Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Jameer's Extension: Otis "tells it like it is"! (Denton article)

Ugh - I don't think letting him test the market as a restricted FA would be a wise idea, not unless we have a consistent PG locked up first. Let's admit it - Arroyo isn't a starting caliber PG, more suited for coming off the bench. He, just like Jameer, has been wildly inconsistent this season. Travis is still raw, rarely playing. If we let Jameer test the markets and a team offers a deal we don't or can't match, we'll be between a rock and a hard place...

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

At this point I would say skip doing any extension this summer and let the market decide as a restricted FA next summer.

I second the motion.

quote:
Originally posted by Nike:

Ugh - I don't think letting him test the market as a restricted FA would be a wise idea, not unless we have a consistent PG locked up first. Let's admit it - Arroyo isn't a starting caliber PG, more suited for coming off the bench. He, just like Jameer, has been wildly inconsistent this season. Travis is still raw, rarely playing. If we let Jameer test the markets and a team offers a deal we don't or can't match, we'll be between a rock and a hard place...

Completely disagree. If a team wants to offer Jameer-5-8 million a year then they have put themselves between a rock and a hard place financially. Jammer, someday may be worth that kind of green, but right now, he isn't worth more than what Arroyo is getting paid.

The point of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement is to give teams the ability to retain their draft picks. If some other team offers him a ridiculous amount of money, we won't have any desire to retain him. Thus opening up the possibility for us to replace him.

We have gambled this season on Jameer. I would not commit to anything longer than one more year on him. I will Admit that Arroyo has not demonstrated the consistency to be our starting PG but nether has Jameer. What I am telling you is that with Jameer 34 wins with Arroyo I do not think we would only have 33. I only want one of these guys back next year.

ORLANDO - Jameer Nelson's future with the Orlando Magic would seem safe, what with him being named team captain before the season and also firmly affixed as part of the team's youthful core.

Nelson has played well his first season as the Magic's full-time starter at point guard, but still Orlando is expecting more out of its 25-year-old point guard. They'd like to see him play better defense, see him better run an offense that has been inefficient most of the season and hear him speak up when things go awry.

Nelson is eligible to sign a contract extension this summer, but that's hardly a guaranteed slam dunk. General manager Otis Smith is quick to call Nelson one of his favorite players, but he's of the opinion that the Magic need to see more out of the 6-foot point guard before they lock him up contractually for five more seasons.

"His extension depends on how our team performs," Smith said recently. "It's not my style to give away money just because the rules say that I can. You have to show your worth, and with (34) wins, I'm not sure exactly what that value is right now."

Smith is as close to Nelson as he is with any Magic player, and needling the point guard is usually his way of pushing him to do more. To his credit, Nelson said he's been "inconsistent," and points out that "it's been a learning process" trying to figure out how to run a team when you are still learning the ropes as a third-year point guard.

"I look at guys like (Steve) Nash and Chauncey (Billups) and I see that they didn't totally get it in their first or second seasons and it took them a while to become the player they have," said Nelson, who is averaging 13.3 points and 4.1 assists for the Magic. "Looking at their situations it shows you that it takes time to become totally comfortable."

Uncomfortable might be the best way to describe this season for the 34-41 Magic. Much was expected after a stirring 16-6 finish to last season and 13-4 streak to start this year. But Orlando has been an unpredictable mess for months now and it enters tonight's home game against the Memphis Grizzlies barely clinging to the final playoff slot in the Eastern Conference.

"We're still in a pretty good situation because last year this time we were on the outside looking in and needing other teams to lose," Nelson said. "Now we control everything. And we still think we have a chance to better our position."

The Magic were comfortable enough with Nelson's leadership skills that the team voted him a co-captain before the year. And while he's become the Magic's third-leading scorer and their go-to shooter in the clutch, some have wondered about Nelson's viability as a point guard.

The Magic's offense ranks at or near the bottom in several telling categories. Orlando is 29th in scoring (94.1), 30th in assists (18.2) and 30th in turnovers (17.1). Some might say that is a poor reflection on the point guard.

Whether or not Nelson has shown enough progress to earn a long-term contract extension is yet to be seen. Dwight Howard is a lock to get a five-year, $87 million deal this summer, and the Magic would prefer to keep fellow 21-year-old Darko Milicic, a restricted free agent this summer. They locked up another 21-year-old, Trevor Ariza, last summer.

