Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2023 Pre-Season Thread

It’s been nice two games.. We struggle a bit defensively with the puck and roll, but then again, about everybody struggles with Garland! 

i like that we can keep up though. Franz looked really sharpe. And i actually feel like there is still some room to be more aggressive and more selfish on offense. I feel like Fultz and Banchero can to about anything, but are looking to get others involved too much. We need to balance sharing the ball and finishing by ourselves

overall there is a lot to be positive about.. Even the Cleveland announcers (usually very biased imo) notice how tough we play and that we never let the foot of the gas. they said we are a tough team to beat for everybody. 

Let’s just hope we stay healthy 

10 hours ago, MagicFanDan said:

Thanks for the update. Who’s been impressive and who’s been disappointing. 

What’s impressed me the most is how fluid our starting 5 has been when running their sets. Everyone knows where they are supposed to be and guys are making the extra pass looking for the best shot available. Franz game is carrying over from his World Cup play and the confidence is evident especially his 3 point shooting. Paolo is passing very well and is looking to get others involved early. Suggs continues to be a pest on defense and last night his 3 point shot looked much improved, you can tell he’s been working on that all summer. Anthony is also looking sharp off the bench and not forcing shots like in previous years. JI’s offense is still a bit rusty but his defense is still game changing, I feel like his offense will come along with the more in game reps he gets. Joe Ingles will be a good player for us he’s a legitimate 3 point threat, is a willing passer, and he also brings that fire on the court ala Mo Wagner. Fultz continues to get to the basket at will and his 3 point shot is looking much more fluid and improved. Wendell Carter looks automatic from everywhere on the court he is shooting with confidence and continues being aggressive on the defensive and offensive boards. Anthony Black is another pest on defense but his offense and play making so far leave a lot to be desired. Mo keeps doing Mo like things which is always bringing physicality and energy to that 2nd unit. The biggest disappointments to me so far have been G Harris and Chuma Okeke don’t really see them in the rotation this year unless injuries force them into the lineup. Those are some of my takeaways from the first 2 games that we’ve played. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

In this era of selfishness it was nice to see Paolo share the ball so much with Franz, who also made a lot of extra passes to WCJ.

Suggs can be a perfect starting pesty Guard in the vein of Smart or Jrue Holiday.

Fultz is nice and plays team ball.

Mo Wagner is a 4 and it was great to see him play alongside Bitadze.

We'll be eating fine this year

I consider the Cavs starting 5 to be a pretty good team and we handled them pretty easily. Their announcers kept commenting about how BIG we are.

2 game preseason observations. 

Franz is even better. I'd like to see him rebound more.

Paolo is even better. His D seems a bit better too.

Suggs is everywhere on defense, he's fast and he's relentless.

Fultz can get to the hole any time he wants to and his D looks good. 

We still need Suggs, Fultz, and Paolo to get better on 3s.

Carter looks great and seems ready to shoot from anywhere.

Isaac on the floor totally changes the 2nd unit.

With more games under his belt AB will be just fine. His defensive effort is excellent!

Admiral still plays very hard.

Chuma is still a ?

Jingles was a great addition. He and Mo will get under a lot of players skin.

Howard seems a litle lost at times but IMO he will be a great player once he gets up to speed.

Harris should only get spot minutes when we need some 3s and are willing to run plays for him. He just doesn't seem like he can be fully involved in the game.

Mo is Mo, love him!

Queen looks pretty good and will probably beat out Kevon for a spot.

McClung looks very good out there and could be a steal.

Cole seems improved, better effort on D, and seems willing to play less hero ball.

MCW will be a good mentor for the young ones.

Caleb is still a big ?

