Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Otis, what are you thinking Re: J.J. Redick?

Sorry for starting another Redick thread but if everybody else can do it, why can't I?

This thread is as much about Otis as it is J.J.

I went to the Kings game Sunday night and saw Redick play in garbage time. Not only was he getting his shot blocked but he looked disinterested in playing. I understand his playing time quandry completely.

Then last night I'm watching Redick get more playing time then he has in a long time. I saw him get his shot blocked shooting a jumper. I saw him getting his shot blocked taking the ball to the hole, I shockingly saw him getting his shot blocked shooting a "fadeaway" jumper which is hard to imagine.

His defense is fully on display, even in his limited minutes. Point blank, it's terrible. He and Jameer made one of the lowest scoring teams in the league(Philly) look like all NBA.

Even though he didn't shoot well I'm not going to bash him for that because as a former player myself I understand how hard it is to stay in a shooting rhythm when you are only playing once or twice a month.

Matt Goukas mentioned last night on the telecast that Stan has a set of plays that he runs for Redick when he is in the game. Why do we have a set of plays for Redick to run off of screens when we have Dwight, Rashard and Turk? Three guys that average close to 20 points per game already. Throw in Jameer who can score and do we really need a second string shooting guard who doesn't even have a chance to get his shot off without Dwight commanding double teams in the post? Shoot, with Keyon Dooling running the second team I don't even see them running plays for Redick anyway. We all know Keyon has been taking the ball to the hole with success all season long.

If J.J. Redick was the sticking point to us making some moves at the trade deadline I just don't understand it? I don't even see playing time in the future for the guy. Certainly not with Jameer locked in as our starter and owed a lot of money.

Potential? That's a word that is used a lot when making references to J.J. Do you guys realize J.J. Redick is 24 years old? Most guys reach their physical peak around 27, 28 years old. Is J.J. all of a sudden gonna become quicker and stronger to be able to physically compete with the athlete's you see in the NBA on a nightly basis? Especially at the position he plays.

Why didn't Otis trade him? I don't get it.

I realize my opinions on this subject are not going to be very popular. I might in fact be the only one on the boards that feels this way.

Please be respectful and stick to the issues I have brought to the table in your responses. I would appreciate it.

Sorry for starting another Redick thread but if everybody else can do it, why can't I?

This thread is as much about Otis as it is J.J.

I went to the Kings game Sunday night and saw Redick play in garbage time. Not only was he getting his shot blocked but he looked disinterested in playing. I understand his playing time quandry completely.

Then last night I'm watching Redick get more playing time then he has in a long time. I saw him get his shot blocked shooting a jumper. I saw him getting his shot blocked taking the ball to the hole, I shockingly saw him getting his shot blocked shooting a "fadeaway" jumper which is hard to imagine.

His defense is fully on display, even in his limited minutes. Point blank, it's terrible. He and Jameer made one of the lowest scoring teams in the league(Philly) look like all NBA.

Even though he didn't shoot well I'm not going to bash him for that because as a former player myself I understand how hard it is to stay in a shooting rhythm when you are only playing once or twice a month.

Matt Goukas mentioned last night on the telecast that Stan has a set of plays that he runs for Redick when he is in the game. Why do we have a set of plays for Redick to run off of screens when we have Dwight, Rashard and Turk? Three guys that average close to 20 points per game already. Throw in Jameer who can score and do we really need a second string shooting guard who doesn't even have a chance to get his shot off without Dwight commanding double teams in the post? Shoot, with Keyon Dooling running the second team I don't even see them running plays for Redick anyway. We all know Keyon has been taking the ball to the hole with success all season long.

If J.J. Redick was the sticking point to us making some moves at the trade deadline I just don't understand it? I don't even see playing time in the future for the guy. Certainly not with Jameer locked in as our starter and owed a lot of money.

Potential? That's a word that is used a lot when making references to J.J. Do you guys realize J.J. Redick is 24 years old? Most guys reach their physical peak around 27, 28 years old. Is J.J. all of a sudden gonna become quicker and stronger to be able to physically compete with the athlete's you see in the NBA on a nightly basis? Especially at the position he plays.

Why didn't Otis trade him? I don't get it.

I realize my opinions on this subject are not going to be very popular. I might in fact be the only one on the boards that feels this way.

Please be respectful and stick to the issues I have brought to the table in your responses. I would appreciate it.

Not only did Otis decide that Redick was too valuable to trade, but he also pointed out that Arroyo was as well. The same Arroyo who got into a shouting match with SVG on the bench after Arroyo dribbled the ball the length of the court, refused to run the play that was caled and drove the bal directly into three defenders at the hoop that resulted in a fast break basket for Philly.

SVG was so disgusted that he immediately tried to get Jameer into the game without calling a timeout and without Jameer checking in at the scorers table.

The arguement that ensued on the bench was very heated with Arroyo throwing his arms in the air several times.

On the topic of Redick, I've already ahd 2-3 people this morning contact me directly regarding Redick's performance. one was very impressed, and the others didn't watch the game and wanted my opinion.

