Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

I think a lot of our current issues stem from 3 seasons of ineffective JV coaching followed by just one year of Skiles and then back to uncertainty of what is to come. Not a great deal of player development, and too much change in the game plan to get good with one before the next one starts. I do think we may finally start to see some progress, unless we fall back into the cancer that caused most of where we are today.

Some here are concerned that Henny will become impatient and spend more to get players now. We all know the length of his patience. He's in it for the long game.

The thing about signing players is you're signing them with the understand that you ALSO must leave some room for your young up-and-coming stars to get paid as well (without dipping too far into luxury tax territory). Oladipo, Payton, and Gordon will all be clear of their rookie deals within one and two seasons respectively.

Unless we're hitting the ball out of the park on a second Free Agent, I wouldn't be surprised to see us not sign a 2nd FA to a long-term deal in order to make sure we have the money to pay those 3 guys over the next 2 offseasons.

I think a lot of our current issues stem from 3 seasons of ineffective JV coaching followed by just one year of Skiles and then back to uncertainty of what is to come. Not a great deal of player development, and too much change in the game plan to get good with one before the next one starts. I do think we may finally start to see some progress, unless we fall back into the cancer that caused most of where we are today.

I've been thinking about that lately. A coaching carousel is no good for a young developing team. That said, Vogel is the best coach we've had since SVG and I'm excited to see what he can do with this roster. Hopefully he's here for at least three years.

Some here are concerned that Henny will become impatient and spend more to get players now. We all know the length of his patience. He's in it for the long game.

The thing about signing players is you're signing them with the understand that you ALSO must leave some room for your young up-and-coming stars to get paid as well (without dipping too far into luxury tax territory). Oladipo, Payton, and Gordon will all be clear of their rookie deals within one and two seasons respectively.

Unless we're hitting the ball out of the park on a second Free Agent, I wouldn't be surprised to see us not sign a 2nd FA to a long-term deal in order to make sure we have the money to pay those 3 guys over the next 2 offseasons.

I get what you're saying, but we can exceed the cap to retain our own FA's so I don't think its all that important that we keep that money free. If we didn't have a track record for exceeding the salary cap I think your point would be legitimate, but Devos has shown a willingness to pay the luxury tax when the team on the court is competitive and contending. so I don't necessarily agree that we will be saving that money to re-sign our own guys. Just my opinion.