Sign in to follow this  
richnba

Imus and his racist coments

Imus Takes His Lumps on Sharpton's Show

Apr 9, 6:55 AM EST

The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Don Imus had a hot seat on the other side of the microphone Monday, appearing on the Rev. Al Sharpton's radio show and enduring more criticism for his offensive comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

Imus issued another apology for referring to members of the team as "nappy-headed hos." Sharpton called the comments "abominable" and "racist" and repeated his demand that Imus be fired.

"Our agenda is to be funny and sometimes we go too far. And this time we went way too far," Imus said on "The Al Sharpton Show."

Video: Imus explains racially-charged remarks

The meeting prompted a series of testy exchanges, and Imus grew visibly frustrated at times. During one exchange, Imus said he can't win with "you people." Sharpton was clearly irritated by that remark.

In another encounter, Sharpton said, "If you walk away from this unscathed ..."

"How am I unscathed by this?" Imus interrupted. "Don't you think I'm humiliated?"

During commercial breaks, Sharpton walked out of the studio and said few words to Imus.

Earlier Monday, on his own radio show, Imus called himself "a good person" who made a bad mistake.

"Here's what I've learned: that you can't make fun of everybody, because some people don't deserve it," he said on his show, which is nationally syndicated to millions of listeners. "And because the climate on this program has been what it's been for 30 years doesn't mean that it has to be that way for the next five years or whatever because that has to change, and I understand that."

He pointed to his involvement with the Imus Ranch, a working cattle ranch for children with cancer and blood disorders in New Mexico. Ten percent of the children who come to the ranch are black, he said.

"I'm not a white man who doesn't know any African-Americans," he said.

On the radio show, Sharpton said that Imus' good deeds do not make up for what he said about the Rutgers team, which includes eight black women.

"This is not about whether you're a good man," Sharpton said.

What you said was racist."

Imus said he hoped to meet the Rutgers players and their parents and coaches, and that he was grateful for the appearance on Sharpton's nationally syndicated show.

"It's not going to be easy, but I'm not looking for it to be easy," Imus said.

Meanwhile, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and about 50 others marched Monday outside the Chicago offices of NBC, the General Electric Co. subsidiary that owns MSNBC, carrying signs and shouting "Imus must go." Jackson said Imus' comments contribute to "a climate of degradation" and stem from a lack of blacks as program hosts.

Imus made the now infamous remark during his show Wednesday.

The Rutgers team, which includes eight black women, had lost the day before in the NCAA women's championship game. Imus was speaking with producer Bernard McGuirk about the game when the exchange began on "Imus in the Morning." The show is broadcast on more than 70 stations and MSNBC.

"That's some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said. "Man, they got tattoos ... ."

"Some hardcore hos," McGuirk said.

"That's some nappy-headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.

Imus apologized on the air Friday, but his mea culpa has not quieted the uproar.

James E. Harris, president of the New Jersey chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, demanded Sunday that Imus "resign or be terminated immediately."

Allison Gollust, a spokeswoman for MSNBC, said the network considers Imus' comments "deplorable" and was reviewing the matter.

Karen Mateo, a spokeswoman for CBS Radio

Imus Takes His Lumps on Sharpton's Show

Apr 9, 6:55 AM EST

The Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Don Imus had a hot seat on the other side of the microphone Monday, appearing on the Rev. Al Sharpton's radio show and enduring more criticism for his offensive comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

Imus issued another apology for referring to members of the team as "nappy-headed hos." Sharpton called the comments "abominable" and "racist" and repeated his demand that Imus be fired.

"Our agenda is to be funny and sometimes we go too far. And this time we went way too far," Imus said on "The Al Sharpton Show."

Video: Imus explains racially-charged remarks

The meeting prompted a series of testy exchanges, and Imus grew visibly frustrated at times. During one exchange, Imus said he can't win with "you people." Sharpton was clearly irritated by that remark.

In another encounter, Sharpton said, "If you walk away from this unscathed ..."

"How am I unscathed by this?" Imus interrupted. "Don't you think I'm humiliated?"

During commercial breaks, Sharpton walked out of the studio and said few words to Imus.

Earlier Monday, on his own radio show, Imus called himself "a good person" who made a bad mistake.

"Here's what I've learned: that you can't make fun of everybody, because some people don't deserve it," he said on his show, which is nationally syndicated to millions of listeners. "And because the climate on this program has been what it's been for 30 years doesn't mean that it has to be that way for the next five years or whatever because that has to change, and I understand that."

He pointed to his involvement with the Imus Ranch, a working cattle ranch for children with cancer and blood disorders in New Mexico. Ten percent of the children who come to the ranch are black, he said.

"I'm not a white man who doesn't know any African-Americans," he said.

On the radio show, Sharpton said that Imus' good deeds do not make up for what he said about the Rutgers team, which includes eight black women.

"This is not about whether you're a good man," Sharpton said.

What you said was racist."

Imus said he hoped to meet the Rutgers players and their parents and coaches, and that he was grateful for the appearance on Sharpton's nationally syndicated show.

"It's not going to be easy, but I'm not looking for it to be easy," Imus said.

Meanwhile, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and about 50 others marched Monday outside the Chicago offices of NBC, the General Electric Co. subsidiary that owns MSNBC, carrying signs and shouting "Imus must go." Jackson said Imus' comments contribute to "a climate of degradation" and stem from a lack of blacks as program hosts.

