Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Closed Thread

quote:
Originally posted by JSicamore:

Dumbest thing I ever heard.

But none of you were suggesting Darko was a bust when he about overplayed Howard in the Detroit playoff series did you?

At that moment even the Detroit fans were admitting that yeah Darko looked pretty good. Too bad General Hill was clueless and had given most of the minutes to Battie.

I know this is supposed to be a "feel good" thread, oh look what happened over there! but I'll ruin in for you all by refreshing your memory.

Darko didn't look bad to me when given minutes, sure he wasn't tearing it up out there but to me he looked better than Battie!

Darko couldn't have been too motivated with Hill as coach but when him and Howard were together they looked pretty good, getting good blocks, never getting outrebounded or scored against easily inside like it happens now. Basically what was messing up our offense was Hill's one-dimensional offense and letting Jameer do whatever he wanted.

Darko is now in a crappy team, in Memphis.. playing for a team he knows isn't going anywhere, but and he's still young, mobile, and can play pretty good when motivated (which he was when given starting minutes here).

Too bad Brian Hill was a moronic figure, who just like Dumby threw in some lineups that even to the casual fan were obviously not a good idea.

Your memory seems a little rose tinted in comparison with reality.

Yes Darko played "well" in the Detroit series. He played like he had something to prove. But its not like he was putting up Tim Duncan numbers.

Game 1: 14 pts 4 boards in 27 mins

Game 2: 10 pts 6 boards 3 blocks in 28 mins

Game 3: 11 pts 2 boards 1 block in 24 mins

Game 4: 14 pts 6 boards in 35 mins

average: 12.25 points 4.5 rebounds 1 block per game.

Now thats not too shabby considering how the team played as a whole, but you cant be paying 8 million a season for this type of play. We can find several free agents that can put up 10 points and 5 rebounds in 28 minuted a game.

Also, if we're going to win a championship, we cant be throwing alot of money at unmotivated potential.

His season with us he wasnt very spectacular except for the month of February where he had a good streak of 13 games.

Darko is great when he plays hard for a month, when he has a few 19 point 13 reb games. But for every 11 point 8 rebound February 2007, he has a 4 point 4 rebound december '07

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

It doesn't matter if he can block a shot or two, giving him minutes over other players, namely Gortat, is a slap in the face to true professionals across the NBA.

SVG sat Ariza down for Patty and Ariza plays hard out there everytime. Wasn't that a slap in the face! Gortat was benched all season we desperately needed his size! It's the Magic, players are aware the team is managed and coached by idiots

Darko was a player that I regret the Magic released. The tandem that was, was one that I thought was going to be very influential for years to come. His attitude toward his work was always in question, but there was no lingering doubt of talent. Inside, outside game. Its this talent that still has me intrigued about Darko, nothing more, nothing less.

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

According to a source who recently spoke to Marc Iavaroni, Darko Milicic is the number one player Memphis would love to dump. Why? "He hates to play basketball. From the start of training camp, he begins counting down the days for the season to end so he can get back home," Iavaroni shared.

My thoughts: Thank goodness Otis let Darko walk. I never questioned his talent, just his sour attitude and questionable work ethic.

Yep.

His off the court issues are why he is gone from Orlando.

I don't get the Darko bashing around here. People say he had chances in Detroit, Orlando and Memphis and screwed them all up. He never had a shot at Detroit where he couldn't be developed, but I think he did very well while in Orlando, he just didn't get enough minutes from Brain Hill. In fact, I remember the whole board in love with Darko, calling Brian Hill out for not playing him over Battie. Everyone was dying to have Darko back during the offseason and everyone was pissed at Otis for passing at him. How does that translate to Darko wasting his talent while he was here? As far as I remember, he was loved here and looked great besides Howard, even though we almost never got to see them together thanks to Hill.

It's funny how some bashers immediately feast on a thread wherein there isn't even one shred of an actual quote from the persons involved. This is almost like a gossip, this ain't Desperate Housewives people. It's not a knock on you Soul Bro, I love your insider stuff but I'm just stating an opinion.

Talks of us not wanting somebody back should be reserved for Shaq or Grant Hill. As far as Darko is concerned, he's still 22 years old and was actually good in his season with us up until Cornstein screwed up everything. Let's look at the big picture and look at the positives that a deal including him would provide instead of the negatives.

As far as him taking minutes away from Marcin, I really thought of Gortat as a backup to Dwight. Maybe even a backup PF. No way Gortat is more of a starter PF than Darko. Marcin probably needs 1-2 more years of experience for that.

quote:
Originally posted by magic berto:

It's funny how some bashers immediately feast on a thread wherein there isn't even one shred of an actual quote from the persons involved. This is almost like a gossip, this ain't Desperate Housewives people. It's not a knock on you Soul Bro, I love your insider stuff but I'm just stating an opinion.

Talks of us not wanting somebody back should be reserved for Shaq or Grant Hill. As far as Darko is concerned, he's still 22 years old and was actually good in his season with us up until Cornstein screwed up everything. Let's look at the big picture and look at the positives that a deal including him would provide instead of the negatives.

As far as him taking minutes away from Marcin, I really thought of Gortat as a backup to Dwight. Maybe even a backup PF. No way Gortat is more of a starter PF than Darko. Marcin probably needs 1-2 more years of experience for that.

I agree that Marcin needs a year or two to be a starter, but lests be honest, doesn't Darko? Just because Darko is "talented" doesn't mean he can step into a starting role. Further, Marcin is fueled, fueled by his desire to be the greatest Polish basketball player ever and by his father's legacy as an Olympic boxer.

If Gortat had Darko's raw talent, he wold be NBA first team player in his career. I don't want any selfish, whiney, disgruntelled with their job to get paid TONS of money, *****footed, unmotivated sack of crap on my team, especially if he is going to hamper the growth of a player who really deserves every penny and minute of playing time he gets. Let someone else pay him a lot of money because he is tall.

lol @ this thread, not going to debate an premise some want to believe, but I've never seen a player be one of only 3 players on his entire team who play D, and hate playing basketball. I would think the infamous Darko blowup for the national team last year alone disproves this.

I don't think what Soul Bro said was entirely inaccurate, just that it was incomplete. It should say, "From the moment training camp starts in Memphis , Darko counts down the minutes to the endof the season so he can get out of Memphis."

The Magic didn't let Darko walk because they did not want to keep him. They let Darko walk because they valued Rashard Lewis more than Darko, and did not want to give Darko $10M for 5 years. Cornstein tried to rip off the Magic, we walked away, and then Cornstein got ticked off. Instead, he put his client into a lose-lose situation in Memphis.

Now Darko is not the saving grace or any stretch of the imagination. But he's a very good passer and plays solid defense. A high post compliment to Dwight would be very nice in SVG's offense. Remember, it's not necessarily about the numbers the guy would put up to determine his impact on the team.

Cook + JJ + Exception for Darko + Crittenton.

No reason to throw in a 2nd rounder when they are trying to dump Darko.