LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

I think a lot of people are forgetting that we have a lot of cap space to sign a few shooters to a 1 year contract.

After finally getting over the fact that Rob did not draft Exum, and believing that Gordon could actually be a very important key to this team's success, the only thing that still puzzles me is the Afflalo trade. It only makes sense for cap space, so I believe he has his eye on a specific shooter who will be wearing a Magic uniform when the season starts.

After finally getting over the fact that Rob did not draft Exum, and believing that Gordon could actually be a very important key to this team's success, the only thing that still puzzles me is the Afflalo trade. It only makes sense for cap space, so I believe he has his eye on a specific shooter who will be wearing a Magic uniform when the season starts.

My guess is we save most of the cap space until the deadline and pick up an expiring to keep some team from paying the luxury tax.....while picking up a first round pick

This teams identity and style of play should be fun to watch. Its looking like it will have a mix of every talent, with the "commonality" on the defensive end. Could see a lot of fast breaks due to the D, and I think the P&R on offense can be run buy any two guys on the floor, whichever match up favors it.

watch this Gordon high school highlight video. You'll thank me.

wow - that's hitting Diaw/Sabonis levels of court awareness and passing there. Granted, the competition isn't NBA, but looks good.

I could see us squeaking into the playoffs (and getting swept) this season: the east is bad, y'all. And why all the Jameer hate? I realize he's not Rose, but he's done great things for us, is a good leader, is a good locker room guy, is reliable, knows the game at all levels...

With all the Spurs references, Jameer reminds me a lot of Avery Johnson. Remember when Avery came off the bench and shepherded in the Parker era? That selflessness did a lot to set the tone for that team and still does (although having a dude like Duncan doesn't hurt).

• Upvote 1

Thank you Nyce, nyce find!

He's got a nice soft touch around the basket, doesn't shy away from contact, jumps out of the gym, seems to have great handles and passes really well for a big.

I like the pick. If we can teach him to make FTs and get a good jumper he'll be awesome!

The Magic are now really one star away from a title contending team in a few years as long as these guys pan out like I think they will

We are actually in really good shape. People are thinking short term and worrying about shooting. Makes sense, but thats a short term issue. You want to think long term to win in the NBA.

The real debate is who will the star be? Will it be a guy who comes in free agency? A draft pick in 2015? A player that comes out of nowhere on a team and Rob smells him out early and puts a trade together?

Elfrid Payton is going to be electric for us this year. I expect mistakes, bad shots and some gambling on D, but I also expect the fans to embrace this team. It's going to be a really energized team to watch compared to last year. Payton and Gordon on the court together are just going to be really fun to watch if you like guys with a lot of heart combined with high talent.

I found some website that looks like its run by a dungeon master called the pinstripe post or something, and its all these angry nerds railing on the draft pick. Its hilarious to read. These guys have no clue about the actual game of basketball and approach the sport like it is a turn based RPG.

Don't be like those guys because if you are, you will never understand what the Magic are trying to do. And the Magic know more about Metrics then any blog nerd out there.

I found some website that looks like its run by a dungeon master called the pinstripe post or something, and its all these angry nerds railing on the draft pick. Its hilarious to read. These guys have no clue about the actual game of basketball and approach the sport like it is a turn based RPG.

Don't be like those guys because if you are, you will never understand what the Magic are trying to do. And the Magic know more about Metrics then any blog nerd out there.

25g4ai0.png

wow - that's hitting Diaw/Sabonis levels of court awareness and passing there. Granted, the competition isn't NBA, but looks good.

I could see us squeaking into the playoffs (and getting swept) this season: the east is bad, y'all. And why all the Jameer hate? I realize he's not Rose, but he's done great things for us, is a good leader, is a good locker room guy, is reliable, knows the game at all levels...

With all the Spurs references, Jameer reminds me a lot of Avery Johnson. Remember when Avery came off the bench and shepherded in the Parker era? That selflessness did a lot to set the tone for that team and still does (although having a dude like Duncan doesn't hurt).

I've never understood the Jameer hate either.

Jameer is one of my favorite all time players, and one of the better players this franchise has seen. Jameer is a good player.

• Upvote 1

10 years ago we took a chance on a hyper athletic 18 year old and then traded back in to get our PG of the future...

Just a thought.

10 years ago, that hyper athletic 18 year old was considered by many to be the slam dunk #1 pick that year, and turned into hands down the best center in the league.

I have a feeling we're not dealing with the league's premiere power forward here in Gordon.

No thanks. I don't want to relive the final Dwight years again. Not worth the good ones, in my opinion.

Sure they are. That 2009 run to the Finals was magical (no pun intended) and one of the best times of my life as a sports fan.