Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

The Officially New Official Power Rankings Thread

Maybe because this is a weekly ranking, not a let's see over the season ranking.

They are looking at the past week and how the teams are playing and decided that.

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherCavsFan:

I'm not disagreeing with the rankings, but I find it hard to figure out why Cleveland wouldn't be #1 on that list. Their only loss in the last 10 games was AT San Antonio. They are 6 games ahead of everyone in the East, and 4 games ahead of the Lakers, yet they are #2 in the Power Rankings?

They have beaten the Magic 2-1 this year, they've demolished the Celtics, and the Hawks, I think, yet they're #2?

The Magic are every bit deserving of their spot, but I don't see how they are more deserving than Cleveland.

u happy?

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerra...gs?year=2010&week=22

quote:

I'm not disagreeing with the rankings, but I find it hard to figure out why Cleveland wouldn't be #1 on that list. Their only loss in the last 10 games was AT San Antonio. They are 6 games ahead of everyone in the East, and 4 games ahead of the Lakers, yet they are #2 in the Power Rankings?

They have beaten the Magic 2-1 this year, they've demolished the Celtics, and the Hawks, I think, yet they're #2?

The Magic are every bit deserving of their spot, but I don't see how they are more deserving than Cleveland.

Because games played this week are weighed more heavily. And games played the week before that a little less heavily, etc. etc.

And true this week you only lost to San Antonio, but the Magic only lost to Atlanta (who are statistically better than San An) Meanwhile, you beat no one of consequence, while the Magic just beat, arguably, the second best team in the West.

You mention that they have only one loss in their last ten, but I could turn that around and say you've only beaten one playoff team in three weeks (1-1) while we have beaten three (3-1).

That's not really being fair though. My point is, it's about who's hotter right now. And we have proven we are, because we had the chance to.

quote:

Hollinger's rankings are based on a statistical formula that puts bigger emphasis on the last 25% of games rather than the whole season, and a bigger emphasis on point differential than record, and in the last 25% of the teams' respective games, the Magic have been better, particularly in point differential. Hence the slightly higher ranking.

No 2 on NBA.com

quote:
When a team is playing as well as the Magic have, you can easily overlook a loss every 10 days, but Friday's loss in San Antonio was the Magic's worst defensive game since the All-Star break. A visit to Cleveland on Sunday will be their final test of the regular season.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/p...nkings/04/05/week23/

quote:

Are you kidding me? The Cavs barely have a deep enough frontcourt to field a team right now and you think your team at this very instant is even close to the Magic? Without Shaq and Andy, that series isn't going 5.

quote:
2 (2) Magic 57-23 You might be right if you say we've done the Magic wrong. Only once in 24 weeks have they ranked No. 1, but they're tops in the league since the All-Star break (21-5). The Cavs and Lakers aren't in the top five on that list.

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

quote:
2 (2) Magic 57-23 You might be right if you say we've done the Magic wrong. Only once in 24 weeks have they ranked No. 1, but they're tops in the league since the All-Star break (21-5). The Cavs and Lakers aren't in the top five on that list.

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings

'm slightly upset by these power rankings. this is bull****.

quote:
This isn't about Sunday's game in Cleveland. LeBron James' absence is duly noted. But simply, the Orlando Magic have been playing better than any other team over the last couple of months.

As has been noted previously, the Magic lead the league in point differential per 100 possessions, having passed the Cavs in that metric about a month ago. But at this point, it's not even close. The Magic are +9.1 points per 100 possessions, a point and a half better than the Cavs, who are +7.6, and four full points better than the Lakers, who rank fourth at +5.1.

Further, the Magic have steadily climbed the offensive efficiency rankings, to the point where they now rank as the second best offensive team in the league, behind only the Suns. And they've got back their No. 1 defensive ranking, which the Bobcats held briefly, as well.

But if Stan Van Gundy is dripping with champagne come mid-June, don't be too surprised.

http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/

Huzzah! thank you NBA.Com (John Schuhmann) Finally someone stops riding lebrons.......need i say anymore?

NBA.com's is so awesome that it feels like a misprint. I almost completely agree with their top 15, except Denver's too low and any team that loses to Detroit right now doesn't deserve to be 7th. I'm lookin' at you, ATL.