Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Magic feel the sting of Ray

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-schmitz...orl-sports-headlines

quote:
Boston Celtics assistant coach Clifford Ray isn't one to suppress an opinion, and he doesn't when it comes to the Magic's handling of Dwight Howard and Darko Milicic.

Ray, a big-man guru who became Howard's personal coach his rookie season but was let go when Brian Hill was hired, said Howard doesn't need coddling. "Seems like everybody is kissing Dwight's butt over there," Ray said before the Magic faced the Celtics Sunday.

Ray also said that he has never seen a player "misused" like Milicic, believing Darko's shooting and passing abilities have gone untapped. Milicic has said as much.

This summer Howard, who valued Ray's coaching, is up for a contract extension and Milicic will become a restricted free agent.

What do you guys think it would take to get Ray back here to help the double-Ds? Letting him go was probably one of the biggest mistakes by "That Coach". And, I don't care what ANYONE SAYS, Al Jefferson and Kendrick Perkins are far better OFFENSIVELY then Dwight and the misused Darko. You can see what the coaching of Ray has done.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-schmitz...orl-sports-headlines

quote:
Boston Celtics assistant coach Clifford Ray isn't one to suppress an opinion, and he doesn't when it comes to the Magic's handling of Dwight Howard and Darko Milicic.

Ray, a big-man guru who became Howard's personal coach his rookie season but was let go when Brian Hill was hired, said Howard doesn't need coddling. "Seems like everybody is kissing Dwight's butt over there," Ray said before the Magic faced the Celtics Sunday.

Ray also said that he has never seen a player "misused" like Milicic, believing Darko's shooting and passing abilities have gone untapped. Milicic has said as much.

This summer Howard, who valued Ray's coaching, is up for a contract extension and Milicic will become a restricted free agent.

What do you guys think it would take to get Ray back here to help the double-Ds? Letting him go was probably one of the biggest mistakes by "That Coach". And, I don't care what ANYONE SAYS, Al Jefferson and Kendrick Perkins are far better OFFENSIVELY then Dwight and the misused Darko. You can see what the coaching of Ray has done.

I would love for Ray to come back. I just think BHill is to set in his ways to let someone come in and tell him how to use his big guys.

BHill had success with Shaq and I believe BHill thinks that every big man should be used the same way the Diesel was used.

That is probably how BHill thinks. But I could have coached Shaq!! He was and is that dominant. I also believe Dwight is behind offensively right now. Why? Bhill would be my guess.

We definitely need to bring someone in. It's just a good idea to develop our players games, something that we seem to have ignored this past season. I agree with Ray's sentiments about Darko, and Dwight could've greatly benefited from learning to better play the post.

Clearly, we need a bigs coach. Anyone have Hakeem the Dream's number?

Why did Hill have to get rid of Ray? If it's like Schmitz is saying that he didn't feel that Dwight needed to be caudled, why do we sit Dwight when he is sniffing foul trouble for entire quarters? Isn't it a better idea to take our lumps now and let him learn how to play through it, for at least PART of the period?

I sure hope this doesn't bite us, I wonder how Darko would have looked this year if we still had Ray as our big man coach.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Why did Hill have to get rid of Ray? If it's like Schmitz is saying that he didn't feel that Dwight needed to be caudled, why do we sit Dwight when he is sniffing foul trouble for entire quarters? Isn't it a better idea to take our lumps now and let him learn how to play through it, for at least PART of the period?

I sure hope this doesn't bite us, I wonder how Darko would have looked this year if we still had Ray as our big man coach.

Well, the answer to all of your questions boil down to this, sheer stupidity! I can't wait for someone to come in with a real program. Bostons bigs knew just what to do, and how to defend D12 because Doc Rivers (who's style I don't care much for either) was smart enough to recognize what a Clifford Ray brings. What did BHill provide as a replacement..............treat them like Shaq and it will come together? Wrong again....idiot!! Darko would have benefitted even more from Clifford Ray, and now all we have is Bo and Battie to show for it!!! ERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!! When will this nightmare end???

Rest assured that, after those comments, Clifford is not going to get hired here while Brian Hill is coaching. Any new coach will bring his own unless Dwight is adamant.

I just love that Clifford went public with something we've talked about here countless times but rarely gets mentioned in the media, that Darko is being wasted in Hill's system.

Puts a little added pressure on Otis when other coaches are publicly critizizing his coach's ability.

I deifintely would love to get Ray back. I've email both Schmitz and Otis about re-hiring Clifford a while back. lol

man, I wish we still had him here.

quote:
Anyone have Hakeem the Dream's number?

Totally agree with that one. Of course, what made the Dream dreamy was the four year of development at college and then studying tapes on guards and small forwards. I still say Dwight could be that kind of offensive and defensive player.

Eh - he's young.

If I recall didn't Dwight and his dad both come out in the media and ask for the Magic to retain Coach Ray. Letting him go was a big mistake as he has not really developed anymore offensively since Ray left. Management needs to realize that developing Dwight and Darko is far more important that appeasing Napolean.

I am really starting to feel like Darko will be traded this summer if Brian Hill stays on as coach.

quote:
Anyone have Hakeem the Dream's number?

Not sure, but I believe Emeka has him as his trainer. At least for the last offseason.

man, Otis needsa to realize that hiring a big man coach for both Darko and Dwight is a must.