My opinion: Redick only gets minutes in blowout games, and even then, regularly doesn't get clock during mop up time. It's not that impressive that a player can score 10 points in 15 minutes if he is getting double digit shot attempts in those limited minutes.

Any 12th man in the NBA should be able to come in when a game is decided and score double digits on double digit shot attempts.

The most disgusting part of JJ's exhibition last night was his once again porous defense. Willie Green was raising up over JJ for jumpshots, and beating him backdoor for layups. The jump shots speak directly at JJ's lack of size and athleticism. His opponents don't need to drive by him, they can shoot right over him, even with him being faced up a few inches away. Then, when JJ gets turned the wrong way, the backdoor is always available when JJ is on the court.

As for Otis' reluctance/insistence that Arroyo/Garrity/JJ were too valuable to trade...well, that's been talked to death in another thread.

Im not sure if im reading this right. But did you say why does SVG have plays for JJ and not the other guys? Cause i doubt he doesnt have specific plays for those guys.

JJ does look disinterested at times. JJ can score in bunches but we dont look for him. He is at his best in the flow of the game with players who see the whole floor. He was open countless times last night for an open 3 and didnt get the ball. Hedo was the worst culprit.

I only saw the one blocked shot. That was more of a forced shot then getting blocked. IDK why he tried to shoot that. But he did have a nice running fadeaway from the FT line.

His defense didnt look that bad. Except for the one where he turned his back. The Willie Green pull up jumper was just a good shot. I see alot of 76ers games being from Pa and Green does that move to everyone.

The real problem last night was our starting backcourt. Evans and Nelson combined to get outscored by the 76ers guards 52-2. Andre Miller completly dominated Jameer. Dooling is a horrible offensive PG. He missed Brian Cook one time, I almost screamed. Dooling dribbles with his head down. Dooling also missed Redick in a game earlier when we were down by 3 and Dooling took a contested 30 footer when Redick was wide open beside him.

Hedo was equally as horrible last night. He was just forcing stupid shots. He also missed countless box outs. And he forced a couple TO's.

To finish, JJ is ineffective with our current PG's. They dont look for him. JJ's best defense will be his offense. If you arent gonna get Redick the ball then dont play him. It makes no sense. He is best at gettin open in defensive breakdowns and transistion. But we didnt find him last night when he was open. And JJ did force some shots last night which is prolly just him thinking " I am finally playing, so I am gunning." JJ did score alot in preseason playing against other teams starters.

On your other point, I would have never kept JJ if the Magic had a chance to get someone who could make a difference down the stretch. JJ would of been long gone.

I think this was SVG making a point to us posters and all the folks on ESPN who say that JJ should be playing starter minutes: he's not quite ready, yet.

Of course, in JJ's defense, getting in for his first real minutes in, what? Months? Must have been a little surprising. Nerves?

Who knows?

Redick got beat on the dribble by Carney one time but Carney missed an easy layup. Then Carney got immediately pulled.

I saw the 76ers broadcast and they didnt show the Arroyo-SVG thing. What happened?

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

How can Mo Evans be part of last night's problem when he only played 9 minutes?

I was just thinking that too. I saw a lot of Bogans, not a lot of Mo. What happened? Did he get hurt or did he argue something with SVG. For JJ to get minutes over our starter Mo, something must have happened.

quote:
... The same Arroyo who got into a shouting match with SVG on the bench after Arroyo dribbled the ball the length of the court, refused to run the play that was caled and drove the bal directly into three defenders at the hoop that resulted in a fast break basket for Philly...

Yeah i notice that 2! what the hell happend there with Carlos?

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Anderson 4 President:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

How can Mo Evans be part of last night's problem when he only played 9 minutes?

I was just thinking that too. I saw a lot of Bogans, not a lot of Mo. What happened? Did he get hurt or did he argue something with SVG. For JJ to get minutes over our starter Mo, something must have happened.

Mo got torched early by Willie Greens start. My assumption is that when SVG put JJ in, he got Evans' minutes. Mo had a hard time early on Green so maybe it was just a take the night off thing.

It looked like Arroyo was just stubborn in trying to get his own shot off on consecutive offensive sequences and SVG got very upset. As I already explained, he tried yanking Arroyo out of the game without even getting Jameer to the scorers table to check in. That was kinda funny to watch. Jameer trying to get his warmups off as quickly as he could while looking back at SVG like "WTH! I haven't even checked in yet and you're screaming for me to get in the game."

Then once SVG called a timeout a few seconds later he laid into Arroyo back at the bench and Arroyo was giving it right back to him.

quote:
Originally posted by Y-Studios:

quote:
... The same Arroyo who got into a shouting match with SVG on the bench after Arroyo dribbled the ball the length of the court, refused to run the play that was caled and drove the bal directly into three defenders at the hoop that resulted in a fast break basket for Philly...

Yeah i notice that 2! what the hell happend there with Carlos?

Yeah he yanked Carlos early for something and CA started arguing back at him. I would think thats one of the reasons he doesnt play much now. His attitude sometimes gets him in trouble. It happened in Utah with Sloan. I understand his frustration but getting into it with the coach never endears you to him