Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

I mentioned earlier that the Magic were apparently bringing in ANgelo Sharpless for a workout. At the time I knew absolutely nothing about him and had never heard of him so I did a little looking.

He's a SF from Elizabeth City State University (a D2 school), he's won a lot of awards this year for his play (http://www.ecsuvikings.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041213aaa.html)

And a quick search in google brings up this gem of a highlight (poor quality but worth it):

I mentioned earlier that the Magic were apparently bringing in ANgelo Sharpless for a workout. At the time I knew absolutely nothing about him and had never heard of him so I did a little looking.

He's a SF from Elizabeth City State University (a D2 school), he's won a lot of awards this year for his play (http://www.ecsuvikings.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041213aaa.html)

And a quick search in google brings up this gem of a highlight (poor quality but worth it):

I watched this earlier today and it's SICK

No, I like Burke just fine. To some degree, I like everyone I named.

At very least, he'll be a solid player in the league. But at #2, I'm looking for him to be better than that. My only question about him is how effectively his strengths (shooting, passing, handling) will translate to the NBA.

This is a very good question that I also want to see.

Burke has been training at the nba level for 5 years. Hopefully, all his drills and work will pay off at the next level. College and the pro is night and day; grown men vs boys, increased games, speed and size are all factors. One thing to remember, with pgs, there is even more room to work on offense than the college game; once the game slows down and players adjust to the size and speed of players. There is less zoning, no hand checks and normally a secondary ball handler to crack presses.

I might be a little biased because Rondo has been my favorite PG for several years now, and Dennis Schroeder gets a lot of Rondo comparisons, that's why I want him so much.

Maybe I'm naive, but I will instantly be a believer in whoever Rob picks. For instance: I'm not at all excited by Porter, Burke and Oladipo could both be seriously underwhelming, and BMac is a risk/reward. All that said, my opinions of these players would almost instantly change if we draft them- not because they would then be Magic players, but because I trust our FO that much to make good evaluations.

This is my take, too. All the top guys have strengths and question marks. Whichever one we end up with will be a good player, but probably not a perennial all star.

This is where your logic is flawed. We are not in a position to draft for need. This isnt the nfl. Talent trumps need 99.999999999% of the time in the nba draft. Unless your the Miami Heat, 1995 Bulls or 2001 Lakers do you ever draft for need. That why some teams end up with Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan. Just saying.

You draft for talent if the 'talent' is actually talented. I'm hoping we get Andrew Wiggins next year despite the fact we'll have at least 2 young, promising small fowards already on the roster with Harkless and Harris.

My point was that McLemore is not good enough to be taken at his projected position because wings who can't dribble at all don't become stars in the NBA. Coupled with his poor motor and his tendency to shrink when things get difficult it's hard to imagine him being good enough to overcome his limitations.

• Upvote 1

You draft for talent if the 'talent' is actually talented. I'm hoping we get Andrew Wiggins next year despite the fact we'll have at least 2 young, promising small fowards already on the roster with Harkless and Harris.

My point was that McLemore is not good enough to be taken at his projected position because wings who can't dribble at all don't become stars in the NBA. Coupled with his poor motor and his tendency to shrink when things get difficult it's hard to imagine him being good enough to overcome his limitations.

Agreed. I dont see him making an effective impact. I see burke and Victor as impact players. I also see them as the hardest working of the bunch. This work effort is what came improve there effectiveness in the future; like JJ.

If Ben was as bad as somehow people here make out, he would not be considered to be the most talented player in the draft by guys like Bilas who spend all of their time watching college players. Scouts and GMs also all have him top 2.

That being said he has to work on his handle, especially his left hand. But the thing is that he CAN do that. It is really not crazy to think he will not develop those skills. If Earl Clark can learn to reliably hit a mid range J, JJ Redick learned to play rather effective D and Ariza could develop a 3 ball, I think Ben can develop his left hand and create more off the dribble.

• Upvote 1

Believe me, I want to stay away from McLemore, I've said it many times. I won't keep repeating myself too much because :

1) We'll only know if I'm right some months or years from now

2) It may upset people that have a different opinion

This is how I feel about Burke :) But that's the whole point of this, we all think we know what and who is best for the team but the reality is most of us will be wrong lol. At the end of the day were all Magic fans and I think as long as the player we select doesn't bust we'll all be happy and support the pick.

It's like I've said all a long, I don't like Burke at all and think he will be an average at best PG, but if we do draft him I would love to eat my words. That's something I'm fine being wrong about. I would never hope Burke plays bad just to say I was right.

This is how I feel about Burke :)/> But that's the whole point of this, we all think we know what and who is best for the team but the reality is most of us will be wrong lol. At the end of the day were all Magic fans and I think as long as the player we select doesn't bust we'll all be happy and support the pick.

It's like I've said all a long, I don't like Burke at all and think he will be an average at best PG, but if we do draft him I would love to eat my words. That's something I'm fine being wrong about. I would never hope Burke plays bad just to say I was right.

True. I don't want Burke by himself either, if we get Burke I want it to be with the #5 pick (trading with Phoenix) and they'd also give us the #30 for us to pick the best SG available, maybe Hardaway Jr.

I also think that Schroeder may become the best PG in this draft eventually. My favorite outcome would be Schroeder + someone else

True. I don't want Burke by himself either, if we get Burke I want it to be with the #5 pick (trading with Phoenix) and they'd also give us the #30 for us to pick the best SG available, maybe Hardaway Jr.

I also think that Schroeder may become the best PG in this draft eventually. My favorite outcome would be Schroeder + someone else

Dude I'm all over Schroeder. I've said all a long he will be a better PG than Burke 5 years from now when we look back on this draft. Burke is more ready to go now but I really think Schroeder has much higher ceiling and could really become a very good PG in this league.

• Upvote 1

I want Shabazz and Schroder some people will be mad at me for saying Shabazz he's he's going to be really good I think