Imus made the now infamous remark during his show Wednesday.

The Rutgers team, which includes eight black women, had lost the day before in the NCAA women's championship game. Imus was speaking with producer Bernard McGuirk about the game when the exchange began on "Imus in the Morning." The show is broadcast on more than 70 stations and MSNBC.

"That's some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said. "Man, they got tattoos ... ."

"Some hardcore hos," McGuirk said.

"That's some nappy-headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.

Imus apologized on the air Friday, but his mea culpa has not quieted the uproar.

James E. Harris, president of the New Jersey chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, demanded Sunday that Imus "resign or be terminated immediately."

Allison Gollust, a spokeswoman for MSNBC, said the network considers Imus' comments "deplorable" and was reviewing the matter.

Karen Mateo, a spokeswoman for CBS Radio

Its a touchy subject but he should have known better. I personally don't think it was racist but he should have seen that it would get turned into the circus that it has become. It won't surprise me if CBS fires him. Does he deserve it? Probably

Jesse and Al are both closet racist IMO. I doubt they would have me over for dinner.

One thing I have learned is that one insensitive remark can ruin a long, successful career. Being black, I found Imus' remarks uncalled for, but its not like I haven't heard ten times worse in conversation with my friends.

That said, Imus should know he can't go there in this politically correct environment we face today. Especially when there are people that completely base their entire careers on race-baiting and hate mongering (ie. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton).

Also Rich, you're right in a point you made. I don't think if someone said that a predominately white girls basketball team was a bunch of pasty, fake-blonde skanks, they would receive as much backlash. Probably a fine from the FCC, but it would mostly go unnoticed. How many people called Janet Reno a host of degrading names? Just about every comedian or talkperson. Sure, it was true, but did anyone lose their job?

But you have the historical context of the slavery issue that's why white trashing is ok but trashing blacks is not. These " celebrity " types like Imus sit on a self made high horse and think they are better than everyone else in my opinion. These people, like Limbaugh, et al. don't really work/produce anything; they just shoot their mouths off for a couple hours and make big bucks. And simpletons (like where I work) listen and believe them. Fire the jerk!

Imus comments were way more sexist than racist. You're not going to get away with calling educated black women hoes. The racial outrage predictably got the attention, but watch what drives the conversation.

This issue was being ignored until Vivian Stringer opened that topic at the press conference this morning.

Feminist hate the disparaging comments or attitudes toward women that seem to keep spreading in through this society's entertainment.

First off, what he said was idiotic, racist, sexist, etc. etc.

But considering he IS a shock jock, I find it odd that everyone is shocked?

The sad part of this whole thing is that he will likely come back to higher ratings than before. For these guys there is no such thing as negative publicity.

I don't listen to idiots like him, Stern, or the rest of the wannebes. The worse thing you can do to these guys is ignore them, with no audience then they become just like any crazy homeless man ranting on a street corner.

The Rutger's coach said that it wasn't about Imus. It's about what we've become as a society that doesn't check itself. I agree. We're too busy grabbing goodies to take a look.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

The sad part of this whole thing is that he will likely come back to higher ratings than before. For these guys there is no such thing as negative publicity.

I don't listen to idiots like him, Stern, or the rest of the wannebes. The worse thing you can do to these guys is ignore them, with no audience then they become just like any crazy homeless man ranting on a street corner.

Imus is basically the father of this type of format, I get a kick out of these guys apologizing for any comment that they make. The only thing these type of jocks are sorry about is that they get caught/in trouble for what they say.

Their entire careers are based on tip toeing a line. They want to say things that are bad but not bad enough to get people calling for their heads. The sad thing is, there are many other ways to be funny without tearing people down.

Imus should give "Greaseman" a call, he made racist comments on air a couple of years back and not only did he lose his job, he can't even use his name without people going after him.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Imus is basically the father of this type of format, I get a kick out of these guys apologizing for any comment that they make. The only thing these type of jocks are sorry about is that they get caught/in trouble for what they say.

Their entire careers are based on tip toeing a line. They want to say things that are bad but not bad enough to get people calling for their heads. The sad thing is, there are many other ways to be funny without tearing people down.

Imus should give "Greaseman" a call, he made racist comments on air a couple of years back and not only did he lose his job, he can't even use his name without people going after him.

This is exactly right. The only reason Imus apologized was because of the backlash. He does not care that he made the comment or that it hurt people he just cares about pumping out his radio show and collecting his 5 mil a year. If he needs to do some positive pr for that he will. I have never understood the fascination with guys like him or Stern and here in Tampa we used to have a guy named Bubba the Love Sponge who was of the same mold before he got fired. Shock radio is the easiest radio to put on because you literally talk about nothing and just make stupid remarks. His remarks were made to his "viewers." If you like listening to his show than you are probably like him in some way or form and therefor were not offended by his comments. It was really stupid and I believe racist but lets not try to trick the public into believing he is sorry. To me that is the biggest joke of all.

And the backlash continues.... Today on the Shannon Burke show, they were discussing the Imus situation and things got to where Soul Brutha Kevin was showed the door by Shannon, and and Soul Brutha Kevin took him up on it - the show went to break and hasnt come back since, they are playing best of now for the past 45 minutes.

Well...as Im typing this, they came back... Kevin wont be back today - cooler heads are prevailing - they say they will have some good talks after the show - we'll see where it goes.