Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Otis, what are you thinking Re: J.J. Redick?

I don't think that BallJunkie's going to like us getting his thread off-topic. So let's get this back on track.

JJ sucks! Why did Otis draft him? Why did he refuse to trade him?

Smack, Ball Junkie what are you talking about??? We were down by nearly 20 points when they inserted JJ into the game...JJ sparked the team to cut the lead to 9. Is is defense great? No. Is it bad? Not hardly. He is not a bad defender, but could be made a statement of in limited minutes. I think JJ played harder than most of the team out there last night. Just because he missed a few free throws and a few shot attempts i wouldnt discredit his effort in a last minute game plan change. Had Dooling not gone out of the game...Him and JJ could have brought us back to possibly win this game I believe. JJ was playing better all around basketball than Mo Evans hands down last night. As for Arroyo...i can promise you if he was in fact arguing with Van Gundy...dont count on him seeing any minutes on Latin Night...Van Gundy will find away for him not to play for the disrespect!

I really dont have a problem getting Redick some minutes. Last night was actually a great time. Mo and Bogans were not getting it done and he got the kid some burn. If we are going to keep him, which i think this organization is, then we need to get him somewhat acclimated into the game. Even for short burn. I honestly dont think were going to keep Evans AND Bogans after this year, so you might as well see what you have in the GAME, not just practice.

Yep the guy has some holes in his game, but some things just cant be fixed or even made better by just practice. The guy has offense, theres no denying that, but he needs playing time to get some confidence and some experience to find out if hes worth it or not.

Here's my take on JJ Redick from last night. A JJ fan will look at his performance and admire his production without consideration for the lapses or conditions. Kinda like admiring a rainbow while getting drenched by the rain.

Where as somebody looking at his performance objectively will recognize that his defensive lapses occured on several possessions, and will also analyze the game conditions. The game was decided. Philadelphia ceased to play with the same intensity that grew their lead to 20 points.

Therefore, JJ's performance under such conditions becomes less impressive.

As I told a good friend of mine this morning who insisted JJ could score 15ppg, this based on the fact he has scored well in limited playing time...sure, JJ can score in 15 minutes during blowout games when outcome is no longer of consequence. But that by no means identifies that he could produce on a consistent basis when outcome was still in question and the game conditions were quite different.

I have a big problem with the fact that JJ's defense looks so poor when he is typically playing mop up minutes/or blow out minutes, when opposing offenses aren't in severe attack mode.

But maybe that's just my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Here's my take on JJ Redick from last night. A JJ fan will look at his performance and admire his production without consideration for the lapses or conditions. Kinda like admiring a rainbow while getting drenched by the rain.

Where as somebody looking at his performance objectively will recognize that his defensive lapses occured on several possessions, and will also analyze the game conditions. The game was decided. Philadelphia ceased to play with the same intensity that grew their lead to 20 points.

Therefore, JJ's performance under such conditions becomes less impressive.

As I told a good friend of mine this morning who insisted JJ could score 15ppg, this based on the fact he has scored well in limited playing time...sure, JJ can score in 15 minutes during blowout games when outcome is no longer of consequence. But that by no means identifies that he could produce on a consistent basis when outcome was still in question and the game conditions were quite different.

I have a big problem with the fact that JJ's defense looks so poor when he is typically playing mop up minutes/or blow out minutes, when opposing offenses aren't in severe attack mode.

But maybe that's just my opinion.

No you have great points. JJ right now is defensively challenged no doubt. I guess my point is that he needs more of a burn in some game time activity to see if he can improve.

I dont agree that JJ right now should see playing time when the game is on the line, but hes got to get it somehow, and practice is not the same, its just not. Your out there playing guys you dont play against every day in practice, with the lights shining down, and 15000 fans in your ear.

This organization has decided to keep him, and i dont know if i agree with that or not, but they have decided. So if thats the case, then we need to acclimate him somehow. I thought last night, against a lesser team, who was whoopin our ***, was probably the best time to get him some time.

From what I saw, I wasnt really impressed a whole lot, but I do see flashes and thats what keeps me and a lot of people intrigued.

