LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Well, who would you prefer that I compare him to? Are there other PGs with elite athleticism and size, good instincts and work ethic, and a winner's mentality, who failed to be worth a top 5 pick.

You have to understand, the comparisons were there to refute the arguments you made. none of them were given in a vacuum. Take comparisons out of it, and still you are left with the understandings that 1) shot selection is coach-able and easily fixable, as nearly any player with poor shot selection gets better at that with better coaching (unless you want to use a comparison like Gilbert Arenas, which would be - so to say - out of the norm); 2) his shot mechanics are more to do with needing repetition and tweaking, per the articles and analysis about Smart specifically; 3) there is no real reason to question his emotional control, or call him reckless, beyond what is acceptable for a young, talented player who was on a struggling team; 4) he is considered by everyone (apparently except you) to be a very good passer with excellent instincts, and he does not, under any objective analysis, have any problem with turning it over too much.

Are you aware that Smart worked out twice for the Magic and they did not go as well as expected?

Are you aware that Smart worked out twice for the Magic and they did not go as well as expected?

Sounds like the team has Smart and Elfrid Payton on the same tier now after workouts with Vonleh in the top 4.

God I hope Henny doesn't gamble on Embid at 4....

Looks like if go with Vonleh we will need to make a deal to move up to 8 or 9 to grab Smart or Payton. I don't think either makes it to 12 anymore.

With Wiggins/Parker gone 1-2, what are the chances Philly goes Vonleh @ 3? they just worked him out yesterday. Then if that Lakers rumor is true, they can pick up Smart with #7.

With Wiggins/Parker gone 1-2, what are the chances Philly goes Vonleh @ 3? they just worked him out yesterday. Then if that Lakers rumor is true, they can pick up Smart with #7.

Vonleh would be a good match with Nerlen Noels for them and they would still have the 10 pick to get a SG like Harris or Staukas.

It would leave us Exum so I have no problem with it.

Honestly, coming out of the draft with Vonleh and either Payton or Ennis to run the point would be a pretty damn good scenario. We fill our two biggest positional needs in the starting lineup. We might not have "that guy" in the starting 5 that could just dominate with the ball. But, a Payton-Oladipo backcourt could be really good defensively and ultra-athletic to go along with a nice complimentary frontcourt in Vuc and Vonleh (the "Killer Vs"?). Vonleh would become that shotblocking presence to go along with Vuc's rebounding ability. Going forward, that "go to guy" slot would then be open at SF where either someone already here steps up (Afflalo or Harris?) or you start making plans to land that guy through trade or free agency.

I could definitely get excited about this sort of game plan.

Who's "that" guy in free agency? I don't see anyone in the next couple of years who's "that" guy.

Who's "that" guy in free agency? I don't see anyone in the next couple of years who's "that" guy.

I don't know but I'm pretty sure "that guy" at SF won't be available to us in this draft. However, the Magic have a chance to fill the PF and PG positions in this draft with players that can get us to a pretty strong starting 4 out of 5 positions. Whether or not a prolific scoring SF will be available to the Magic now or in the next couple of years may or may not occur. So, my analysis of feeling good about coming out of this draft with Vonleh and Payton remains the same.

If Oladipo and/or Payton can become high volume scorers, then the need for a high volume scoring SF will not be as great.

I don't know but I'm pretty sure "that guy" at SF won't be available to us in this draft. However, the Magic have a chance to fill the PF and PG positions in this draft with players that can get us to a pretty strong starting 4 out of 5 positions. Whether or not a prolific scoring SF will be available to the Magic now or in the next couple of years may or may not occur. So, my analysis of feeling good about coming out of this draft with Vonleh and Payton remains the same.

If Oladipo and/or Payton can become high volume scorers, then the need for a high volume scoring SF will not be as great.

I just don't see what some of yall see in Vonleh. I really don't. I think he's a Andrew Nicholson clone. Granted hes younger but I would say Nicholson is more advanced offensively where as some of Vonleh's moves are robotic and Nicholson doesn't look constipated when attempting to jump.

• Upvote 1

I am aware of that report. As I said earlier, if that's truth, and not misdirection, then I hope they don't draft him. But as I have no trusted source close to the situation, I'm skeptical. If Orlando really wants Smart, they could get him at 7. Utah won't take him. Neither will Boston. So if the Lakers are high on Exum or Vonleh, or if Utah or Boston is high on Vonleh, leaking information that they were underwhelmed with Smart and high on Exum and Vonleh might get one of those teams to trade.

What I have a hard time believing is that Orlando would let information like that get out otherwise. If you don't like Smart, why let anyone know that. General wisdom, which Hennigan and crew seem to follow well, is that you keep all of your draft cards held close to your chest, even the ones you don't intend to use. Early reports were that Embiid had a bad physical at Cleveland, then everyone said all was well. Now he has a broken foot. I don't trust reports like that implicitly. I'm not saying I know this is the case, or even that I believe it. What I'm saying is that such a report has no baring on my opinion because I have no idea where it REALLY comes from and why. I ignore that report as best as I can.

Therefore, to answer your question fully, I am AWARE that Smart worked out twice for the Magic. I have heard it REPORTED that those workouts did not go as well as expected. Until convinced of the validity of the report, my AWARENESS is limited to what I see and objective analysis from trusted sources.

I just don't see what some of yall see in Vonleh. I really don't. I think he's a Andrew Nicholson clone. Granted hes younger but I would say Nicholson is more advanced offensively where as some of Vonleh's moves are robotic and Nicholson doesn't look constipated when attempting to jump.

Vonleh and Nich have similar measurements, but if you look at the two, Noah appears much bigger. He actually bangs inside, and is a pretty underrated rebounder. His positioning in off-ball defense and general bball IQ concern me tho. I think when he starts to really fill out and develop his outside shot, he could be a great fit beside Vucevic.

ESPN's Jeff Goodman made these NBA Comps for Vonleh…

Noah Vonleh

High end: Chris Webber. Both are big, strong forwards who bring versatility to the table. Vonleh hasn't shown a ton of it yet, but he can step out and handle the ball and make shots. Webber averaged 20.7 points and 9.8 rebounds during his career.

Low end: Horace Grant. This is the comparison if Vonleh doesn't become much of a scorer. Grant was a terrific piece for a championship team and averaged 11.2 points and 8.1 rebounds in his career.

I'd take either one of those guys….

Chad Ford has consistently made the Chris Bosh comp….And in a an audio discussion with a Jazz commentator compared Vonleh to Karl Malone…An NBA Hall of Famer.

I've seen videos of Vonleh in game action shooting 3's with picture perfect form….Something Malone, Grant or Webber could not do.

Lastly, the kid is 18 years old….Younger than Exum….Is probably gonna get bigger….May be the youngest kid in the draft.

Not sure what some of you can't see….

• Upvote 2