Sign in to follow this  
lavell12

Josh McRoberts going Pro

I heard he was signing with JJ's agent, Arn Tellum and the ESPN think tank (aka Kornheiser, et al) don't know why he'd blow his chance to go back to school if the workouts don't go well. Most people think its because his mind is made up and has been since last year and that's why his mind wasn't on the game this season at Duke. I think he has a lot of natural talent, but my only concern with him is that he doesn't have JJ's gritty determination. I don't think anyone can compare him to someone like Darko yet. A better comparison would be Shelden Williams (except he'll get drafted much lower by coming out this year instead of last). He's going to have a tough hill to climb to make it in the pros. I don't question his talent, but I do question his mental toughness.

quote:
I heard he was signing with JJ's agent, Arn Tellum and the ESPN think tank (aka Kornheiser, et al) don't know why he'd blow his chance to go back to school if the workouts don't go well. Most people think its because his mind is made up and has been since last year and that's why his mind wasn't on the game this season at Duke. I think he has a lot of natural talent, but my only concern with him is that he doesn't have JJ's gritty determination. I don't think anyone can compare him to someone like Darko yet. A better comparison would be Shelden Williams (except he'll get drafted much lower by coming out this year instead of last). He's going to have a tough hill to climb to make it in the pros. I don't question his talent, but I do question his mental toughness.

It probably cause Durant and Oden will return to school and that its his only chance to go high in the draft.

quote:
Originally posted by LarryEtt:

Actually, a better comparison would be Shavlik Randolph. He made the 76ers roster last year after having about the same soft rep out of Duke.

Yeah, I'd agree with that comparison except that I think Shav busted his butt because he lacked talent, whereas I think Josh is complacent at times because he has the talent and expects his talent alone to carry him and it can't.

Silly man, he needs four years. To early, to early. Under Coach K he could have developed into an influential player.

Darko would take him to school. + McRoberts seems a bit of a marshmallow.

Darko can't make a two foot layup and Josh would dunk in Darko's face, JM has a lot more atheletsism then Darko and most PFs in the league. He is really a point forward not a center. Reminds me of Chris Webber because his great passing ability.

from a recent article.. josh's mother said that he hasn't signed with any agent yet and is waiting until the school year ends to sign with one. that means he can still return to duke. so right now we don't really know for sure if he'll go to the nba ..

here's the article:

quote:
March 23, 2007

After 2 seasons at Duke, Carmel's McRoberts going pro

By Jeff Rabjohns

jeff.rabjohns@indystarcom

March 23, 2007

Josh McRoberts doesn't plan to hire an agent until the end of the school year and hasn't completely ruled out a return to Duke, his mother said.McRoberts, a Duke sophomore and former star at Carmel High School, declared for the NBA draft Thursday.

By not hiring an agent, McRoberts leaves open the possibility of returning to Duke, but his mother, Jennifer McRoberts, said she doesn't expect that to happen.

"I think he's very comfortable with his decision, but you can't rule out anything at this point," she said.

A 6-10 forward, McRoberts is widely projected as a first-round selection. First-round draft picks receive a guaranteed three-year contract.

"I am extremely grateful for the opportunities that I have had here at Duke," McRoberts said in a statement issued by the school. "This was a difficult decision, but I feel it is the best one for me and my family."

The NBA draft is June 28, and players have until June 18 to withdraw if they decide to return to college.

"He just felt the timing was right," Jennifer McRoberts said. "We really didn't look at the draft projections. I think he looked at what is best for him at this point in time."

The only Carmel grad to play in either the NBA or ABA is 1968 Indianapolis Star Indiana Mr. Basketball Billy Shepherd, who played three years in the ABA.

"I think it's great," Shepherd said. "In fact I can't believe it hasn't really happened since then. It goes to show how difficult it really is to get to the next level."

McRoberts led the Blue Devils in rebounding (7.9), blocked shots (2.5) and field goal shooting (50.2 percent) and was second on the team in scoring (13.0) and assists (3.5).

you guys know nothing about Josh, he is very talented, he had a great last game with like 22 pts 12 rebs 3 ast. and 5 blocks, he made all ACC-defensive 1st team this year, hes only 1 of 2 players this year to average 13pts 8 or 9 rebs 3 ast. 2 stls. and 3blks per game, hes a better defender than darko, he can actually keep up with guys like dirk, hes not a dominate scorer but he does everything else really well, if your a team that doesnt need a scorer at PF or C that much than hes a perfect fit, like a younger and more athletic chris webber, he could fit on a run n' gun team like denver, phx,supersonics, philly, heck, maybe even a team like cleveland or wizards? He can develop just like the next guy can, lots of upside and hes a smart guy. He wouldnt fit in this boring, no tempo offense.

STUPID, STUPID move on his part. Somebody drew a parallel to Shav Randolph---that's exactly who I thought of when I heard McRoberts was turning pro. Now is way too early. He has a lot of improving to do before he's ready for the next level. He lacks mental toughness---bigtime. Think about how often you would see him cussing to himself, screaming in his towel, looking like a little boy crying while coach Wojo was trying to settle him down. He's soft...way too soft. Someone mentioned he scored 22 in his last game...do you realize this was his career high. Yes, he's athletic and can pass the ball but man, he has some work to do on his overall game. I'm still in disbelief over such an idiotic decision...Wow!!

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Devil #4:

STUPID, STUPID move on his part. Somebody drew a parallel to Shav Randolph---that's exactly who I thought of when I heard McRoberts was turning pro. Now is way too early. He has a lot of improving to do before he's ready for the next level. He lacks mental toughness---bigtime. Think about how often you would see him cussing to himself, screaming in his towel, looking like a little boy crying while coach Wojo was trying to settle him down. He's soft...way too soft. Someone mentioned he scored 22 in his last game...do you realize this was his career high. Yes, he's athletic and can pass the ball but man, he has some work to do on his overall game. I'm still in disbelief over such an idiotic decision...Wow!!

Thank you for this realistic and truthful opinion. That is the impression that I got from watching the guy also.

quote:
Originally posted by Osi:

you guys know nothing about Josh, he is very talented, he had a great last game with like 22 pts 12 rebs 3 ast. and 5 blocks, he made all ACC-defensive 1st team this year, hes only 1 of 2 players this year to average 13pts 8 or 9 rebs 3 ast. 2 stls. and 3blks per game, hes a better defender than darko, he can actually keep up with guys like dirk, hes not a dominate scorer but he does everything else really well, if your a team that doesnt need a scorer at PF or C that much than hes a perfect fit, like a younger and more athletic chris webber, he could fit on a run n' gun team like denver, phx,supersonics, philly, heck, maybe even a team like cleveland or wizards? He can develop just like the next guy can, lots of upside and hes a smart guy. He wouldnt fit in this boring, no tempo offense.

I know everything there is to know about McRoberts. I am a huge Duke fan and have seen almost every game that Josh has played. He is absolutely not ready for the NBA. He should stay in school and continue to develop.