Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

2022-2023 Season Thread

Any word on how Isaac is doing in Lakeland? I know I can probably answer that myself but after nearly 2 years of "encouraging" reports I've grown to find that term subjective 

Stopping that blowout spiral was hard, but now we seem to finally start rolling. Let's keep it up and build on it, hoping to recover a couple more players soon.

11 hours ago, Natesroom said:

this was hilarious... i would love to see you do more humorous conversations like this!

Happy to shoot some more out over time. I guess those creative writing classes in college years ago turned out to be useful for something lol 

Hollinger on tanking. Interesting perspective. He basically argues for finishing in the bottom eight if you are near the bottom anyway.

Teams looking at the landscape right now can see an opening for positioning themselves in that 5-to-8 range that still gives decent odds of lottery riches. The team with the eighth-worst record has a 6.0 percent chance of the top pick and better than 1-in-4 odds of landing in the top four.

Getting lower than that will be difficult but perhaps not impossible. While some teams at the bottom of the standings have shown some friskiness of late (A 50-point first quarter? That you, Orlando? How? Were you playing 18-minute quarters?), there is still a quintet that owns the bottom (top?) of the lotto leaderboard. San Antonio and Detroit will be, let’s say, “difficult to catch” in the tanking chase, Houston remains young and wild, Orlando has no guards, and Charlotte took over the league’s worst record in Wednesday’s dramatic face-off with the Pistons. 

That’s just five teams, though, and one or two of them might win enough to reel in a couple of teams ahead of them. Thus, with the rest of the league in a pileup around the .500 mark, pivoting to tanking early could prove quite rewarding for a few clubs.

https://theathletic.com/4004379/2022/12/15/hollinger-nba-tanking-victor-wembanyama/?redirected=1

Edit: Please note, I'm anti-tanking at this point. I believe we have two up-and-coming stars in Franz and Paulo, and I think we can add a high caliber guard in free agency if needs be. We need to win moving forward, plain and simple. If we experience a catastrophic injury, that might change my perspective.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

Hollinger on tanking. Interesting perspective. He basically argues for finishing in the bottom eight if you are near the bottom anyway.

https://theathletic.com/4004379/2022/12/15/hollinger-nba-tanking-victor-wembanyama/?redirected=1

Edit: Please note, I'm anti-tanking at this point. I believe we have two up-and-coming stars in Franz and Paulo, and I think we can add a high caliber guard in free agency if needs be. We need to win moving forward, plain and simple. If we experienced a catastrophic injury, that might change my perspective.

I am with you. No more tanking. We have two All Star Forwards to build around. The hard part is done. We need shooters and high level defensive role players. Paolo and Wagner have a Brown and Tatum vibe.  Only our guys are much further developed early in their careers. 

• Upvote 1

Hollinger said Orlando has no guards …noted lol 

Anyway, tall task ahead this weekend …talking heads say Boston is the best team in the league …we’ve got an ominous back to back with them …win or lose let’s see what kind of strides we’ve made going in there coming off an impressive 4 game winning streak over winning, playoff caliber teams …also of note Robert Williams will be returning tonight so the Celts will be at full strength .

Hopefully we are competitive with them …GO MAGIC !

If we win tonight and lose the back to back i am ok with that or lose then win. either way it will show our ability to not get flustered. I do think teams are really hounding Paolo defensively now that he is not getting the same looks as the first 10 games. Speaks well about how he warps the defense that they cannot leave him without a man to man hard up defensive player.

For whatever it’s worth RJ Hampton requested to be assigned to the G League so he could get more playing time. This tells me 2 things, first that he’s hungry and wants to get better and second he’s completely out of our rotation and most likely won’t be with us passed the trade deadline. I like RJ just wish he would play within himself, had a higher b ball iq, and that he knew how to use his speed to his advantage instead of playing so out of control. 

26 minutes ago, Forumreader said:

I would need someone to help me understand the pick from the bulls this 2023

It's top 4 protected. Picks 1-4 the Bulls keep it else we get it. We want them to be quite bad but not all the way bad.