CTMagicUK

2016 NBA Draft Thread

More info on Chriss

Defensively, Chriss uses his athleticism to mark opponents on the perimeter as well as contest for defensive rebounds. Chriss also used his springs to block shots - a lot of them. He averaged 1.6 per game, including a 6-block performance against the University of Colorado.

Unfortunately, that desire to block shots lead to a lot of fouls - he average more than four per game. He fouled out of 15 games - in a season with 34 games, it's hard to understate how large of a problem that was. Things were so bad that the Washington Huskies arraigned for Chriss to meet with a sports psychologist to help him mentally deal with playing defense, according to the Seattle Times.

The mental aspect of the game showed up when he needed to defensive rebound as well. Against elite competition, simply being able to jump high isn't enough to get rebounds. Chriss often looked lost on the defensive glass, standing around, not putting a body on a player and letting them get position for offensive rebounds. They'd get the board, and then he'd foul them as they went back up.

Learning when to contest shots is a key development for his game on the next level. Players that could block every shot shouldn't necessarily try to block every shot - sometimes it's better to stick to your man, box out, and get the defensive rebound. Sometimes it's better to pass the ball back out to the perimeter rather than trying to dunk over them - it's something that could come with experience, but not every player gets it.

But the potential for Chriss to become a valuable contributor isn't going away. Come the 2016 draft, Chriss is still going to be the same height and have the same physical abilities. He can add more strength to his frame, improve his ballhandling, and work with coaches on his defensive rebounding. Chriss is one of the highest risk-reward players in the draft, in my opinion.

http://www.denversti...marquese-chriss

How did Myles turner go 11th in last years draft? Dude is a STUD!!

Fallout from Greg Oden. He had to go through intense physical therapy to learn how to run properly. I have no confidence that he'll be a durable nba player.

So, despite the obvious talent you don't take those risks in the top 8 or so.

I was preaching Miles Turner as a sleeper pick, but I knew early on Orlando wouldn't take that risk. Right now, it looks like they should have, but P4TW is right to worry about his durability. That said, he could just as easily have a monster career, because he still is nowhere near his potential. I'm convinced if he can stay healthy he can eventually step out to the 3-point line. And how many 20-year-old kids can play that well on D as a big man without fouling much (right at 4 per 36, which is solid for a rookie big).

Fallout from Greg Oden. He had to go through intense physical therapy to learn how to run properly. I have no confidence that he'll be a durable nba player.

I get that with the top 5, but after that I think Turner was worth the risk. He really shouldn't have fallen to 11 ever, but good for the Pacers I guess.

Looking at the draft, I would think teams like LA and Boston would be open to trading their pick in an effort to compete now. Maybe? Maybe not? Would a combo of Vooch and our 1st rounder be enough to snag the 2nd or 3rd pick to grab Ingram or Bender? Hasn't Henny been scouting Bender a lot?

Agreed, but it also depends on who else is available and what your needs are. In some drafts you would take a talent with upside like Myles Turner over someone that is a fairly NBA ready player but probably has limited upside (eg. Doug McDermott or Frank Kaminsky). Obviously there is a risk drafting someone like Myles Turner, but there are risks drafting any player, you simply have to weigh up whether it is worth taking the risk on that player. The 76ers drafted/acquired two big men with question marks next to their names, Nerlens Noel and Joel Embiid, one of them has turned into a good NBA player after sitting out their first year (Noel), while the other hasn't played in two years (Embiid). That's the thing with players with injury concerns, some of them get past it, some of them don't get past it. Problem is even "safe" players with healthy backgrounds can enter the league and get hurt (eg Julius Randle played 14 minutes and broke his leg, Jabari Parker played twenty five games and tore his ACL). Granted more safe picks pan out than the ones with significant injury question marks, but sometimes you have to take a risk if you want to land a potential difference maker versus a solid role player, and some will take that risk in the top 8 or so unless their is better alternative available.

I get that with the top 5, but after that I think Turner was worth the risk. He really shouldn't have fallen to 11 ever, but good for the Pacers I guess.

