Sign in to follow this  
ThisIsTheYear

Shaq talks Smack about new Arena.

There is no way I can see Shaq running this team, I mean could you imagine his press conferences:

Shaq: "I would like to say thank for coming to my conference. I would also like to announce the release of my third album, Who Shaq'ed the Sheriff."

Reporter: "Shaq what is going to be your first move?"

Shaq: "Well I would like to start off with me on the block waiting for the ball, then try to dunk on my opponent..... can you dig it!!!!!"

Reporter: "Shaq I was referring to running the team...."

Shaq: "Yeah I know.... next question"

Have you guys lost your minds? You would take Devos over Shaq? The past is the past, do you have any idea the kind of talent and respect this team would have is Shaq and, say, Grant Hill were co-owning in a new arena. Don't you realize that the reason The Kings shot 30 more free throws than us a few nights back was because we were playing in something called that Amway Arena that leaks in rainstorms and has an owner that is like a shawdowy mystic figure who doesn't seem to care if we in or lose. Shaq's an admiral of the NBA at this point.

Too many people here hold grudges against shaq. When he left I hated him with all of my heart. I got rid of my shaq jersey and all of my shaq cards(i was still somewhat young). I held this grudge for a very long time and it has taken us getting Dwight to realize what went down. Shaq deserved every penny he got and we didn't pay him. The magic disrespected him and so did the city of orlando. Anyone who looks back and can honestly say he didn't deserve the money he got is dead wrong. We should have payed him and I don't blame him for leaving.

With that being said i would love if shaq owned the magic. Players would love to play for shaq and we would always have media attention, which leads to bigger and better things (FA signings, more ticket sales, more national attention)

I thought it was Michael Jordan that lost his mind! Devos is probably the worst owner in the history of the NBA and you guys would rather he keeps the team instead of selling it to Shaq? Are you nuts? He left because he realized that he was a great player and we were gonna pay him poorly for his services! I would have left too!! However, he does love this city...why else would he have kept a house here? I would LOVE it if he owned the Magic! Besides the fact that he would probably higher better personnel (anyone remember Johnny Davis or John Weisbroad?) he also could probably talk any NBA star into signing with the Magic because of his popularity among the players. PLEASE, Shaq, BUY THE TEAM!!

You guys have short memories. Shaq left because he wanted to play for the Lakers. All we did (the Sentinel poll, etc.) was make it harder for him to look bad doing it.

We offered more guaranteed money than the Lakers. Our four year deal was bigger than the first four years of the Lakers deal (which he opted out of after 4, as planned.) I can't remember how many times I have posted this fact. Please, don't believe that we made him leave with his head hung low. Don't believe he left us for more money. It was LA, LA, all day.

And for myself, I didn't say anything about him not being a good owner, or him being worse than DeVos. If someone else buys the team and does a better job than DeVos, then "great!" I just don't want it to be Shaq.

As for me, Shaq can buy this team any time he wants.

Let's see, without Shaq how much success has this organization under DeVos had?

Shaq is a proven winner; DeVos is a proven loser (when it comes to the NBA).

Shaq is probably lousy at selling soap, but I can live with that.

It wouldn't guarantee success, but it would guarantee that the family that has been a complete failure as owners would be out of the picture.

A Shaq/GHill ownership group would create a brand new level of interest in the Orlando area again.

Who knows, Shaq might even bring in a coach that actually has experienced some success other than in grade school.

I know I'm supporting to have a new arena built for the Magic or someone rich persons going buy the team and move it else where..If Shaq owns the team, then he's going to work to make it a winning team, that'd be lovely..There was a lot of controversy going on when Shaq left Orlando, so who wouldnt find peace else where, but if he's a winner..He can build a Championship team 'cause he know what it takes being Champions on two different teams with two different styles of play. Shaq still shows Orlando a lot of Love because this is is home base.

Hell yes I'd take Shaq back as an owner.

This is hardly the first time he's "joked" about it, either. He's said more than once that he'd like to buy the team with Grant Hill.

I tend to agree with the above that I have things living in my toilet that would be better owners than Devos. Okay, they don't have as much money as his AmWay butt, but they probably know more about running a team...

Pfff...

quote:

If he is so fond of our town and team, why the hell did he leave in the first place? He wants to help us win a championship? Where was he in '97, '98, or '99, etc. when he could have helped us win one or three??

Because to the Magic organization it was more important to keep Brian Hill here than to keep Shaq. Where was the team's loyalty to him? The only organization dumb enough to act like they had too much pride to listen to his suggestions and then let him go.

I know Shaq has an ego, but in his position, I might have left too.

It's no wonder he sort of takes a cheap shot when he suggests that a new arena "might be at last a positive change for someone to get involved with the organization again"

I was (past tense) a big fan of Shaq as a plyer only, not as a person. BUT it's easy to see Shaq as an owner would fire Brian w/out any apologies and would help put this team back in the spotlight again. Flashbacks of the good 'ol days!