Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Another interesting scenario that might be an option trading bbd and afflalo to OkC for their lottery pick, lamb, thabo and perkins. They own the raptors first pick if it goes past the first 3 spot. It might ended up been a 6-7 pick. We can select a combination of noels and burke( if available) and have lamb as our potentail sg down the road. Thabo is an expiring and perkins vs. BBD will be a lateral move SALARY wise.

Burke/jameer/moore

J-lamb/thabo/Dlamb

Mo/harris

Harris/Andrew/oquinn

Nic/perkins/oquinn

I expect hedo and harrington either traded for future picks or bought out of contract. Noel will be sidelined for the year to rehab..

This line up will give is a decent run for the first pick in 2014 and enough money to go after big free agents.

You can't bring Perkins to Orlando. BBD was pushing the envelope enough, Perkins is on the no fly list for us. I like the rest of the trade though but more I think something more likely could just be AA (they need 2 guard help) for their lottery pick. Maybe we steal Lamb somehow in that deal too but I would take their first strait up for AA. I don't see BBD fitting in OKC but AA make a good amount of since.

LOL at the high quality comment. I hope that was a joke because anyone who is that egotistical needs help, so I'll do you a favor and just assume you were attempting humor.

Harrison Barnes is a random example..Really?

He was accused of the same things you accused Ben of. How do you not see that?

Not sure what you define as a strawman argument, but when you say that Beal will "probably" better at something, you must have wandered away from your normal "high quality" posting ability. It appears as if you are suddenly trying to use big words to appear intelligent, which is awesome. Nice to see a little high brow in this place as opposed to some teen age kid typing K every post, but please refine your chops a little instead of trying to go big in one sentence. Maybe listen to some Miles Davis for examples of proper phrasing.

The facts are that Ben will most likely be a top 2 pick. As determined by scouts and GMs who do this for a living. Why? I already stated, he has a textbook stroke, and a high ceiling.

You accuse me of a strawman argument - I think, because you and others stated Ben was not great in the game you referenced. But I also already said that GMs and scouts don't throw a lot of stock into a draft either. So you need to study what a strawman argument actually is. I do appreciate the effort, but you are showing your lack of understanding of how the NBA draft works and inexperience in proper debate (as it seems you were attempting in your first sentence).

Players are now drafted due to what they are projected to become more than ever. It's not 1990 where we can see a Jr. or Sr. and have a great idea of what they are. This is a freshman athlete who has displayed the skills to hit a high % of 3s, be an open floor scorer and has really just scratched the surface of what he can do.

He also is highly coachable despite people bringing up character.

Look, I will say it again - we will not get a perennial all-star stud in this draft. It sucks..we all know it sucks. But a guy who can shoot this well and has a very high athletic ceiling directly fills a glaring need in our roster.

This is what you posted earlier on this page:

Do you really think is it not beneficial to have an elite shooter at SG? Do you really think a SG at 6'5 with a 6'7 wingspan can't shoot over defenders while playing SG?

Because I think McLemore is a lousy prospect you accused me of saying things I didn't argue in my original point, that's as clear an example of a strawman as there ever will be. I don't know why you're appealing to authority in citing how scouts and GMs project McLemore as a top 2 pick being a reason why I should like him as a prospect. Those same scouts and GMs also said Hasheem Thabeet was a Top 5 pick because he's 7'3" and can block shots. It's patently obvious by all the perplexing decisions we see on draft night how few NBA teams actually have good scouting and management.

Also you unsurprisingly missed my point in regards to McLemore's age. He's not a true freshman since he will be 20 years old heading into his first NBA season, he's already a year behind guys like Burke or Porter who have had the benefit of playing two full college seasons and have seen their games evolve. McLemore should be getting compared to similarly aged sophomores instead of true freshman. Age is the most important thing when evaluating how prospects develop, it's why Nerlens Noel is still a good number 1 pick even if his feel for the game is nonexistent and his footwork is garbage and why so many liked Marcus Smart even if his percentages were poor and he turned the ball over all the time. Drafting an 18 year old is way different from drafting a 20 year old.

And as I said earlier, I of course want a great shooter on the roster. But why waste a Top 5 pick on one when you can find someone like Danny Green in the 2nd round. Instead of Mclemore why not just get Reggie Bullock later in the draft.

You can't bring Perkins to Orlando. BBD was pushing the envelope enough, Perkins is on the no fly list for us. I like the rest of the trade though but more I think something more likely could just be AA (they need 2 guard help) for their lottery pick. Maybe we steal Lamb somehow in that deal too but I would take their first strait up for AA. I don't see BBD fitting in OKC but AA make a good amount of since.

I agree with you but the reason why perkins and BBD are involved in the trade is to make it sweeter for them so we can get Lamb in the deal. We can't just do afflalo for a pick deal as we have to take some salary back in order for this to work. We can do afflalo for thabo and their toronto first with the other part of the trade been BBD for perkins and lamb.

