Sign in to follow this  
splyle

Chuck Daly Passes

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4153982

quote:
DETROIT -- Chuck Daly, who coached the original Dream Team to the Olympic gold medal in 1992 after winning back-to-back NBA championships with the Detroit Pistons, died at age 78 Saturday morning, the Pistons said.

He was renowned for his ability to create harmony out of diverse personalities at all levels of the game, whether they were Ivy Leaguers at Pennsylvania, Dream Teamers Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley, or Pistons as dissimilar as Dennis Rodman and Joe Dumars.

"It's a players' league. They allow you to coach them or they don't," Daly once said. "Once they stop allowing you to coach, you're on your way out."

story?id=4153982

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4153982

quote:
DETROIT -- Chuck Daly, who coached the original Dream Team to the Olympic gold medal in 1992 after winning back-to-back NBA championships with the Detroit Pistons, died at age 78 Saturday morning, the Pistons said.

He was renowned for his ability to create harmony out of diverse personalities at all levels of the game, whether they were Ivy Leaguers at Pennsylvania, Dream Teamers Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley, or Pistons as dissimilar as Dennis Rodman and Joe Dumars.

"It's a players' league. They allow you to coach them or they don't," Daly once said. "Once they stop allowing you to coach, you're on your way out."

story?id=4153982

Ugh....what an awful news story to wake up to...man, I hate to hear this, even if it was expected.

Chuck Daly may not have had the best record of anyone coaching the Magic, but he is easily the most accomplished coach to ever coach the Magic. I really really liked him, even when he was with the Pistons and Nets.

His family, friends, and the entire NBA community will mourn his passing for quite some time.

Rest in peace Chuck Daly, you will be missed.

Basketball has lost a great ambassador today. RIP Coach.

R.I.P. Coach you were one of the best and one of my Favorite magic Coaches of all time. Before there was Phil Jackson there was you. It was you teams other feared. You will forever be remembered.

Not a good news story to wake up to at all.

For some odd reason, knowing he had this type of cancer and everyone wearing the CD pin, I had the feeling he wouldn't survive through the playoffs.

A big loss for the game of basketball and a big legend of the game itself and the NBA.

Rest in peace, Chuck Daly. Your legacy lives on.

Thank you Chuck Daly on your contribution to the game of basketball.

That team was special. Should have had three rings. He took a superstar and some good role players and built a small dynasty.

Good coach, class individual, he will be missed.