CTMagicUK

2023 NBA Free Agency Thread

Free Agency opens at 6pm EST tonight!

Today is also the guaranteed date for the contracts of Bol, G Harris and Markelle.

We currently have a $2m cap hold on Mo Wagner which will allow us to resign him even if we're over the cap using his Bird rights.  (There are other cap holds at the moment also but they're not important and won't factor into anything)

After waiving Schofield and MCW but retaining Goga the Magic's situation is this: 

We currently have, if my math is correct, roughly 19.8 mil in cap room. This is including the Mo Wagner cap hold (which we could waive to free up the additional 2m if we need to). Set to rise to 22mil in the event we waive Bol. (Or 35 in what feels like the seemingly unlikely event we waive Bol and Gary Harris)

We have more than 48m underneath the tax, so we're at basically no risk of being a tax team.

We have 14 guys under contract currently. 

We also have the Room Exception of 2/15.4 which we can use after we've used all our cap space if we need to. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Free Agency opens at 6pm EST tonight!

Today is also the guaranteed date for the contracts of Bol, G Harris and Markelle.

We currently have a $2m cap hold on Mo Wagner which will allow us to resign him even if we're over the cap using his Bird rights.  (There are other cap holds at the moment also but they're not important and won't factor into anything)

After waiving Schofield and MCW but retaining Goga the Magic's situation is this: 

We currently have, if my math is correct, roughly 19.8 mil in cap room. This is including the Mo Wagner cap hold (which we could waive to free up the additional 2m if we need to). Set to rise to 22mil in the event we waive Bol. (Or 35 in what feels like the seemingly unlikely event we waive Bol and Gary Harris)

We have more than 48m underneath the tax, so we're at basically no risk of being a tax team.

We have 14 guys under contract currently. 

We also have the Room Exception of 2/15.4 which we can use after we've used all our cap space if we need to. 

That is a lot of cap $$$$$$.....to put to work.

Who is in and who is out are the Q's?  

Gary Harris $13K's staying 100% guaranteed?

Bol Bol @ $2K, I think stays.

I have very low expectations for this summer. I think we'll sign guys that make our team better but will save cap space for the big contracts coming up for our younger guys. 

14 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I have very low expectations for this summer. I think we'll sign guys that make our team better but will save cap space for the big contracts coming up for our younger guys. 

better to keep expectations low.. 

the last time we had cap space and flexibility like that, we managed to waste that and sign Jeff Green, Biyombo.. yikes

Yeah it's hard to imagine something big happening. It would seem for a really big splash we would have to waive Bol and Gary. However, that seems unlikely since Gary is cheap,on a one year deal and our best 3 point shooter. So i'm with everyone else, expect small moves. I still say they take a shot at acquiring Hartenstein from the Knicks, they wanted him last summer.

Rumours around that Cleveland are trying to sign and trade for Strus with the Heat, and a possible unnamed third team, so they can pay him more than the MLE. Feels relevant since he's been linked with us.

Trendon Watford just got waived by Portland. He's the type of guy I'd love to add on a 2 way if he doesn't find a guaranteed contract. 

Actually honestly he almost certainly gets a guaranteed deal, I'd maybe still think about targeting him. He's pretty good. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Rumours around that Cleveland are trying to sign and trade for Strus with the Heat, and a possible unnamed third team, so they can pay him more than the MLE. Feels relevant since he's been linked with us.

Who would we get from Cleveland? Make Cedi Osman our Hedo-lite?

17 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Who would we get from Cleveland? Make Cedi Osman our Hedo-lite?

I wasn't implying we were the third team lol

But yea Cedi Osman is basically the only guy that seems reasonable and stands out if it was us. Maybe Dean Wade I guess as a floor spacing 4. 

Reaves, who joined the Lakers as an undrafted rookie in 2021, broke out in a major way in 2022/23, averaging 13.0 PPG, 3.4 APG, and 3.0 RPG with an excellent .529/.398/.864 shooting line in 64 regular season games (28.8 MPG). He was a full-time starter in the postseason and played even better, putting up 16.9 PPG, 4.6 APG, and 4.4 RPG on .464/.443/.895 shooting in 16 contests (36.2 MPG). Because he only has two years of NBA experience under his belt, Reaves will be an Arenas provision free agent, meaning his earnings are capped at about $102MM across four years. The Lakers will have the ability to match any offer he gets, but will only be able to directly offer about $54MM over four years. The big question is whether a rival suitor will make life difficult on L.A. by giving Reaves a big, back-loaded offer sheet or whether the Lakers will be able to lock him up without any other clubs getting involved.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/06/top-50-nba-free-agents-of-2023.html

Maybe it's from being on the Lakers, but these percentages by Reaves last year were Brunson-esque. I hope we are really vetting this situation, regardless of how many guards we have, because if these percentages hold up, he'll make some team very proud.

Looks like we just guaranteed Fultz, Harris and maybe Bol? (the reporting on him is vague)

Does this mean anything? Are they keepers for the season? Or did we just guarantee so that we can trade?