Sign in to follow this  
Emory889

The Official VC to Orlando thread. ~merged~

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_Magic:

Oh snap, I just re-read that and saw JJ in there, mmmmmm that is a tough one, I think that could come back to hurt us in the future.....

they better not trade JJ

1) I do not want to see J.J. Redick traded. Not because I see him as a future star, but because I see him as a great complimentary player to Dwight and Darko.

The fact he has the offensive ability to have plays run for him and is a threat to drop 20-30 on any given night simply makes him a great role player, not a potential star IMO.

That's not to say he couldn't develop into a consistent 20+ scorer in this league ala Micheal Redd or a less athletic Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, or Reggie Miller. But, worst case, he's shown me he'll be a solid role player capable of big nights, and that's what good, championship caliber role players provide.

Unlike 90% of college "scorers", Redick shows the mentality to accept a role, and play within not only the offense, but an offense focused around other players.

I truly believe Redick is capable of excelling in a role as the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or even 5th offensive option on the floor. That's an indication of a true team player and a very unique quality.

2) The idea of adding Vince AND keeping Grant Hill is very intriguing. I believe the two would compliment each other extremely well even if for only a maximum of 1 2/5 seasons. The 2 are interchangable defensively, Hill would draw the toughest matchup, protecting the offensive minded VC. In addition, VC would draw the better defender, making life easier on the offensive end for the aging Hill.

3) IF there is any merit to these talks, I would certainly rather give up JJ than Darko, I would rather give up JJ than Ariza (although it's very close), but I'm not sure I would rather give up JJ to get VC now. I wouldn't complain, but I would have mixed feelings. I would understand, but part of me wouldn't like it.

4) Is a bird in the hand worth KG in the bush???

IMO, NO!!! Realistically, yes. If KG leaves Minnesota, LA appears a far more likely destination, and I'm not sure Otis would even make a serious run at KG. Although, I sure would!!!

5) The million dollar question is how good can this team be this season with VC? Ei, is it really worth making the move now?

If VC to Orlando is inevitable as I believe, the answer is a resounding YES!!!

VC's presence would energize this team. Without losing Hill, the Magic become very dangerous in the Eastern Conference playoffs THIS SEASON. He's the one on one player and go to scorer this team lacks. His presence opens up offense for EVERY other player on the floor and likely leads to this team running more.

If the Magic add VC this season and keep Hill, it would be very disappointing if this team doesn't get into the 2nd round and gives them the capability of beating any team in the East. I'm not making bold predictions and I'm not ready to call us a contender. I'm simply saying this team becomes very dangerous. Of course, this assumes G. Hill is healthy.

IMHO, a healthy Richard Jefferson is better for the long term plans of this organization. But, at this point, I'm not sure Jefferson has a healthier 4-5 years in front of him than VC.

quote:
Originally posted by A Teen but with experience:

sorry to be such a noob (rookie) but what do you mean by fran? is it a draft pick

Good question Teen,

"Fran" refers to Fran Vasquez, our unsigned Spanish draft pick to which we still have rights.

quote:
As long as Carlos continues to dribble 20 times before throwing the ball into the fifth row, I reserve the right to make fun of him. ;-)
Sky, this is a biased comment, back up your comments with stats(turnovers, total points done and assists) or just show your ignorance.

I would do this trade.

Although personally.. I dunno. I think J.J. just has "it." He has that competitive edge to keep him driven, keep him improving. If I could choose, I'd rather let Diener go than J.J.

I hate to say it, but letting Hedo go while his stock is still somewhat high is a stroke of genius. Dooling's contract's up soon, Fran'll never do anything here, so the only question is J.J.

For giving all this up, I'd hope we could get Jason Collins as well as Vince Carter, but yeah, I'd pull the trigger on this.

The whole point of everything we've heard is that Vince is in the bag if we wait until summer. So essentially we are trading for a free agent who has already committed to playing for us. For those who claim we can't sign both Darko and Vince I've seen enough to indicate the magic could make more moves to clear space and that the Magic would be wiling to pay some luxury tax. Thats why Otis can be laid back. I see nothing that indicates he has any fear of not signing Darko or Vince in the offseason.

Wanting to keep players with potential is neither idiotic or lunacy unless those throwing it around don't know how to use a dictionary. You CAN be civil and disagree. We all want the Magic to win not one championship but multiple. the goal of every organization is to build a dynasty. If I am forced to use the word lunacy then I would apply it to those who believe that if you have Vince on the team with Dwight the championship is in the bag. I'd also apply it to those who try to make arguments on the basis of Hill or his playing time. I love the class of Grant but I have to believe even he knows his time is just about up.

In short it isn't a matter or trading Carter for JJ or aziza or anyone else. Its a false choice otherwise known as a strawman argument.

quote:
Originally posted by O-dub:

These are the key people you should not make fun of: Trevor Ariza, Jameer Nelson, Carlos Arroyo, J.J. Redick, and Darko Milicic.

As long as Carlos continues to dribble 20 times before throwing the ball into the fifth row, I reserve the right to make fun of him. ;-)

quote:
Originally posted by SladeRider:
Originally posted by God hates Magic fans:

-As I said before, it will allow us to have both VC AND Darko long term.

This is reason enough for the trade to take place, if it doesn't and Orlando get VC in the summer, it may effect Darko signing long term.

Agree, I look at it as losing JJ but gaining Darko and Vince Carter, I think that is worth JJ Redick IMO. Realistically I expect nothing to happen, if Otis is smart enough to have the foresight to see this(being able to keep darko and have vince, sort've like having your cake and eating it) he's one of the elite GM's in the league..we'll see..

Let's see...the UCONN Twins and JJ Redick! A young, energetic trio playing for the Nets and kicking butt against a tired group of Senior Citizens in the Orlando Magic. No brainer! I love the Magic but this move will come back to haunt them.

Originally posted by God hates Magic fans:

-As I said before, it will allow us to have both VC AND Darko long term.

This is reason enough for the trade to take place, if it doesn't and Orlando get VC in the summer, it may effect Darko signing long term.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Various media outlets are talking about the possible trades and blow-up of the New Jersey Nets. If you guys can make heads or tails out of all this and try to figure out what is gonna happen you are a better man than me!(lol) Anyway, here is all the latest from the media:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/20/sports/basketball/20nets.html?ref=sports

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/499031p-420724c.html

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-sppow2051...coll=ny-sports-print

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-...146140890.xml&coll=1

Frankly, I can't wait till Thursday at 3:00 PM cause my eyes are turning red and my brain is getting frazzled from trying to figure all this stuff out!

Good luck trying! (lol)

I will say this though, I find it very odd that our local media has hardly even hinted of all this gossip. Anybody else find that odd?