Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

*Gulp* Adonal Foyle released. Should we...get...him?

i would rather have evans.

foyle gets injuryed to much. he does have size and shot blocking. but will he be there to play. 1mil player but we still need a player that we can count on. Foyle will be someone that we could get and wait tell next year to make a real move for a future pf. but foyle is risky. get evans and we have some one, at the right price, that fits most of our needs. foyle 30+ evans 27.

we could get them both.

but is foyle worth it?

Obviously Evans is better because of his youth and at least the appearance of an offensive game.

But Foyle would be very suitable and would be cheap. I think it would be a great grab if we could get him.

The only thing I know about the guy is that he was instrumental in helping Golden State beat Orlando in O-Town Steve Francis last year.

Weren't the Magic and Otis interested in signing him one summer? Then, if I remember correctly the Warriors threw a lot of money at him and he re-upped.

I'm just speculating, somebody with more knowledge of the situation please clarify things.

Anyway, not sure how much he's got in the tank but it makes me feel good seeing players wanting to play for the Magic!

quote:
The 32-year-old Foyle appeared to have interest in joining the "Orlando Magic", which would be much closer to his homeland of tiny Canouan, in the cluster of Caribbean islands called St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

I wouldn't be surprised at all, we almost signed him with the MLE we used for Hedo.

Foyle would make a really good impact to our frontcourt, IMO.

edit: Foyle, not Fortson. lol

I would assume Otis and Foyle have a good relationship since they were at GS together. I don't know much about him or his game to comment whether or not I'd like him on our team.

Also, if we do get Foyle, how will this affect the Reggie Evans rumor; or any other signings/trades?

I would expect that his use would be to fill out the 15-man roster, and that he would not dress unless we had injuries on the front line.

You know. The role that Garrity should have held most of last year (and finally did toward the end of the season).

Those are big shoes to fill. Good dress shoes in those sizes are hard to find.

Foyle has not gotten much playing time at all, and we know he can play motivated unlike Darko... who seems to be lethargic at times.

quote:
The Orlando Magic may have set their sights on veteran center Adonal Foyle, who became a free agent Monday when he accepted a contractual buyout from the Golden State Warriors.

Foyle, 32, is an experienced center/forward who could fill the void -- at least defensively -- that was created when Darko Milicic left as a free agent for the Memphis Grizzlies.

The Magic have been talking to the agents of several potential front-court players, but they had been waiting to see what other veterans became available.

Because they have only the veteran's minimum to offer under salary cap rules, their choices have been limited mostly to journeymen past their primes or underachieving younger players.

Foyle, who played his entire 10-year career with the Warriors, was due to make $8.9 million this season and $9.7 million next season. He accepted slightly less from Golden State to become a free agent. He now can sign with any other team in the league, knowing he already will be well paid.

The Magic will be able to pay him $1.2 million as a 10-year veteran, adding to his salary from the Warriors.

Although still an effective defensive center, he didn't fit into the uptempo helter-skelter style that was so effective for the Warriors during the playoffs under Coach Don Nelson. In his career, his offensive skills never really developed.

The Magic could use him as a third big man either behind center Dwight Howard, or even alongside him, allowing Howard to concentrate more on the offensive end. In his career, Foyle has averaged 1.78 blocks while playing limited minutes many years.

The Magic attempted to sign Foyle as a free agent three years ago, but he received a considerably larger contract from the Warriors to stay with Golden State.

He originally was the No. 8 pick of the 1997 draft from Colgate.

Magic General Manager Otis Smith declined to comment on the Foyle's availability, but one NBA executive with another team confirmed the Magic's interest. Also expected to show considerable interest are the Boston Celtics, who also lack depth in their front court.

Foyle played in only 48 games last season, averaging 10 minutes, 2.2 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.04 blocks, never figuring in the system used by Nelson.

He is the Warriors' all-time leader in blocked shots (1,140), ranking fifth in offensive rebounds (1,221), sixth in defensive rebounds (1,221) and seventh in games played (641).

Smith was an executive earlier in his career with the Warriors, and the two have stayed connected. Foyle also has been close to Clifford Ray, who works as an assistant with the Celtics.

The Magic also had been in contact with more highly-touted free agents like Chris Webber and P.J. Brown, but both are expected to command a higher salary than what Orlando can pay under the salary cap restraints.

Also still available among free agents are power forward Brian Skinner (Milwaukee), center Marc Jackson (New Orleans), center/forward Vitaly Potapenko (Sacramento) and center Jake Tsakalidis (Houston).

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...ug14,0,5534007.story