Just how much money Nelson deserves is yet to be seen. He likely won't get a deal similar to the five-year, $47 million pact that Kirk Hinrich signed with the Chicago Bulls, and he should get more than the $24 million Luke Ridnour agreed to with Seattle. A comparable deal might be the $33 million contract T.J. Ford inked with Toronto.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...04070331/1002/SPORTS

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

I have some serious reservations about making this guy our point guard of the future. Now it is true that sometimes the point guard position takes longer to get an understanding of how to run a team efficiently.

But right now these stats listed above speak "volumnes"!

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...04070331/1002/SPORTS

I agree Junkie! After 3 years in the loope, growing into the Magic offense and still performing at the low, inconsistent level he is performing at, I too have seriuous reservations as to keeping him as our future PG.

I too hope that he somehow brings it in the final games and god-willing in the playoffs, but just like Charles Barkley says: "No one gets better at this stage of the season, no one! You can't expect to better yourself with 8-10 games left, where you are at this point is where you'll be at the end of the season and throughout the playoffs". This is Barkley talking about the kid from Kansas who signed with NY a couple of weeks ago after the NCAA tourney ended for UK. But then he also took the train of thought and added it to team play and individual players as well.

I totally agree with that. One could have a solid game, compared to the incosistent games of the season, but one really won't come about a drastic change in playing style with 8 games left...one is who one is. Truer words have never been spoken.

If he (Jameer) or any other player in our roster wants to change the way they play and better themseleves in any specific area, it has to come about in the off-season, when you can truly work on your individual game and every aspect that needs to be addressed within it.

PG for the future? None of the ones we have now, but we do have strong, capable back-up PG's in Arroyo and Dooling. I didn't mention Jameer as a strong, capable back-up PG, because in my mind, as I've always stated before, I don't see him as a PG at all, I will always see him as an undersized SG who will never be able to defend the established SG's of this league...he has trouble enough guarding the taller PG's that seem to have a way with him night-in-night-out, causing him to be a defensive liability.

PG for the future? The future will tell, as of now, the present just shows somewhat of a different reality in the PG position for our team.

Much Love!

I'd rather have Jameer over Arroyo personally. A replacement starting PG is still needed though. What available PGs are there in the draft other than Billups?

Although Jameer is a shoot first guard, he is still leading the team in assists (4.2)

Hey, Franchise, I think your signature photo properly expresses the concern that folks are raising about Jameer.

In your photo, you'll note that Jameer is shooting with all 24 seconds still showing on the shot clock.

Freudian slip? Too funny...

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

At this point I would say skip doing any extension this summer and let the market decide as a restricted FA next summer.

I second the motion.

I third it. Giving him money for a subpar season sends the wrong message to the rest of the team as well. Play inconsistenly but if you are liked we will keep you around. If he has to fight for things his whole life let him fight for his next NBA contract. He seems to be the type that plays alot more motivated with a chip on his shoulder. Let the market dictate his worth next year. I really do not think any teams will be throwing him the max so the team should be alright.

It's a gamble, if they really see him as the future at PG (shivering)then he could play himself into a much larger contract after next season especially if we pick up a wing scorer.

If they are really seeing him as long term, you may get him on the cheap if you sign him now when his value is low. I doubt too many teams are fighting to get him right now.

i think marc is one of the very few that knows how a GM thinks. some of these statements i read (even though they are a opinion that i repect) are so dumb i felt like my mind was raped because stupid and unwanted information was shoved into my brain. Good insight marc

ink meer now...because next year hes MAKE us pay him more money. i mean **** they crowned him TEAM Captain THIS SEASON....hell improve this summer. i can feel it

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

A contract similar to TJ Ford's???

Ford has outplayed Jameer all season and has torched him each time they have matched up.

Nelson deserves Travis Diener money because that's how he's playing. Like a 3rd string PG.

Sorry Smackdaddy, but that comment is **** near ridiculous. I know Nelson isnt Nash, but he is a lot better than a 3rd string PG. He has room for improvement and I know we have all been disappointed in a few aspects of his game, but there is no doubt that the man can play. He was the college player of the year and if he improves on a couple things, he can be our man of the future.

I was just going to chalk that comment up to frustration, which you are completely entitled to feel, but now you are getting some "bumps" and I just wanted my side heard.

Go Magic

TheGodfather