Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

I feel the exact opposite. I feel like you can teach defense. See SVG 2006-2012. Offense and stroke are typically not things that improve much.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Offense can be improved, it just having a "want to" attitude. Look at players like Kawhi Leonard, DeMarr Derozan, and Paul George. All were looked at as great athletes with not much of an offensive game and now look at them. It takes a great work ethic and dedication to fine tune your offensive skills. Being from Fresno I got to see Paul George first hand and he did not look this good offensively playing at Fresno St. His 3 ball was a mess and all he did was score on athleticism. George has now turned into a fine player

I feel the exact opposite. I feel like you can teach defense. See SVG 2006-2012. Offense and stroke are typically not things that improve much.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Offense can be improved, it just having a "want to" attitude. Look at players like Kawhi Leonard, DeMarr Derozan, and Paul George. All were looked at as great athletes with not much of an offensive game and now look at them. It takes a great work ethic and dedication to fine tune your offensive skills. Being from Fresno I got to see Paul George first hand and he did not look this good offensively playing at Fresno St. His 3 ball was a mess and all he did was score on athleticism. George has now turned into a fine player.

JJ is a great example of hard work and shooting talent resulting in improved offense AND defense.

At this point we have to trust the front office.

Clearly they are not sold on Burke as the best pick at #2.

Why? Because Hennigan hasn't come out and flatly said "Burke will be our selection, you can all quit speculating now"? If Burke is our guy we likely won't be taking him at #2 regardless. Hell, we may be the team spreading all the Oladipo love as we speak

You can teach defense, the problem is when the player doesn´t want or care to learn. You can be the best teacher, but if the student doesn´t want to make the effort is pointless.

Individual defense is not good as team defense. The team defense win chamionships. Just see the Detroit Pistons, and they haven´t Lebron james or Michael Jordan.

Individual defense: Kobe Bryant, this season when he lost his man, and other teamate helps him on D, he won´t go for the other.

Team defense: San Antonio, last detroit pistons champions, some lapsus of the present miami heat, etc. team defense everybody helps each other. That doesn´t mean that you can´t have a shutdown defender, like for example bruce bowen.

I feel like oladipo has the best chance to be a successful nba player while mclemore has the best chance to be an all star.

I mean, mclemore is either going to be really good or a guy that we don't pick up the team option on his rookie deal because he's not worth the salary.

Oladipo is going to be a utility swingman who you throw at the other team's best scorer but I doubt he's ever going to be better than the 4th best player on a playoff team.

Decisions decisions...

That's how I see it, too. I mean, we're either getting a workhorse type guy or a gamble. On the gamble, we might get something amazing or we might get a bust. I go back to my earlier statement that despite all this speculation, I'm not going to look at this pick as make-or-break for the Magic. Whomever we end up with, I'm fine with.

Henny's already shown he's not Otis, so he won't trade the #2 pick for Derrick Fisher or something.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Offense can be improved, it just having a "want to" attitude. Look at players like Kawhi Leonard, DeMarr Derozan, and Paul George. All were looked at as great athletes with not much of an offensive game and now look at them. It takes a great work ethic and dedication to fine tune your offensive skills. Being from Fresno I got to see Paul George first hand and he did not look this good offensively playing at Fresno St. His 3 ball was a mess and all he did was score on athleticism. George has now turned into a fine player

My previous statement was probably too broad. I meant it is extremely tough to go from not scoring in college to becoming a good scorer in the NBA. The jump is difficult. You can certainly improve offense but there are very few who go from poor shooting in college to being a 18-25 ppg player in the NBA.

If its about athelticism than BMac wins there too.

Why do people believe BMac is so far superior athletically than Oladipo? Isn't Oladipo considered by all to be a super athlete as well?

And I'm on board with this, too.

I mean, the last time we had a major signing was when we managed to get a max-paid, completely injured Grant Hill and a max-paid roleplayer from Toronto. Yes, McGrady panned out in fantastic fashion, but that was luck: we were going after Tim Duncan and Grant Hill and when Timmy went back to SA, Orlando was in a panic to throw that money at ANYONE.

I'm hard-pressed to think of any huge offseason signings that were actually in our favor. Most of our big names have arrived here via draft or trade.

:shard:

• Upvote 1

I feel like oladipo has the best chance to be a successful nba player while mclemore has the best chance to be an all star.

I mean, mclemore is either going to be really good or a guy that we don't pick up the team option on his rookie deal because he's not worth the salary.

Oladipo is going to be a utility swingman who you throw at the other team's best scorer but I doubt he's ever going to be better than the 4th best player on a playoff team.

Decisions decisions...

The fourth best option on a playoff is exactly what he is. With McLemore's shooting, atletisiscm, and ability to play within an offense I don't see him with that low of a ceiling. When watching Oli play he doesn't have a feel for offense. Mostly he just dribbles into people. He'll make some highlight dunks and timely 3's. On a good season I could see him getting around 12 ppg. All these people are saying he had such a high shooting percentage need to apply some context. I need to see another season of it before believing.