This is what you posted earlier on this page:

Because I think McLemore is a lousy prospect you accused me of saying things I didn't argue in my original point, that's as clear an example of a strawman as there ever will be. I don't know why you're appealing to authority in citing how scouts and GMs project McLemore as a top 2 pick being a reason why I should like him as a prospect. Those same scouts and GMs also said Hasheem Thabeet was a Top 5 pick because he's 7'3" and can block shots. It's patently obvious by all the perplexing decisions we see on draft night how few NBA teams actually have good scouting and management.

Also you unsurprisingly missed my point in regards to McLemore's age. He's not a true freshman since he will be 20 years old heading into his first NBA season, he's already a year behind guys like Burke or Porter who have had the benefit of playing two full college seasons and have seen their games evolve. McLemore should be getting compared to similarly aged sophomores instead of true freshman. Age is the most important thing when evaluating how prospects develop, it's why Nerlens Noel is still a good number 1 pick even if his feel for the game is nonexistent and his footwork is garbage and why so many liked Marcus Smart even if his percentages were poor and he turned the ball over all the time. Drafting an 18 year old is way different from drafting a 20 year old.

And as I said earlier, I of course want a great shooter on the roster. But why waste a Top 5 pick on one when you can find someone like Danny Green in the 2nd round. Instead of Mclemore why not just get Reggie Bullock later in the draft.

You brought his height up and insinuated Klay gets his shot off because he is 6'7. I responded that Ben has a very high wingspan - some estimate 6'9. I stay conservative at 6'7.

I am not appealing to authority. I am CITING it. There is a huge difference there. Once again - phrasing - work on it. You sound like you just took a creative writing class and are not sure how to use the knowledge you acquired.

Yes, Ben is 20. But he still has 1 year of college experience. I like that he is a little older honestly. But he still was a freshman - no?

I do not believe Ben is a waste of a top 5 pick. You do. We will not really get past this point until the draft happens, and we see the guy develop.

Would you like to bet on where he goes in the draft? Or is this whole thing a display of how your knowledge trumps the experience of scouts and GMs who get paid to do this for a living? Do you really think if Rob does take him, that rob does not know what he is doing?

Mac (US)

Who is rising up your big board the most right now?

Chad Ford (1:01 PM)

I think Trey Burke is still rising. Could go as high as the No. 1 pick. Lots of scenarios where he is No. 2 or No. 3 off the board. PGs are always coveted and Burke's spectacular season continues to intrigue people. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Dennis Schroeder also fast risers.

Chad Ford is chatting now.

http://espn.go.com/s...sider-chad-ford

So you watched a very small body of work from Ben then. Basically 3 games, one in which he put up 20 points and shot %50 from 3.

Realize that scouts do not put a ton of credence into the tournament results as well.

Yet you are posting very strong opinions based on an extremely small body of work.

You may as well start reading blogs at this point, it may help you out.

No disrespect, but I'm sick of reading people parroting info like they actually WATCHED a guy play a full season, and then they admit they watched him just play 3 times in a tournament and fire off all these strong opinions based on barely any info.

Harrison Barnes is a great example of why you can't think this way. I believe the Warriors building a strong core of youth should be exciting to see if you are a Magic fan.

And I assume you're going to tell us all you watched every Kansas game right?

And I assume you're going to tell us all you watched every Kansas game right?

I watched roughly 15 Kansas games this year once I heard about him.

I like to see someof the prospects instead of reading stat lines and repeating quotes from NBA draft sites.

Really enjoyed watching him play, so I made sure to watch as many of their games as I could. Same with Noel.

Relax.

To be honest I couldn't care less if we didn't draft any of the projected top 5. I'd be excited about them if we did obviously (because I have faith in Henny) but Schroeder... Damn I want that guy. Guy has a huge (HUGE!!!) wingspan and ridiculous speed and he can shoot. Attitude is an issue but I think our roster is full of hard working types and that could rub off on him. If not and he's a total ego-manaic he'd still be worth something in a trade to another team who thinks they can be the ones to cure his attitude problems.

To be honest I couldn't care less if we didn't draft any of the projected top 5. I'd be excited about them if we did obviously (because I have faith in Henny) but Schroeder... Damn I want that guy. Guy has a huge (HUGE!!!) wingspan and ridiculous speed and he can shoot. Attitude is an issue but I think our roster is full of hard working types and that could rub off on him. If not and he's a total ego-manaic he'd still be worth something in a trade to another team who thinks they can be the ones to cure his attitude problems.

I agree about Schroeder.

Really depends on where we draft and if we can trade down.

I trust the Magic scouts in the draft. Wow, haven't said that in a long time.