LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

If we're going for a PF, the guy that seems to be very legit with upside is Saric, plain and simple. On talent, he seems to be the number five guy behind the big four. However, I want one of the big four ;).

I would agree and say it is far less risky to select a guard (Exum or Smart) and pair them with Vic and immediately have our back court set. If you take Vonleh or Gordon, to me, you are taking more of a risk. That's not to say it may not be a risk worth taking.

On the contrary, you could say that we could still find a good PG prospect at 12 (Ennis, Lavine, Payton). But I do not think you can say the same about the PF position because after Vonleh, Randle and Gordon it really becomes slim pickens.

• Upvote 1

If we're going for a PF, the guy that seems to be very legit with upside is Saric, plain and simple. On talent, he seems to be the number five guy behind the big four.

He's intriguing, but he does have his short falls. He's not got a high defensively ceiling. He's not athletic enough to guard SFs, and he's not got the length to guard some of the bigger PFs. So he could struggle on the defensive side to guard SFs and PFS. Offensively he has a decent skill set, but again his lack of athleticism means he's going to have to develop other facets to his game to make an impact.

I don't disagree with the notion that he is a talented player with decent upside. As a draft and stash option it is intriguing, but as a rebuilding team with a hole at PG and PF, can we afford to draft such a player that won't come in and make an immediate impact?

As a draft and stash option it is intriguing, but as a rebuilding team with a hole at PG and PF, can we afford to draft such a player that won't come in and make an immediate impact?

I think he's the most ready player to contribute immediately. Are we talking about the same player?

From Ford yesterday:

Strip all that away however and many NBA GMs regard Saric as the player with the highest basketball IQ of anyone in the draft. He sees the floor and plays the game like a 6-foot-10 point guard. He's had extensive experience and production for a player his age. He won the Adriatic League Finals MVP this year and has had success in places like the Nike Hoop Summit and Under-19 Championships.

Saric's greatest skill is his passing and ballhandling ability -- both of which are elite for a player his size. He also has proved to be a terrific rebounder and can be an aggressive scorer when called upon. Even his jump shot, once considered his biggest liability, has improved. He's a unique prospect who could help many teams right now. (I doubt any of the players on our Big Board could produce in the Adriatic League the way Saric has this year.)

http://insider.espn....draft-prospects

So glad the draft is in sight, over all this speculation and articles made up by authors based on there opinion and not facts.

http://www.nj.com/sixers/index.ssf/2014/06/2014_nba_mock_draft_sixers_pass_on_jabari_parker_for_noah_vonleh.html

Here's an interesting one. The 76ers pass on Jabari Parker in favor of Noah Vonleh. Let's say for arguments sake that the first three off the board are Embiid, Wiggins and Vonleh. Who do you take at #4, Parker or Exum?

Take Parker with #4, trade him to Utah for #5 and #23 and whatever else you can squeeze them for; then take Exum with #5

He's intriguing, but he does have his short falls. He's not got a high defensively ceiling. He's not athletic enough to guard SFs, and he's not got the length to guard some of the bigger PFs. So he could struggle on the defensive side to guard SFs and PFS. Offensively he has a decent skill set, but again his lack of athleticism means he's going to have to develop other facets to his game to make an impact.

I don't disagree with the notion that he is a talented player with decent upside. As a draft and stash option it is intriguing, but as a rebuilding team with a hole at PG and PF, can we afford to draft such a player that won't come in and make an immediate impact?

If you are thinking like this, you don't want Vonleh at 4.

He is a project pick, and is not yet NBA ready.

Take Parker with #4, trade him to Utah for #5 and #23 and whatever else you can squeeze them for; then take Exum with #5

That would be great, but I don't know if we would have the balls to do that

If you are thinking like this, you don't want Vonleh at 4.

He is a project pick, and is not yet NBA ready.

Fair point. But Vonleh would slot in immediately, whereas Saric might not come to the league for a season or two. So can we afford a draft and stash at this time? Or do we need to draft a player that can contribute immediately?

I don't dispute Saric's talent, but I'd rather draft a player that we can start and develop straight away.

The Sixers really want Wiggins or Embid so it wouldn't surprise me to reach for Vonleh and ensure another year of tanking to next years draft.

I take Parker if he is there. We really don't need the 23rd pick with so many young players on the roster already and we already have the 12 pick to get either Payton or Ennis for PG depth.

Dipo/AA/Parker/Vuch/Harris is a nice starting line up with Jameer/Payton?/Oquinn/Harkless off the bench.

Parker can easily initiate the offense to take pressure off Dipo doing it full time as a PG. Elfrid Payton off the bench could be amazing with D, high energy and ability to score in transition.

WOW !!!....Ford shifting gears here....

Noah VonlehOrlando Magic (23 - 59)COLLEGE: IndianaHT: 6-10WT: 247POS: PF

We've consistently had the Magic taking a point guard at No. 4. They've been high on both Exum and Marcus Smart all year. Smart already has come in for a workout, and Exum is scheduled to arrive next week for his. But the Magic might end up opting to go another route.

The team really needs a power forward and Vonleh looks like a great fit next to Nikola Vucevic on the front line. His shot blocking on the defensive end plus his ability to stretch the floor on the other end is a perfect complement to Vucevic. with the several interesting point guards likely to be available at No. 12, the Magic might be able to get the best of both worlds.

• Upvote 1