Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

5 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

No can do, Schofield is on a 2 way, Patty isn't eligible for a 2 way. 

I’d waive Chuma in a heartbeat and pickup Patty. 

25 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

No can do, Schofield is on a 2 way, Patty isn't eligible for a 2 way. 

Ahh didn’t think admiral was still on a 2 way. I thought it was just Queen, Jett and Kevon

1 minute ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Ahh didn’t think admiral was still on a 2 way. I thought it was just Queen, Jett and Kevon

Jett isn't, Jett's on his rookie contract. Queen and Kevon are though. 

Speaking of, I liked Kevon, thought he looked a player. Wonder why we haven't seen anything of him this year? 

Just now, CTMagicUK said:

Speaking of, I liked Kevon, thought he looked a player. Wonder why we haven't seen anything of him this year? 

Are all rookies automatically 2 way eligible? Guess I don’t know how that works that well. I know Kevon was recovering from an injury most of the season, maybe that’s effecting his ability to make it back to the league.

2 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Are all rookies automatically 2 way eligible? Guess I don’t know how that works that well. I know Kevon was recovering from an injury most of the season, maybe that’s effecting his ability to make it back to the league.

Players with 3 years of NBA service or less can be assigned to the G league an unlimited number of times. (I just had to look this up tbf I didn't know the rules exactly).

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Our guard play is so outstanding that it’s hard for anyone else to crack the rotation.

• Downvote 1

16 hours ago, OnlyFranz said:

I’d waive Chuma in a heartbeat and pickup Patty. 

I was thinking the same thing. Which would be more valuable in our playoff run? There is a great opportunity that we should take advantage of. C'ya Chuma. We are in 6th and closing in on 4th!

Beware of Jalen Suggs when passing across the court

Look both ways before trying any crosscourt pass when Suggs is around, because ... watch out!

Yoink! That is an NBA pick-six from a guy who was once an elite football player. Suggs averages 1.4 steals while almost never gambling his way out of position. And even when he bets and loses, he's nimble enough changing directions -- and dangerous enough as a rearview shot-blocker -- to stay engaged:

Suggs is one of the league's most well-rounded defensive guards, with the speed to chase waterbug point guards and the heft to jostle with big wings. He is a cinder block with arms and very fast feet. The Magic's defense is built to last; they have held steady at No. 5 in points allowed per possession. They are physical, versatile, ultracompetitive, protective of the glass.

Suggs is also up to 39% on 3s after hitting just 32.7% last season and barely making any as a rookie. He has already made more 3s this season (113) than the 108 he hit combined in his first two. He's taking more -- 7.1 per 36 minutes, up from 5.8 last season. Suggs is even 28-of-73 (38%) on off-the-bounce 3s, already surpassing his career high in makes.

Marcus Smart -- a common Suggs comp -- has never hit better than 36.4% on 3s in any season and has only exceeded Suggs's current attempt rate twice.

Defenses will remain skeptical until Suggs proves it over a larger sample; they still ignore him on the perimeter to clog the lane on Paolo Banchero and Franz Wagner. That will change if Suggs keeps punishing them.

The Magic are 29th in 3-point attempts and 25th in 3-point shooting percentage. Their shooting deficit is the main reason they are on pace to finish 20th or worse in offensive efficiency for the 12th straight season -- a baffling streak of punchlessness that has become one of my favorite oddities.

One of the biggest crossroads facing any team is Orlando's appetite to acquire a star guard who can both shoot and run some portion of the offense. Markelle Fultz doesn't appear to be happening. Anthony Black is barely 20, far away as a shooter. (He is a fantastic defender.) Cole Anthony appears to be in the right place as a sixth man. Gary Harris' contract expires after this season. Jett Howard has played 49 NBA minutes.

Suggs might end up checking the shooting box, but he has not grown as much as an orchestrator. He runs only 12 pick-and-rolls per 100 possessions, very low for a starting guard. The Magic have scored only 0.85 points per possession directly out of those plays -- 172nd out of 196 guys who have run at least 100 pick-and-rolls, per Second Spectrum.

But Orlando runs a lot of offense through Banchero and Wagner, and they probably would like to keep it that way. Plopping, say, Trae Young into this mix amounts to an overhaul. Is there an in-between solution -- a starting-level guard who can shoot, defend, pass and soak up some offense but not so much as to reorient everything? That's a tough needle to thread.

If the Magic can't find that player, is the only solution to wait and hope?

The Magic are loaded with cap space and trade assets. They will be fascinating to monitor this summer and going forward. Suggs fits no matter what direction they take.

https://www.espn.com.au/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/39623501/lowe-nikola-jokic-most-terrifying-sight-nba

• Upvote 1