LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Otto Porter was supposed to be a safe pick last year, look how well he did

I said that exact thing in my post you quoted haha

• Upvote 1

You guys remember when Junkie was somehow connecting with Orlando scouts, TMac, Dooling and others? Dude was a hungry fan!!! And the Garrity awards??? Glory days!!! We need that fandom to return!!!

LOL I will NEVER forget Junkie calling Spain to track down Fran

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Who cares? It's all about acquiring assets. We might trade Harris later for something else.

I was adamant about not liking the Redick/Harris trade when it happened. I have warmed up to it since because it was inevitable that Redick would go a playoff team. It was a nice haul in the sense that it showed us exactly how Hennigan operates in the big chair. That being said, I don't think Harris is quite the player some believe him to be and in order to get long term equal value for Redick in a vacuum (were he not to leave) he will have to have a full season of consistent play. As of today, Redick is the better player still. I do believe he is an asset more than a long term piece though.

Maybe I've watched one to many draft workout videos but I really think Aaron Gordon is going to be someone we look back at and say damn we could have this kid.

It was a bad argument then and still is now. Otto Porter will probably turn things around, he was a rookie after all and only averaged 8mpg. What can be done in 8 spotty minutes per game? He could still end up being one of the better players of a rather terrible draft class. You cannot judge a player that got the SVG treatment on a team that was racing toward the playoffs. Perspective still lacking...

Maybe I've watched one to many draft workout videos but I really think Aaron Gordon is going to be someone we look back at and say damn we could have this kid.

Possibly, if he develops a consistent 12-15 ft jumper he could be very good. His athleticism is off the charts and his passing is pretty underrated IMO.

On the flip side of that, a lot of people were calling Oladipo the safest pick in the draft and that looks like its going to work out for us.

when it comes to smart, all you hear about as strengths are "size/strength/motor" nothing about basketball SKILL, He doesn't seem to be that skilled of a player and that worries me

I feel you're under valuing Smart to be honest. He has a very high basketball IQ, a pretty good passer, and a underrated athlete and decision making. His shooting to me is his only true weakness. I do think it'd do him some good if he got a little more leaner. He's not fat by any means but he'd be much more quicker if he dropped down to about 215. Smart was listed at 228 at the combine.

ESPN.com's Chad Ford released his updated 2014 NBA Draft Big Board on Wednesday and one team may have given a promise to a European prospect.

Ford writes: "A few weeks ago it seemed unlikely that PF Kristaps Porzingis would keep his name in the draft. The 18-year-old Latvian was projected as a potential top-10 pick next year. But sources now say Porzingis has received a promise from the Oklahoma City Thunder to draft him in the first round. There's no way he'll be around at 29, so the Thunder's pick at No. 21 is the target. The question is whether that will be high enough to get him. Porzingis going in the late lottery to mid-first round is no longer a pipe dream for this skilled 7-footer with tremendous upside. With so many teams carrying multiple first-round picks, his range starts with the Magic at No. 12. Plus, the Suns at No. 14, the Bulls at Nos. 16 or 19, and now likely ends with the Thunder at 21."

Teams always deny making promises, but it's done at least once each draft, so this news from Ford is not a surprise. Porzingis will be stashed in Europe by any team that selects him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/post?id=26903

Porzingis is extremely athletic for a player his size. He runs the floor well, is very mobile, and plays above the rim with ease. His big, long strides allow him to cover a huge amount of ground, as you often see him running stride for stride with players much smaller than him, which helps him as a rim-runner in transition and defensively on the pick and roll.

Porzingis shows intriguing versatility offensively, as he has a unique skill-set that allows him to operate comfortably facing the basket. He has good shooting mechanics and range that extends out to the 3-point line, even if he is not a consistent shooter at this point in time. He's also a good ball-handler, being capable of taking his man off the dribble with either hand from the high post or beyond the 3-point line.

Additionally, Porzingis has soft hands that make him an excellent target for lobs when accounting for his quickness, length and ability to play above the rim. He has good touch around the basket with either hand, and can hit turnaround and fadeaway jumpers from the post impressively.

Besides the potential he shows as an athletic “stretch four,” Porzinigis also possesses another coveted attribute in his shot-blocking ability. The 6.6 blocks he averaged per-40 minutes this past summer at the U18 European Championship is the highest rate of any player in our database since 2012 by a wide margin. His 2.9 blocks per-40 is also the third best rate in the past fifteen seasons in Spain among players under the age of 20 (better than what current NBA per-minute shot-blocking leader Serge Ibaka averaged at the same age for example).

Porzingis' length, mobility and instincts give him great potential in general on this end of the floor. Despite his size, he has no problem covering most power forwards on the perimeter, as he does an excellent job of staying in front thanks to his terrific lateral quickness, and uses his length to contest shots effectively. He is also very adept at hedging screens well beyond the 3-point line, still being able to recover quickly enough to make a play at the rim, as he understands the concept of verticality quite well. Additionally, he uses his quickness to get in the passing lanes prolifically, averaging 1.7 steals per-40 minutes.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz33n5q7UUy'>http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz33n5q7UUy

http://www.draftexpress.com

Smart has the fastest agility time. Even beat westbrook. I have to say that is pretty impressive for a guy his size. Doesn't surprise me that Hennigan has been so intrigued.

Another real interesting thing about Smart - his college stats :

Marcus Smart - 18.0 PPG 5.9 RPG 4.8 APG

Russell Westbrook - 12.7 PPG 3.9 RPG 4.7 APG

Derrick Rose - 14.9 PPG 4.5 RPG 4.7 APG

The RPG stat is crazy.

the steal rate, the rebounding, and ability to draw fouls are very interesting, the advanced metrics DO like him alot which is probably why we're researching him so closely to see if the skills matchup and will translate

Ability to draw fouls at such a high rate is a huge skill that a lot of NBA players don't have. Smart basically has CP3's personality, he's an enormous ******* who'll do anything (such as relentless flopping) to win.