Overall if we can stay healthy we have a good shot at beating anybody we play. Here's to a great season!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

20 hours ago, OnlyFranz said:

What’s impressed me the most is how fluid our starting 5 has been when running their sets. Everyone knows where they are supposed to be and guys are making the extra pass looking for the best shot available. Franz game is carrying over from his World Cup play and the confidence is evident especially his 3 point shooting. Paolo is passing very well and is looking to get others involved early. Suggs continues to be a pest on defense and last night his 3 point shot looked much improved, you can tell he’s been working on that all summer. Anthony is also looking sharp off the bench and not forcing shots like in previous years. JI’s offense is still a bit rusty but his defense is still game changing, I feel like his offense will come along with the more in game reps he gets. Joe Ingles will be a good player for us he’s a legitimate 3 point threat, is a willing passer, and he also brings that fire on the court ala Mo Wagner. Fultz continues to get to the basket at will and his 3 point shot is looking much more fluid and improved. Wendell Carter looks automatic from everywhere on the court he is shooting with confidence and continues being aggressive on the defensive and offensive boards. Anthony Black is another pest on defense but his offense and play making so far leave a lot to be desired. Mo keeps doing Mo like things which is always bringing physicality and energy to that 2nd unit. The biggest disappointments to me so far have been G Harris and Chuma Okeke don’t really see them in the rotation this year unless injuries force them into the lineup. Those are some of my takeaways from the first 2 games that we’ve played. 

Much appreciated, can’t wait for a televised broadcast so I can watch. 

20 hours ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

Admiral still plays very hard.

Chuma is still a ?

Queen looks pretty good and will probably beat out Kevon for a spot.

McClung looks very good out there and could be a steal

MCW will be a good mentor for the young ones.

Caleb is still a big ?

Overall if we can stay healthy we have a good shot at beating anybody we play. Here's to a great season!

While I like most of your post, just a couple comments on the sections I quoted. We already have 15 guys under contract for the regular roster, and two of our three 2-way players signed. That leaves us one, 2-way to fill unless we waive someone. 

Chuma and Caleb may be on that “bubble” to be waived. I don’t see us waiving either, never mind both. Admiral and Kevon are both on 2-way and cheaper to cut/replace.

I like Mac and Queen, and I think one of them will be our final 2-way contract. My bet is Mac, because he plays PG. If Kelle or Cole is out a few games, Mac can help fill that role, so AB doesn’t have to before he is ready.

MCW will not be around to mentor unless he retires and becomes a player development coach. There is just not a space for him on this roster.

If we waive Chuma, and JI goes down again, can Queen step up? If we look at Mo primarily as a 4, and can fill that role with Ingles/Mo/Admiral/Queen, then Chuma could be expendable. If we waive Caleb, can we fill that role? Again with guys already on the roster, Ingles/Jett/Kevon/Admiral we have decent potential 3/2 backup. Could Queen step into a 3/4 backup role? I don’t see us waiving Chuma or Caleb, but I think we do have options, and that is a good place to be.

6 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

While I like most of your post, just a couple comments on the sections I quoted. We already have 15 guys under contract for the regular roster, and two of our three 2-way players signed. That leaves us one, 2-way to fill unless we waive someone. 

Chuma and Caleb may be on that “bubble” to be waived. I don’t see us waiving either, never mind both. Admiral and Kevon are both on 2-way and cheaper to cut/replace.

I like Mac and Queen, and I think one of them will be our final 2-way contract. My bet is Mac, because he plays PG. If Kelle or Cole is out a few games, Mac can help fill that role, so AB doesn’t have to before he is ready.

MCW will not be around to mentor unless he retires and becomes a player development coach. There is just not a space for him on this roster.

If we waive Chuma, and JI goes down again, can Queen step up? If we look at Mo primarily as a 4, and can fill that role with Ingles/Mo/Admiral/Queen, then Chuma could be expendable. If we waive Caleb, can we fill that role? Again with guys already on the roster, Ingles/Jett/Kevon/Admiral we have decent potential 3/2 backup. Could Queen step into a 3/4 backup role? I don’t see us waiving Chuma or Caleb, but I think we do have options, and that is a good place to be.

Personally I'd waive both Chuma and Caleb. Neither bring anything to the team that isn't replaceable cheap.

• Upvote 1

I feel like we are all watching this team and I actually want to put money on the over/under this year. Each year I'm like "this could be our year," but this year legitimately feels like all the pieces will come together to get us to 45+ wins.