LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Pass on Embiid

Absolutely. Trey pointed out that we have made great strides in medical procedures in the last 20 years, but not so much in regards to stress fractures in that foot bone, especially for a 7 foot tall basketball player who has to be able to run and jump. Cancer cures yes. Foot fractures on an athlete, no thanks.

Absolutely. Trey pointed out that we have made great strides in medical procedures in the last 20 years, but not so much in regards to stress fractures in that foot bone, especially for a 7 foot tall basketball player who has to be able to run and jump. Cancer cures yes. Foot fractures on an athlete, no thanks.

It's the worse bone to break too.

If this report actually came from the Cleveland doctors, why did it take so long to be reported? First we heard that the workout did not go so well, and later it was reported that his back checked out fine, but no mention of the stress fracture. If they were keeping it under wraps, who leaked this info a week later?

If this report actually came from the Cleveland doctors, why did it take so long to be reported? First we heard that the workout did not go so well, and later it was reported that his back checked out fine, but no mention of the stress fracture. If they were keeping it under wraps, who leaked this info a week later?

Maybe they leaked at this time of purpose to ***** with all the other teams heads with the draft so close

As of yesterday the Magic were choosing between Vonleh and Exum and would have been happy with either. So this really does not change much at all for us.

I assure you the Magic will be quite happy taking Vonleh at pick 4.

Honestly, coming out of the draft with Vonleh and either Payton or Ennis to run the point would be a pretty damn good scenario. We fill our two biggest positional needs in the starting lineup. We might not have "that guy" in the starting 5 that could just dominate with the ball. But, a Payton-Oladipo backcourt could be really good defensively and ultra-athletic to go along with a nice complimentary frontcourt in Vuc and Vonleh (the "Killer Vs"?). Vonleh would become that shotblocking presence to go along with Vuc's rebounding ability. Going forward, that "go to guy" slot would then be open at SF where either someone already here steps up (Afflalo or Harris?) or you start making plans to land that guy through trade or free agency.

I could definitely get excited about this sort of game plan.

I think this news screws things up most for top 3 teams, especially Philly getting Wiggins. They really need to give something up for him now

Cavs now shop this pick guaranteed!

Favors and #5

Or

Thad Young and #3

Who do u take?

Whaaaaaaaaa???

@ryenarussillo: More Embiid fallout. Lakers could move Nash and #6 to Philly for MCW and T Young. 76ers would take Exum at #3.

Whaaaaaaaaa???

@ryenarussillo: More Embiid fallout. Lakers could move Nash and #6 to Philly for MCW and T Young. 76ers would take Exum at #3.

There were rumors that the 76ers had considered trading MCW and drafting Exum. Not sure it will happen, but if it did then Exum is a decent option to replace him with. Then with #7 and #10 they could address other needs. Also, Nash could be a decent mentor for Exum for a season.

Decent deal for the Lakers too. They would need to add a PF and C in free agency, but they could have a competitive line up again if they stay healthy and click:

PG: MCW

SG: Kobe

SF: T Young

PF: Melo or LeBron?

C: Monroe or Gortat?

6th man: N Young

Not a bad line up for the Lakers.

Whaaaaaaaaa???

Philly could potentially have the following core to build around:

Exum (#3)

Stauskas (#10)

???

Noel

Embiid (#7

or

trade 3 & 10 for 1

Smart (#7)

Wiggins (#1)

Noel

:svgsad:

Ultimately I hope Rob is able to put us in position to grab two out of Parker/Exum/Smart/Randle. I believe we have the pieces to make that happen, and I believe that Rob is working on making that happen based on the AA rumor last night. I don't believe we tanked again this season, and would also be willing to give up AA, for anything less than acquiring two of the prospects I listed, Vonleh/Wiggins/Embiid included if Rob prefers those players instead. That most likely requires two picks in the top 7, I believe that's the goal and I also believe he'll pull it off.

I don't think we have a shot at Parker or Exum unless we also throw Tobias Harris into any deal that has us moving up in the draft.

great you isolate comparisons to smart that are against the norm

Well, who would you prefer that I compare him to? Are there other PGs with elite athleticism and size, good instincts and work ethic, and a winner's mentality, who failed to be worth a top 5 pick.

You have to understand, the comparisons were there to refute the arguments you made. none of them were given in a vacuum. Take comparisons out of it, and still you are left with the understandings that 1) shot selection is coach-able and easily fixable, as nearly any player with poor shot selection gets better at that with better coaching (unless you want to use a comparison like Gilbert Arenas, which would be - so to say - out of the norm); 2) his shot mechanics are more to do with needing repetition and tweaking, per the articles and analysis about Smart specifically; 3) there is no real reason to question his emotional control, or call him reckless, beyond what is acceptable for a young, talented player who was on a struggling team; 4) he is considered by everyone (apparently except you) to be a very good passer with excellent instincts, and he does not, under any objective analysis, have any problem with turning it over too much.

• Upvote 1