If we look at last year's draft the Kings (#6), Hornets (#9) and Pacers (#11) drafted bigs - Willie Cauley-Stein, Frank Kaminsky, and Myles Turner - here are their stats:

- WCS is averaging 21.2 minutes, 7 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.0 blk

- FK is averaging 21.1 minutes, 7.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 0.5 blk

- MT is averaging 22.9 minutes, 10.4 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 1.4 blk

If we look at their per 36 minutes stats:

- WCS would average 11.9 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 1.7 blk

- FK would average 12.9 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 0.9 blk

- MT would average 16.3 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 2.3 blk

In terms of production Myles Turner is beating them in both categories. At the time WCS projected to be a very athletic, defensively orientated player that was going to be pretty limited on the offensive end. Frank Kaminsky was projected to be skilled center on the offensive end, but he didn't have the ideal athleticism or physicality that is desired in a center. And Myles Turner was well liked because of his size, length, offense, and sheer upside. All three have been able to make the transition to the NBA, so I doubt any of their teams regret drafting the player they did, but Turner has certainly shown the teams that passed on him that he can be a good player in this league. It will be interesting to see if he keeps it up.

With the draft being my favorite event of the year, I've done my usual unnecessary research on most all of the U.S. prospects (admittedly I don't scout the Intl. players as much, just don't get to see them play like the NCAA guys), but having said that I can't help hoping this picks is part of a trade.

I know that's not the point of this thread, and I like talking about prospects more than anyone, but I really think the best thing for this team is to hopefully package this pick into a deal for a proven player.

With the draft being my favorite event of the year, I've done my usual unnecessary research on most all of the U.S. prospects (admittedly I don't scout the Intl. players as much, just don't get to see them play like the NCAA guys), but having said that I can't help hoping this picks is part of a trade.

I know that's not the point of this thread, and I like talking about prospects more than anyone, but I really think the best thing for this team is to hopefully package this pick into a deal for a proven player.

I don't watch a lot of college ball but I completely agree. This team doesn't need another young guy that we have to wait to develop. Trade the pick!

I don't watch a lot of college ball but I completely agree. This team doesn't need another young guy that we have to wait to develop. Trade the pick!

Perhaps, but there's an argument that young players could become quite valuable with the salary cap increasing. An increase in salary cap will boost player earnings and that should go for every player from the elite guys like Kevin Durant and LeBron James to average starters to bench players. If you look at what players like Lou Williams earns right now to come off the bench (about $7 million), or Nick Young (about $5 million), or Brandon Bass (about $3 million) - all of those guys are veterans that could play a role off the bench on a play off team. But those earnings are based on our current salary cap, what will happen to the contracts of this caliber of player under the new salary cap?

I suspect their earnings may see an increase. It's like Ben McLemore, he's talented but never utilised it to date, when he hits free agency under the new salary cap he will get paid a lot more than he would if he hit free agency under the existing salary cap. Thus, it could be an advantage for us to draft someone that could add firepower off the bench because their contract could be cheaper than we would have to pay a veteran. Plus, the drafting the right young player may lead to that young player improving and becoming a trade chip, or perhaps even improving enough to take over a starting position. Admittedly we need to look at our starting line up and rotation and bring in some help for our young core, and in theory we should try targeting one of the best free agents to give us a serious upgrade. But our first round pick still has value to us by giving us the chance to draft a player that could give us an impact off the bench and they will probably be cheaper than some of the veteran bench players under the new cap.

Yeah. This draft doesn't have a ton of upside after the top 5ish

Been thinking about our position in the draft, and wether Henny will want more young meat on the roster.

If he doesnt, do we package the pick and Vucevic and send them to boston for Butler?

Possibly give them Ilyasova aswell.

That creates a whole diff ball game heading into FA, We could be looking at Payton, Oladipo, Butler, Gordon, Dedmon starting lineup.

Imagine that defense, wow!

Not to mention, if Butler comes on draft day, with FA still to come. Does Horford, whiteside etc consider coming here to ORL? I think so.

Wishful thinking but, that would be an amazing outcome.