Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

My top 3 is still Noel, Porter, and Oladipo.

I have said a dozen or so times that Orlando is in asset collection mode. They don’t have anything that is a game changer yet. They have a lot of nice pieces, but they don’t have the cornerstone guys. Noel would be another chip and a pretty promising one at that. The Magic are going to have to pay Nic Vucevic pretty soon and frankly he may need a huge check before it makes a lot of sense for Orlando to give it to him.

That said, at #2 Noel should be gone… I think Cleveland grabs him and trades him to the team that grabs Otto Porter for them at #3 or #4. If by chance Noel is there, that is a tough call… Orlando could do the same with Noel, draft him to trade him down the line.

I have tweeted about this all morning… Trey Burke is a nice player… that said there isn’t a lot of logic behind the hype. People love him because he plays hard and he’s a known name on a team that was solid this year — in the NBA he is a touch slow, isn’t a great a shooter and is small. I had a team at the Combine compare him to DJ Augustin, I had another say he wouldn’t start over Darren Collison.

Some one is going to draft Burke, because of what they “feel” about him, but I don’t think Orlando is that team, although they have the situation in which they can take a chance if they want to. I just don’t think that is where they are going to go.

Read more at http://www.hoopsworl...SIoiYPgbaIKF.99

something else to consider: Scott Lloyd, who had a big part in scouting Chicago's players in the past, likes guys that hustle, play hard, and contribute to winning. Oladipo screams like the type of player he'd advise Rob to take. Oladipo & Noel will be our decisions, with Victor winning. Then we'll trade back into the later picks of hope of getting a PG to groom.

Oladipo and McClemore are basically the same athletically. You can teach a guy to defend. Defense is mostly about effort and good team concepts.

I talked to some folks again last night to verify this Burke thing. I was literally laughed at when I said I heard a rumor Henny was in love with Burke. That's simply not true. The Magic have not made any permanent decision on who they are drafting at #2 at this point.

They do like Burke's heart and work ethic, but they LOVED only Smart. There is a reason..the new NBA is all about athleticism and Burke is average in that aspect. To take a guy like that at #2 is a huge stretch. So there is a chance they take Burke simply due to need at PG, but I believe it will involve a trade down.

How would you feel about picking Burke if Noel is there or Porter is there? Porter is close to a sure thing. He is projected to be similar to the level of Paul George. I'd like to have a Paul George regardless of having Harkless and Harris already. Those are good problems to have as all 3 of those guys could start together.

I would be sick to my stomach if we passed on Porter for Burke at #2. It would be a horrible mistake IMO. Porter will not fall past the Wiz. Hell, he may go #1.

I believe the Magic will try and trade some of their TPE for a pick and grab a PG prospect like Schroeder. Nothing has changed on that front, and I got that info and posted it weeks ago.They also are very interested in Dario Saric, the "European Magic Johnson". They have had a scout on him for months and so have the usual suspects - the thunder, The Spurs..etc. Saric is expected to go in the top 12. The Magic would probably take him or Schroeder if they can acquire a second pick.

Yes, Saric and Porter. There is a small % we could draft 2 SFs. Most likely it would be Ben Mac or Porter and Schroeder if a trade can happen. But if it was Saric,the Magic could then resign a cheaper backup PG and let Saric spend time proving himself as a PG in small amounts of minutes. That is IF he plays in the NBA next year.

• Upvote 2

Indiana took Paul George when they still had Granger, their top player at the time, still supplanted as their SF of the future. What if they went with someone that wasn't "redundant talent"? Gotta take best talent on the board.

Catman, any info on Oladipo and our interest in him?

Dario Saric, the "European Magic Johnson".

Whoever called Saric the European Magic Johnson is crazy. He's a 6'10 SF with above average handles, play making and vision. I think his ceiling is something like prime Hedo and unfortunately he can't guard a traffic cone. I like his upside though and I'm excited to hear that we are interested in either him or Schroeder.

So glad to hear what catman just said. I would love B-Mac then Schoeder. Glad the rumors aren't true about magic being in love with Burke but that goes without saying I think lol.

Lets not pretend that Harkless or Harris are becoming perennial all stars. The Magic just need talent period so if you feel Porter is the guy than draft him.

I talked to some folks again last night to verify this Burke thing. I was literally laughed at when I said I heard a rumor Henny was in love with Burke. That's simply not true. The Magic have not made any permanent decision on who they are drafting at #2 at this point.

They do like Burke's heart and work ethic, but they LOVED only Smart. There is a reason..the new NBA is all about athleticism and Burke is average in that aspect. To take a guy like that at #2 is a huge stretch. So there is a chance they take Burke simply due to need at PG, but I believe it will involve a trade down.

How would you feel about picking Burke if Noel is there or Porter is there? Porter is close to a sure thing. He is projected to be similar to the level of Paul George. I'd like to have a Paul George regardless of having Harkless and Harris already. Those are good problems to have as all 3 of those guys could start together.

I would be sick to my stomach if we passed on Porter for Burke at #2. It would be a horrible mistake IMO. Porter will not fall past the Wiz. Hell, he may go #1.

I believe the Magic will try and trade some of their TPE for a pick and grab a PG prospect like Schroeder. Nothing has changed on that front, and I got that info and posted it weeks ago.They also are very interested in Dario Saric, the "European Magic Johnson". They have had a scout on him for months and so have the usual suspects - the thunder, The Spurs..etc. Saric is expected to go in the top 12. The Magic would probably take him or Schroeder if they can acquire a second pick.

Yes, Saric and Porter. There is a small % we could draft 2 SFs. Most likely it would be Ben Mac or Porter and Schroeder if a trade can happen. But if it was Saric,the Magic could then resign a cheaper backup PG and let Saric spend time proving himself as a PG in small amounts of minutes. That is IF he plays in the NBA next year.

You have some very good connections if you're being told precisely who Hennigan is and isn't in love with (although everyone knew we loved Smart), as I have reason to believe I do as well. I agree that Burke at #2 is a stretch to say the least, which is why I speculated that we'd probably try and trade down to get him in the correct slot (Phoenix?). As for the bolded part, I guess that leaves the entire debate open for discussion. I trust my source...he broke the #2 pick to me at around pick 10 and I immediately posted it in the chat room on draft night. It's possible that was a guess...I mean it was one of only four options so that could be the case. Regardless, I'm just passing along what I was told...there's no agenda here. You've mentioned Porter a few times now. Is your source telling you Porter is the guy or is this simply your opinion? I'm just trying to get a feel (as we all are) as to what management is actually thinking because the consensus pick at #2 is McLemore. Thanks for sharing what you know.

1. I've read a bunch of people in here essentially saying "a need position" as if every position on this team isn't a need position. No one on the current roster is good enough to avoid being replaced or traded.

2. If Burke's potential is graded high enough, he could certainly get by on average athleticism. I'm not sure what he ceiling is, though. (Maybe the better version of George Hill?)

3. Nyce might just have a man crush on Oladipo.

4. I'm not going to pretend I have any idea what we're going to do.