposed for not knowing a **** thing about the inner workings of RDV. They have been called out for that on this very board. But when they mentioned the website, all of a sudden THAT was different?

By the way, none of the journalists mentioned us in a flattering way AT ALL. Its not like they said, "Hey this great site FireBrianHill.org......"

So I don't really see where you are going with that arguement.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

quote:

I felt it was nescessary at the time, given his realtionship with DeVos and his social standing in the community. When the site started he was still very popular with casual fans. With the arena issue going on, I doubt they would have fired a coach with a much social appeal as Hill. We will never know. for sure though. Everyone on here and RealGM had been saying the same things about Hill for weeks. I just decided to create the website becuase I knew people would listen if it existed as its own entity, instead of 1000 scattered comments on a message board.

On a separate note, I tend to look at professional sports figures, of any kind, almost as politicians. They have chosen a career that is very much under a microscope. In a way, this team represents this entire town. When they are doing well, we are happy. It gives us a sense of pride. When we see them underahcieve or underdevelop the team, we get upset. I think its acceptable to protest that.

I wasn't trying to ruin anyones dream or take away someone's ability to put food on the table for his family. I saw someone mismanaging the team I love and wanted it to stop. If I destroyed his dream, then he can use the extra 6 million he will get for the next two years as a pillow to cushion his fall.

Well said, I think your site got the team to realize that their PR hire of two years ago was quickly souring among their fanbase. Enough so that they actually starting listening to the complaints from season ticket holders.

Thanks for your hard work in bringing about this important change before too much damage was done.

Indeed I remember when Brian was hired, a large group of his 'hardcore' followers were screaming PR move and not the best basketball move. Brian is a poor mans Larry Brown he can't develop young talent and it was apparent this season he did a poor job of that.

good post weetzo very thoughtful about the point of not changing managements mind but informing the public that a "minority opinion"

wasnt just a minority even though the media always made it seem like we were ones or twosies and not the majority.

quote:

quote:
For me and with honesty, a creation of a website establishing an objective to rid an individual of his position as a coach is pretty disappointing.

FireBrianHill.org = Classy!

I very much doubt we'd be sitting here now with Brian still retained.

Hey weezt0e how come you did not leak what MC was saying to you? I can not defend him on this one cause he does not email me back anymore. The first couple emails I sent him, it took him a week just to respond, now he never replies back?!?!? Man I feel out of the loop and totally not special. Who did he email and what did he say? I still believe most of what he says, but dang what a blow to my ego. lol

www.firebrianhill.org was necessary

reposted and updated

Let me give you a list of reasons why the FBH.org site was courageous and necessary:

1) Otis was new at his position and did not have the required authority to deal with Brian.

2) The ownership were on record that they needed to correct a previous firing of Brian Hill. Not even Weisbrod's decision to step down was enough to change this decision.

3) Any change in coaching would be costly as Brian would expect to be paid whether he coached or not.

4) The player leadership of the team are nice guys and would not want to jeopardize their reputations as Penny Hardaway did in 97'.

5) The players needed to know that the fans were aware of the coaching problems and supported the players during this difficult time.

6) Brian Hill and the Magic generally have good rapport with the news media and the pressure needed from the local press for a coaching change was not likely to happen.

FBH.org gave the fans a forum to sign a petition and write about the coaching and the Magic. As a result of this effort, I believe the ownership was well informed.

Thank you weezt0e for www.firebianhill.org.