Bauncey Chillups

2018 NBA Draft Thread

2 hours ago, Magicfan1987 said:

there ain't a player in this draft that would sell more tickets than Trae Young

Yes there is..... His name is Luka.............

2 hours ago, magicdoc1 said:

I like The line up but you are leaving my Guy Out. How come you have Biz over Birch?

I like Birch more, but Biz's contract gives him a certain status. I'd also love to see Hezonja start at SG

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

Ah, bringing back unpleasant memories of 5-6 years ago when if you had any doubts about Henningan being a genius, you got posts like this telling you to shut up unless you could be a better GM.  This is no better than the argument someone made recently that certain sportswriters weren't qualified to write because they hadn't themselves won any championships.

I'm no GM.  I have a different job.  I don't spend all my time evaluating players.  I don't have a staff who evaluates players reporting to me.  I don't have conversations with other GM's.  I don't talk to our coach. 

I dislike the tanking strategy for reasons I have posted many times.  I prefer maximizing what you have, as we did with "heart and hustle".  There are plenty of reputable basketball people who also eschew tanking.  Instead of addressing that with reasoned discussion, as have many others in posts above, you would rather throw rocks with posts like this.  Fine.  Doesn't seem to have the backing it had about 5 years ago, though, after people have seen what the Magic have gone through the past 5 years.  You might need to come up with a new gig.

I also think tanking is bad for the league and would love to see it solved.  But, as of now, tanking is popular among owners of teams not doing well.  Five teams this year alone, one of which got fined.  The League has done a terrible job addressing the problem.  Probably because the lottery setup is a cash bonanza with ratings and PR benefits.  Tanking will continue, and fans will expect it if their teams have no chance at the playoffs.  Why, because the reward is worth the risk.  The facts back up the fact that if you finish in the top 3, or if your odds increase the fact that you will get a top 3 pick, your team, more than likely, ends up with a really good player.  Not all but more All Stars come out of the top 3 picks than  all the rest of the picks.  Next year's changes will not stop tanking.  They may change how you tank but the top 3 picks will still have the best chance at getting the best picks.  If we are truly tanking this year, and it appears we are, I applaud that move because of our unique circumstances this year (injuries).  I think it should be a thought out process balancing building a winning culture, developing your young players, and adding talent through the draft.  Because of our salary cap restrictions, the draft this year is our best avenue to build a better team.  A year or two from now it might be different as salary cap sapce become available.  But tnking this year is a great move!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Originalticketholder said:

I also think tanking is bad for the league and would love to see it solved.  But, as of now, tanking is popular among owners of teams not doing well.  Five teams this year alone, one of which got fined.  The League has done a terrible job addressing the problem.  Probably because the lottery setup is a cash bonanza with ratings and PR benefits.  Tanking will continue, and fans will expect it if their teams have no chance at the playoffs.  Why, because the reward is worth the risk.  The facts back up the fact that if you finish in the top 3, or if your odds increase the fact that you will get a top 3 pick, your team, more than likely, ends up with a really good player.  Not all but more All Stars come out of the top 3 picks than  all the rest of the picks.  Next year's changes will not stop tanking.  They may change how you tank but the top 3 picks will still have the best chance at getting the best picks.  If we are truly tanking this year, and it appears we are, I applaud that move because of our unique circumstances this year (injuries).  I think it should be a thought out process balancing building a winning culture, developing your young players, and adding talent through the draft.  Because of our salary cap restrictions, the draft this year is our best avenue to build a better team.  A year or two from now it might be different as salary cap sapce become available.  But tnking this year is a great move!

If the league wants to retain the ratings and cash cow that is the lottery, all they need to do to prevent tanking is give every team in the lottery the same odds. Put every teams name in the hat and draw them out one by one. Sure that gives a brink play off team like the Clippers and Pistons the same chance of landing a good player as the Suns and Hawks, but that should give teams the incentive to try and compete and get better rather than wallow and tank.

As for us, it does seem like the best move for us to try and get the highest pick possible. We look to have our two forwards in Isaac and Gordon, so if we could solve our center problem with Ayton or Bamb, or grab a guard like Doncic or Young, then that could be another piece to the puzzle. I would hope then that we would try and get better and compete rather than spend another season tanking for another high pick. 

What this team needs to do is take a page out of the Utah Jazz, Denver Nuggets and Miami Heat's book. All three have managed to rebuild without tanking and maintain a positive culture and style of basketball that helped them in bad years and is now still present in their good year. If we change head coach we need to make sure they build a positive culture even if we are bad again next season because that should set the foundation for prolonged success when we do turn the corner. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ?4thewin said:

Fixed

Ja! No way. He should stay another year in college. He will have better chances to get drafted next year. 

Young is the best True PG in the draft. Period. Above Shai, Sexton and everyone else.  I will love to draft a combination  of Young and Doncic or JJJ. Somehow aquiring another lottery pick by trading our 2 second rounders and Vuch? Jajaja

Young /DJ                      

Doncic/Fournier

Isaac/mario/Simmons

Gordon/Isaac

Birch / Biz

Or

Young/DJ

Fournier/simmons

Isaac/Mario

Gordon/issac

JJJ/Birch

BOOM!

10 minutes ago, magicdoc1 said:

Ja! No way. He should stay another year in college. He will have better chances to get drafted next year. 

Young is the best True PG in the draft. Period. Above Shai, Sexton and everyone else.  I will love to draft a combination  of Young and Doncic or JJJ. Somehow aquiring another lottery pick by trading our 2 second rounders and Vuch? Jajaja

Young /DJ                      

Doncic/Fournier

Isaac/mario/Simmons

Gordon/Isaac

Birch / Biz

Or

Young/DJ

Fournier/simmons

Isaac/Mario

Gordon/issac

JJJ/Birch

BOOM!

No lottery team is going to take two second round picks and Vucevic over Jackson. He has significantly more upside than Vucevic. 

The only teams in the top ten that aren't tanking and rebuilding are the Cleveland Cavaliers and Philadelphia 76ers. I don't see either team being attracted to the prospect of adding Vucevic. Everyone else is tanking and Vucevic isn't the type of player to move the needle for those teams, but Jackson in time might.

For me if we were to get another high pick it would require us giving up at least one future first and possibly Isaac or Gordon. I suppose teams could be tempted by Fournier and Vucevic but we'd have to sweeten the deal.

8 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

I like Birch more, but Biz's contract gives him a certain status. I'd also love to see Hezonja start at SG

Agree with you and MagicDoc about Birch. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DirtDan2012 said:

Yes there is..... His name is Luka.............

average Orlando basketball fan likely doesn't keep up with Euroleague ball