Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

4 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

Good win, was a tricky game even if OKC was on a back to back, but we were on the middle of another layoff and with the suspended players still + Bol.

From next game, a new season should start for us. First of all, I would go back to the Wendell-Banchero pairing now that Bol is out and the old streak is over. They're the ones that need to play together more to improve long term, but also short term we need a little more def in that starting lineup. I'm not a big fan of playing Franz at SG but I've to admit it mostly worked, so we have a few different solutions there. Will be interesting if Isaac finally comes back, he would give us another different option. For example, considering that the coach seem to like big lineups, with the same Franz at SG + Banchero-Isaac+Wendell. Would be an interesting mix of def, off and playmaking.

I think it’s time to go back to a more traditional lineup with Harris at SG and Franz at SF.  Hopefully that’s what they do.  

On another note, it looks like Mo is still suspended for tonight?   I thought he only got a 2 game suspension, and he didn’t play in either of the last two games.  

27 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

I think it’s time to go back to a more traditional lineup with Harris at SG and Franz at SF.  Hopefully that’s what they do.  

On another note, it looks like Mo is still suspended for tonight?   I thought he only got a 2 game suspension, and he didn’t play in either of the last two games.  

So apparently he was ill for the first game he was set to miss and the league only starts the suspension when he's healthy or something. 

He should have said nothing about the illness! :P At least we'll have a few fresh guys for the back to back.

I like the more traditional lineup too, those big starting lineups are a bit too much for me (and also for the style of the league I assume... guard dominant) but it's a great thing to have multiple options available.

Fultz-Harris-Wagner-Banchero-Carter is the route I would go for the starting linuep, and if coach like to use those big ones and it's better to rotate everyone, maybe we can apply it with the second unit. If Isaac will be finally back and healthy, that adds another layer to our options, but also create a lot of competition in our big man rotation. Someone could be unhappy with playing time in the future. Suggs being back would be more important from a depth point of view. In general, we have a very long list of rotation players in the roster (when healthy), deadline  should be the moment to sell some depth and add some quality IMO.

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

So apparently he was ill for the first game he was set to miss and the league only starts the suspension when he's healthy or something. 

I didn’t realize that.  Thank you for the info. 

sGESyh.png      HEADS UP - MAGIC FANS!
~SATURDAY NIGHT~
MAGIC AT WARRIORS
Chase Center - San Francisco, CA
Saturday, January 7th at 8:30 P.M. Est
TV:  Bally Sports FL

BE THERE. Don't Leave Us Hanging!  :)
I have prepared a game thread starter that I have posted for the game--if interested. 
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 6:09 AM, CTMagicUK said:

Caleb Houstan is shooting 54% on corner 3s according to bballref.

So with all our guys getting healthy again …Suggs role offensively, at least so far is putting him in the corner while we run the offense through Banchero, Franz …Fultz and Cole run point …Houstan shoots 54% while Suggs shoots a team worst 28% …things that make you go Hhhmmm …thanks for the stat …did not know .

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

So with all our guys getting healthy again …Suggs role offensively, at least so far is putting him in the corner while we run the offense through Banchero, Franz …Fultz and Cole run point …Houstan shoots 54% while Suggs shoots a team worst 28% …things that make you go Hhhmmm …thanks for the stat …did not know .

I think ultimately you are creating a team, and that team needs great role players, whether that is a corner sharpshooter like Dennis Scott, or defensive stopper like Tony Allen. What's the full package that player brings and how does it serve the teams need to win?

Jalen Suggs is 21 years old and a smart, very good athlete with a desire to work hard and get dirty. The only thing missing from his repertoire is a consistent outside jumper (and maybe consistent personal health). 

Caleb Houston is a great outside shooter and might be a good defender, but he's one dimensional in many regards. 

If we were only looking at this season, I think Houston fits in better as a starter and game finisher, but I'm thankful Suggs is only in his second season in the league and should continue to grow. Remember when our team chose Evan Fournier over Victor Oladipo because after three seasons, Victor Oladipo still didn't have a consistent jumper as 23 years old? Let's not repeat that mistake and make presumptions.

• Upvote 2

On 1/6/2023 at 6:09 AM, CTMagicUK said:

Caleb Houstan is shooting 54% on corner 3s according to bballref.

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

. . .Caleb Houston is a great outside shooter and might be a good defender, but he's one dimensional in many regards. 

If we were only looking at this season, I think Houston fits in better as a starter and game finisher, but I'm thankful Suggs is only in his second season in the league and should continue to grow. Remember when our team chose Evan Fournier over Victor Oladipo because after three seasons, Victor Oladipo still didn't have a consistent jumper as 23 years old? Let's not repeat that mistake and make presumptions.

Correct me if I am misreading you, but are you suggesting that Houstan is lacking on defense--needs to improve?

Dennis Scott was a great outside shooter. How was he on defense, and was he one dimensional?

The Magic won a lot of games with Scott's 3 pt. shooting and spreading the floor.

I think Suggs is a bigger risk at keeping than Houstan because he plays out of control on defense. Last night Suggs found himself on his back on the floor twice after being sandwiched between 2 opponents. Yes, and he was playing defense. I gasped and said: "Oh, no!" I thought he was injured because his legs were bent and up in the air like a fold up chair.

Nobody is making any presumptions …CTMagic gave you corner 3 shooting stats …I added to it …you guys can pick who you want shooting corner 3’s …I know who I’d want right now … but I question when we’re healthy where Suggs fits …seems like Coach has settled into a PG rotation …is he a shooting guard or a PG ? …and I’m liking the Franz at the 2 thing …if his minutes get cut which looks likely will he be happy ? …things that will work themselves out in time ….lastly, with Fultz looking good I don’t see a lot of minutes for Suggs at the point