Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2023 NBA Summer League Watch Thread

9 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

Keegan Murray and Tre Mann have been the best players of summer league so far.. 

Murray was who i wanted if our pick had dropped past 3. Not Ivey,not Sharpe! If we are picking our favorite non Magic players from that class he is my boy!

5 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Yes bigs dominate the NBA but they are Euros that can shoot or athletic as hell like Yannis …unless it’s Anthony Davis who can dominate defensively .

Shaq played 90 games at LSU …Banchero played 40 at Duke …Shaq first year at LSU averaged 14 and 12 …Banchero only year at Duke was 17 and 8 …so similar numbers …but my goodness the next season at LSU Shaq exploded for 28, 15 and throw in 5 blocks a game …Banchero first year with the Magic was 20, 7 and 4 assists a game …only reason Shaq didn’t go to the NBA sooner was because laws restricted it ….so there’s that .

So absolutely no doubt in my mind if Shaq first year played with the talent Banchero had this season they could at minimum make the top 10 teams in the East .

We already discussed the discrepancy in talent with each player first year in the league.

If you want to continue with labeling Banchero as a generational talent have at it but I think it’s too soon.

Looking forward to tonight’s games in summer league …Portland and Houston at 7 and the rockstar Webanyana at 9 for his debut on national TV .

Magic on in prime time tomorrow night on ESPN …get to see Mr Anthony Black.

All Magic first overall picks are HOF players it's a lock. 

I love some basketball but summer league is unwatchable. I'll catch the Magic game today and hope for better.

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Came for the Wemby comments! Guess it’s too early 

Hahahaha. Whats your thoughts MP

• Like 1

I didn’t watch Jabari Smith much last year …for me what I read was a disappointment …but he was impressive last night …still not a beat you off the dribble guy …but did a little of everything …Portland tried that unnecessary lob with 6 seconds left when all they had to do was dribble it out …not only did Smith hit the game winner but it was him who blocked the attempted dunk .

Didn't watch much of the Spurs but Wemby stat line was unimpressive …at least points .

Too bad about Scoot but the time he was out there was highly impressive …clearly kid can get anywhere he wants without benefit of a screen ….

Your turn Anthony Black and Jett Howard ….

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

I didn’t watch Jabari Smith much last year …for me what I read was a disappointment …but he was impressive last night …still not a beat you off the dribble guy …but did a little of everything …Portland tried that unnecessary lob with 6 seconds left when all they had to do was dribble it out …not only did Smith hit the game winner but it was him who blocked the attempted dunk .

Didn't watch much of the Spurs but Wemby stat line was unimpressive …at least points .

Too bad about Scoot but the time he was out there was highly impressive …clearly kid can get anywhere he wants without benefit of a screen ….

Your turn Anthony Black and Jett Howard ….

- Amen is impressive - if he gets the ball

- Cam isn’t playing smart basketball - he thinks he’s a number 1 option

- Jabari got hot in the second half - still don’t like how Houston utilizes him. Maybe Udoka changes things in Houston 

- Eason is going to be an elite role player

Overall Houston is a talented crew, but the character of that team is going to be a problem. I don’t see a team growing together. I see a bunch of „me first“ players, playing alongside 

- Portland has a bright future

- Scoot is a star, no doubt. Future All Star for sure. He’s different. Also played highly efficient before getting injured

- Sharpe is also a star. Nor doubt! He can really develop into a ultra athletic Devin Booker. He’s so skilled.

13 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

- Amen is impressive - if he gets the ball

- Cam isn’t playing smart basketball - he thinks he’s a number 1 option

- Jabari got hot in the second half - still don’t like how Houston utilizes him. Maybe Udoka changes things in Houston 

- Eason is going to be an elite role player

Overall Houston is a talented crew, but the character of that team is going to be a problem. I don’t see a team growing together. I see a bunch of „me first“ players, playing alongside 

- Portland has a bright future

- Scoot is a star, no doubt. Future All Star for sure. He’s different. Also played highly efficient before getting injured

- Sharpe is also a star. Nor doubt! He can really develop into a ultra athletic Devin Booker. He’s so skilled.

I think Udoka is a good coach to put together these pieces as he did a good job doing so in Boston - but I agree: Tons of talent and will take a Denzel in Remember the Titans type of inspiration to get these "me first" players to buy in and play cohesively. 

2 hours ago, Jay Magic said:

Hahahaha. Whats your thoughts MP

I have no crystal ball, but Wemby has always seemed like a secondary option on offense, and could become an overpowered Anthony Davis if he hits his ceiling.

It’s tough for secondary ball handlers to really dominate in the NBA, but we’ve seen guys like Garnett, Dirk etc. be really effective.

I don’t think he’ll be amazing in his first year (like Giannis wasn’t) but in a few years he could be spectacular.

This is a reminder to everybody (especially myself) to not get to high or to low after todays summer league game. 

Reality is we probably get blown out as Pistons basically brought their regular season team. 

• (0) Jalen Duren – Detroit Pistons [Pick No. 13 in 2022 NBA Draft
  • (9) Ausar Thompson – Overtime Elite [Pick No. 5 in 2023 NBA Draft]
  • (12) Isaiah Livers – Detroit Pistons [Pick No. 42 in 2021 NBA Draft]
  • (13) James Wiseman – Detroit Pistons [Pick No. 2 in 2020 NBA Draft]
  • (23) Jaden Ivey – Detroit Pistons [Pick No. 5 in 2022 NBA Draft]
  • (25) Marcus Sasser – Houston [Pick No. 25 in 2023 NBA Draft]

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

I think Udoka is a good coach to put together these pieces as he did a good job doing so in Boston - but I agree: Tons of talent and will take a Denzel in Remember the Titans type of inspiration to get these "me first" players to buy in and play cohesively. 

If he can get Green, Porter Jr., and Whitmore to buy in, then Houston will be a problem in a year or two.

I kind of wish they didn't sign VanVleet, so Amen could be thrown to the fire. I like his game alot. I believe they had Black higher on their board than Ausar, but I think Amen was higher than Black. The kid a stud.