Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

13 hours ago, Shine88 said:

Yeah, but I'm more concern with Suggs, though. It's year 3 and we haven't seen no improvement on the offensive end. I never really watched him at Gonzaga, outside of the National Championship. I just brought in to the hype from all the draftniks, and boy were they wrong. The kid is the SG version of Isaac Okoro. Hopefully, he can turn it around, but like I said, it's year 3, so this might just be who he is. At this point, we're lucky if he turns into Marcus Smart. 

As for Black, the kid has a natural feel for the game. Extremely raw, but has loads of potential. He seems to make the right play all the time. Needs to work on his shot and tighten up his ball handling, though. 

Suggs offensive game has been the biggest disappointment so far this season. I never seen a guard get his pocket picked in open court more than him. The game just hasn't slowed down for him, and it's year 3 and that's a problem.

Yeah, and if he reaches his potential it will be great to have a 6'7 point guard with lock down defense. Many of us would have just liked the guy who can already play, like Hawkins.

Guys like Hawkins might not reach Blacks ceiling but they come in already knowing how to shoot.

That's why i wanted a big man with the first pick and the best shooter with the second. Many of us wanted Hawkins, i wanted Wallace but either would have been fine. At least Jet fits what i wanted them to draft and if he ends up being a great shooter it fits what we needed. We didn't need Black  with our top pick but if he turns out great i will take all this back. 

There's a lot of things that come to my mind about Magic's basketball and it's been just seven games, so I'm trying to tell myself "don't overreact".

I love Jalen Suggs, his defense and his all around effort. But I don't thinks he's gonna become a decent shooter in the middle term and if we are going to really compete, I think we could try another pieces at the 2 spot while the season is still young. Name it Gary Harris, Black, Howard, some-middle-season-freeagent, IDK. 

Our offense just get stuck sometimes. Paolo works better when he got space and doesn't have to deal with a wall right away every position, and that happens also to Franz with the cuts and attacks to the rim. But since we have no outside shoot, the paint is usually crowded. 

I think we don't have to underestimate the injury's effect on yesterday's night game , especially Markelle being out. I would appreciate more transparency about the state of the injuries but it's not like I'm surprised that we don't know when he or Gary Harris are going to come back. I don't think Wendell is going to be back until new year, and that's also going to hurt us.

I mean it's great we get to see Anthony Black, he looks really mature and engaged, and I really want him into the rotation. But the last season showed us that with Markelle we are one team and without him we are another.

I've been thinking lately that if we decide to actually compete this year we need to make a move in the middle-season market and bring some shooting to the team. We have asets to make things happen. But it will depend on the goal that the GMs think that we can point at on this year...

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Phil4Real said:

There's a lot of things that come to my mind about Magic's basketball and it's been just seven games, so I'm trying to tell myself "don't overreact".

I love Jalen Suggs, his defense and his all around effort. But I don't thinks he's gonna become a decent shooter in the middle term and if we are going to really compete, I think we could try another pieces at the 2 spot while the season is still young. Name it Gary Harris, Black, Howard, some-middle-season-freeagent, IDK. 

Our offense just get stuck sometimes. Paolo works better when he got space and doesn't have to deal with a wall right away every position, and that happens also to Franz with the cuts and attacks to the rim. But since we have no outside shoot, the paint is usually crowded. 

I think we don't have to underestimate the injury's effect on yesterday's night game , especially Markelle being out. I would appreciate more transparency about the state of the injuries but it's not like I'm surprised that we don't know when he or Gary Harris are going to come back. I don't think Wendell is going to be back until new year, and that's also going to hurt us.

I mean it's great we get to see Anthony Black, he looks really mature and engaged, and I really want him into the rotation. But the last season showed us that with Markelle we are one team and without him we are another.

I've been thinking lately that if we decide to actually compete this year we need to make a move in the middle-season market and bring some shooting to the team. We have asets to make things happen. But it will depend on the goal that the GMs think that we can point at on this year...

The injuries only seemed to affect us in the second half?

17 hours ago, Shine88 said:

Hawkins went for 31 tonight.

This is the type of floor spacer we need around Paolo and Franz. The Pelican can draft their ass off.

This was one of my picks for the draft. I’m depressed now thanks. Lol

Hawkins is playing off two ball dominant All Star players. Zion Williamson and Ingram. 

Can we please stop assuming he would have the same impact in our team? 

Hawkins wouldn’t be in our rotation with all our guards healthy. Facts. 

Suggs has more positive impact for our overall game than Hawkins. 

Also i’m not giving up and Suggs. He’s Marcus Smart type impact player. Super important for a winning culture. He’s a consistent three point shot away from being an elite 3 and D player. 

I don’t need him to be anything else.. 

Going forward we need an elite SG. Suggs will come off the bench. 

2 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

Hawkins is playing off two ball dominant All Star players. Zion Williamson and Ingram. 

Can we please stop assuming he would have the same impact in our team? 

Hawkins wouldn’t be in our rotation with all our guards healthy. Facts. 

Suggs has more positive impact for our overall game than Hawkins. 

Also i’m not giving up and Suggs. He’s Marcus Smart type impact player. Super important for a winning culture. He’s a consistent three point shot away from being an elite 3 and D player. 

I don’t need him to be anything else.. 

Going forward we need an elite SG. Suggs will come off the bench. 

He would have the same impact. The kid was the clear cut the best shooter in the draft. He could shoot on the move, spot up and off the dribble. Pretty much fits the exact player we need around Paolo and Franz. Paolo is averaging over 7 assists the past three games without a real shooter on the floor with him, imagine how many he'd average if he had a shooter on the floor with him. Hawkins is making life a lot easier for Zion, who is sort of similar to Paolo, with the power game and inconsistent shooting.

Look I love what Suggs brings on the defensive end, but the kid can't shoot or run the offense. His best fit is as a energy guy off the bench. He's a nice running partner for Cole off the bench.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Phil4Real said:

Jett Howard is the shooter

9 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

Jett Howard is the shooter

Not if he doesn't play he's not. 

And this team really needs more than just 1 shooter. 

• Upvote 2

ESPN put out a list of the best players under 25 years old.  Franz is at 16 with Barnes at 15.  Paulo is at 14 with Chet rated at 13 which I don’t agree with at all.  Luka is at number one for one last year.  The one I really don’t get is Cade is at 6 for some reason.

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Not if he doesn't play he's not. 

And this team really needs more than just 1 shooter. 

then play him. he was drafted because he is a sniper 1st n foremost but has more to his game 

50 minutes ago, MagicMan1979 said:

ESPN put out a list of the best players under 25 years old.  Franz is at 16 with Barnes at 15.  Paulo is at 14 with Chet rated at 13 which I don’t agree with at all.  Luka is at number one for one last year.  The one I really don’t get is Cade is at 6 for some reason.

Them lists are just gas 

12 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

then play him. he was drafted because he is a sniper 1st n foremost but has more to his game 

You must be confusing me for Jamahl Mosley.