My take on JJ's game play last night is that he had his ups and down. His Defense was ok, but clearly needs some work he left/lost his man 3 or 4 times last night, but he hopefully will get better as he gets more playing time, he does not need to be a great Defender but just an average one that does not lose his man. JJ also appeared to be a little out of sync with some of his teammates at times. On the good side he showed that he is still willing to prove himself and try and show that he should get PT (not saying that he will get it yet). I think if JJ gets better at defense he will become a good player for us.

Sorry guys, I got one of those "internal error" message things. And thanks Smack for bringing the thread back on topic.

Most of you guys are talking about his defense and we all know that it isn't one of his strong suits.

What bothers me, and I alluded to it in my opening post is the way players can get up in his grill and block and or deflect his shots. The ESPN boyz in one of their chats said that was what was told to them behind closed doors as to why Redick isn't getting any burn.

Does anybody really think when and or if Redick is on the floor with say Dwight, Rashard and Turk that they are gonna be running plays for him to run off of screens? What if Redick has a defender on him that doesn't mind chasing him, again, how does he get his shot off?

I just don't see where Redick has a future on this roster as is and why Otis would not trade him? It's not like we don't have some holes we need fixed.

There's nothing that I've seen that indicates JJ will get a chance to be on the floor with Dwight, Shard, & Hedo to prove his worth as a shooter.

We have enough scoring in the starting lineup, and JJ has a tough enough time competing for time as a 3rd string guard backing up two career backups.

Not gonna happen.

To answer the subject directly I am not really sure. I noticed last night as well that he was not really able to get any offense going when someone is on him and as always his defense was terrible but that was a total team issue last night due to lack of effort.

Simply put there seem to me at least to be way to many athletes in the NBA for JJ to ever be effective except for someone who can catch and shoot. The Magic have enough of those guys as it stands...I think JJ is trying hard and I cannot fault his effort and he became way more aggressive his senior season at Duke. Remember the knock on him was that he can only shoot so he tried taking it to the rim alot in college and I think in a way he still thinks he needs to prove he can breakdown his defender as he progresses in the NBA. I just do not think he can take many guys off the dribble or shoot fade-aways over anyone. His game to me is literally catch and shoot.

I think Otis is right in that JJ is a valuable piece and I think even if he continues to play and struggle he has trade value. Teams are always looking for shooters like him and a team with a better frontline could help makeup for his inability to defend.

What I hope to see is JJ and a re-signed PJG traded away for a power forward this summer. If you have to throw in a draft pick do it.

This is probably my biggest criticism of Otis Smith first drafting JJ Redick and now his unwillingness to part ways with him. I honestly thought when Otis said that he wouldn't trade JJ he was trying to play a mind game with an opposing GM so they would think that if they got Otis to include JJ in a trade that they would believe they got over on him because its one of his/our team's favorite players; boy was I wrong.

I'm hoping they don't play him because in my honest opinion the more playing time he gets the more he'll look like an inadequate pro thus lowering his trade value. I say keep him on the bench, keep him as a mystery and hope another GM is willing to roll the dice for the ACC scoring leader.

bj, i think you would be better suited to start threads concerning bogans. you distaste for jj is well documented and i think most are tired of hearing it. jj is trying to make it in a tough situation. he may do it or he may not. continuing to disect every move once every ten days when he plays a few minutes is really a waste of time. we all should have something better to talk about. jj's problems are old news. lets move on. jacklj

Good lord, I couldn't believe it when I saw SVG put both Redick and Arroyo into the game last night. That was just asking for trouble.

Both players looked like they wanted to be somewhere else when they got on the floor. Now, JJ is a very competitive guy and eventually found some rythm and really tried hard when he was out there.

But the initial sentiment we saw from both players is where it's really at. Both players looked like they wanted to be somewhere else, NOT getting thrown into a game they had no anticipation of playing in.

It was at that moment that I really confirmed all the sentiments I had a few weeks ago about Otis. The guy is a fool. He might have big ideas, but Otis is absolutely foolish for not trading those two guys. Neither is going to contribute to this team ever again. Neither has their heart in it for this team anymore. So why keep them??? Ugh.